A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: MY attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza clone  (Read 7662 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: MY attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza clone
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2017, 09:32:53 AM »
He said he would recommend All Trumps high gluten flour and for the Vantaggio cheese, Grande Provolone, "both high end pizza ingrediants that are second to none."

Even though I read this the other day, I guess I didn't notice this part. I would not use Grande provolone for Tommy's style. In fact, I would not use Grande provolone for pizza. It has a very powerful fermented flavor. I'm pretty sure the pizza place across the street from me uses Grande provolone without blending it with any mozzarella, and I can't stand it. Yes, it is a great quality cheese, but I don't think it belongs on pizza.

I wouldn't use All Trumps, either. Or Power, or KASL (King Arthur high gluten).

Also, there is nothing proprietary about any of the ingredients Tommy's uses. Bellissimo and Vantaggio are house brands, probably comparable to generic.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:48:26 AM by Aimless Ryan »
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline mvnolan

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2017, 11:09:23 AM »
Thanks Zole, it's 10 am here, and I am starving now....  Great looking pie!!!   :drool:

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »
Great to know, Ryan! I was about to order some Grande Provo.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »
I accidentally deleted this post once, if I do that again, I will see how far my laptop can fly

Haven't made Tommy's in a while since my new oven died a month after the warranty expired, much to my chagrin. I recruited my neighbor to use her oven. Her oven is a basic oven, non convection like mine was but does go to 550. A plus

Started making the dough like normal but my non diastatic malt powder had coagulated into a hard clump. I used the equivalent in regular sugar. I have been using IDY for my last 7-8 attempts but realized IDY doesn't need blooming. I mixed the flour, salt, sugar together and added the manteca. I added the water and fired up the KA mixer. I used a long handled mixing spoon to help incorporate all of the flour. It took almost 6 minutes to pick all of the flour up. I did the bulk ferment for four hours and then to the fridge overnight. Rolled it out as usual and back to the fridge for four hours.

Pulled skins out and lightly docked them. Sauced both skins, put the cheese on (a sharp povolone, can't find a smoked prov locally, will be buying a smoked prov from Penn-Mac next time I buy from them) added the ezzo pepperoni and then added pecorino parm cheese instead of usual parm-rom.

Got the idea from this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Columbus/comments/26yc1o/tommys_pizza/

Heated the oven and stone for a hour. Had the bottom rack on the second to lowest rack. Had the top rack the second from the top. I used my perforated pan (like the Campus Tommy's uses although my pan holes are much smaller) going above the stone. I have had issues with the skin sticking to the wooden peel no matter how much flour I use. I decided to try cornmeal and it worked perfectly, the pie slid off perfectly onto the stone. There was no cornmeal flavor in the finished product.

Cooked the pies for about 10 minutes opening the oven three times to pop bubbles. Walked the pies back to our house and put them on meatl pans. Sliced them 4x4 and was pleasantly surprised to feel how crispy the crust was. Flipped a piece over and was very excited as to how well the crust had browned, the best to date. The lamination was great so the only thing left was to see how the finished product tasted. Everyone agreed it was about 98% close to Tommy's. The smoked provolone may do the remaining 2%. Hope so. Will be in Cbus in late October for the Penn State game and hope to meet up with Ryan again as well as Meg. 

Tommy's pizza fan. Trying to emulate Tommy's using Aimless Ryan's recipe

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2017, 05:38:29 PM »
I love it, great job. Like I said via text, I'll be at Penn Mac in a few days, so I will definitely check out their smoked provolone. Do you know what brand name it is? That's an affirmative yes to a Tommy's date when you're in Cbus in October.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline tedcholl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2017, 05:39:46 PM »
I'll be back in Columbus as well for the Penn State game.   I'd love to meet you all and enjoy a Tommy's pizza together.

Thanks for sharing the pics.   Pizza is looking great.   I do think the smoked Provolone makes a small but noticeable difference over unsmoked.   Glad I am able to get some at my local grocery - it is in the specialty cheese area vs the deli where I get the regular provolone.

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »
I love it, great job. Like I said via text, I'll be at Penn Mac in a few days, so I will definitely check out their smoked provolone. Do you know what brand name it is? That's an affirmative yes to a Tommy's date when you're in Cbus in October.
This is what I had bookmarked: http://www.pennmac.com/items/5734//Grande-Provolone-Log-Aged-Smoked-Provolone-Cheese

The pecorino romano: http://www.pennmac.com/items/3235//pecorino-romano-grated-doc-italian-cheese

Headed to the I.U. game on the 30th too.

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2017, 06:02:36 PM »
I'll be back in Columbus as well for the Penn State game.   I'd love to meet you all and enjoy a Tommy's pizza together.

Thanks for sharing the pics.   Pizza is looking great.   I do think the smoked Provolone makes a small but noticeable difference over unsmoked.   Glad I am able to get some at my local grocery - it is in the specialty cheese area vs the deli where I get the regular provolone.
I searched my local Restaurant Depot high and low for some smoked provolone but to no avail. My next Penn Mac order is going to be huge. Ezzo, smoked provolone and pecorino romano. Their inventory is amazing

Definitely have to get together the Penn State weekend. Was hoping it was going to be a night game but Fox has the World Series that night. Not a bad game time, can get Tommy's pregame AND post game.   

Offline tedcholl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
I just got my Penn Mac order delivered this past week,  Ezzo and also tried their Pizza sausage that's pretty good.   Take advantage of their 1/2 price shipping!  Saved me $16 for shipping 20 lbs.    Let me know what you think of their provolone as the 7.99/lb is much better than the 12.99 / lb I'm paying.

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »
My latest try was a disaster. I had a bunch of people for dinner and my normal two pizzas wouldn't have been enough. I did two pan pizza's (recipe from Serious Eats) at the same time. Big mistake. I had the Tommy's on the second to the top shelf and on the second shelf from the bottom on a stone. I had the pan pizzas on the middle shelf and they went in five minutes before Tommy's. Pretty sure the pan pizzas screwed up the cook. The top of the pizzas weren't done enough and the bottom of the pizza on the stone was pretty well burnt.

The good news is that we got a new oven, same convection type as we had before. Will be breaking in the new oven this week.     

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »
Awesome bubble pics!
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.