A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Have you had this cheese melt?  (Read 26625 times)

Offline Josh123

Re: Have you had this cheese melt?
« Reply #500 on: August 06, 2017, 05:25:35 PM »
Added another 1/2 ounce, now 9 oz mozz for 14''. No flour on the peel, just AP on the bench. Cheese amount was good, but my oregano is somewhat stale, flavor overall was just ok.

Nice looking pie

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #501 on: August 07, 2017, 09:24:24 PM »
I'm also getting better rim browning because I'm leaving the dough out longer to warm (which I think offsets the fact my yeast is 2 years old  :-[ )

Confirmed. I think Alexa laughed about how old my yeast is. Interested to see what happens with a new batch.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #502 on: August 12, 2017, 09:17:12 PM »
I'm starting to really get dialed in. Last week's mediocre bake was a learning experience. This week's bake was tremendous.

Stone temp 505, BS regulator down 1 and 3/4 turns. I've never had the BS temp so balanced. This regulator setting will seemingly hold 505 indefinitely during pre-heat. More importantly I achieved bottom doneness and my sought after melt with this setting.

9oz mozz confirmed fantastic for 14". (I didn't have enough mozz for 2 pies. The pie shown below was 7.5oz mozz and 1.5oz cheddar. It was darn good, but the 9oz mozz pie was even better. The lighting was more natural for the first pie which is why I'm showing it.)

Usual 3 tsp romano, 1.5 tsp parm, 1/4 tsp oregano on top of the sauce (1/2 cup + 2 tbs). 50% more garlic in the sauce.

My usual 5% oil in the dough. (I'm fairly certain that last week I accidently used about half that amount.)

Once again no flour on the peel.

I'm not sure what else to say!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:29:16 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #503 on: August 12, 2017, 10:12:33 PM »
Very nice!  :chef: Can't beat that deck oven bottom texture.

Offline Josh123

« Reply #504 on: August 12, 2017, 11:06:15 PM »
Nice pie!

Online jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #505 on: August 16, 2017, 05:55:29 PM »
Jeff

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #506 on: August 16, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »

My usual 5% oil in the dough. (I'm fairly certain that last week I accidently used about half that amount.)

Once again no flour on the peel.

I'm not sure what else to say!

I happened to try a higher oil% pizza today in NJ during a consulting job they go higher up to 8% with crisco and oil, real low h20 hydration at 52% baked on screen, there's an interesting and addictive balance of soft and chew and thin that I really like and a nice rim crust while maintaining a nice light crisp underneath.  They open their doughs with oil too in the opening which produces a real even undercrust.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:15:54 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #507 on: August 16, 2017, 09:10:20 PM »
I happened to try a higher oil% pizza today in NJ during a consulting job they go higher up to 8% with crisco and oil, real low h20 hydration at 52% baked on screen, there's an interesting and addictive balance of soft and chew and thin that I really like and a nice rim crust while maintaining a nice light crisp underneath.  They open their doughs with oil too in the opening which produces a real even undercrust.

That's cool. I really liked the crust softness from my first visit to Sacco, which led me down this route. I went as high as 7% but thought it was too much. I tried water as low as 54%, but preferred it up at 57-58. While I like some aspects of my screen bakes, it did funny things the texture of my undercrust. So I'm direct to stone, but am ok to finish on a screen. I think i would have a tough time going back to 2% oil.

Matt

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #508 on: August 16, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
A 50% dough mixed for a few doughs is very different from that of 75 doughs in a large industrial mixer.  This is something I learned recently. 

One of my favorite pizzerias uses a 50% dough, higher oil, absolutely no flour in opening and peel, and an oiled counter.  A higher hydration dough gets less hydrated with all that flour in the open but not the same as it's distributed to the exteriors and gets nappy undercrust.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:29:20 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #509 on: August 17, 2017, 07:04:59 AM »
Sure, fair enough. As home bakers we need to adjust the dough formula and workflow to work around deficiencies like small mixers/batches to achieve the result we want.

Matt

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #510 on: August 17, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
Sure, fair enough. As home bakers we need to adjust the dough formula and workflow to work around deficiencies like small mixers/batches to achieve the result we want.

Understood, and I"m not writing this stuff to diss anyone, these are secrets to what makes the top 1-2% slice joints above the pack for 50 years.  There were great pizzerias that closed not cos their pizza was bad, but costs, rent, junior thought making pizza was lame in the 90's.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #511 on: August 17, 2017, 08:54:06 PM »
What would be the reason to use shortening and oil?

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #512 on: August 17, 2017, 08:55:42 PM »
Oil and low hydration mixed bulk.  Absolutely no flour in the opening.  Oiled counter.  That bottle of oil in the foreground is there for a reason.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:14:43 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #513 on: August 17, 2017, 09:07:17 PM »
What would be the reason to use shortening and oil?

To get the pizza box greasy.  These days, you see the pies in the cardboard pizza boxes, and not a drop of oil= IRRATIONAL FEAR and that guy in NYC who sells boujie "non greasy fried chicken"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:03:36 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #514 on: August 17, 2017, 09:13:05 PM »
A 58-61% dough using a ton of flour in the open, stretch and on the peel is the same as a 50-53% but the latter doesn't have the weird bark.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:03:04 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #515 on: August 19, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
Continued improvement, driven again by increasing mozz (and other ingredients). These 2 pies were really good.

Improvements:
Mozz increased to 9.5oz (from 9oz on a 14'' pie)
Increased parm to 1+3/4 tsp (from 1+1/2), still 3 tsp romano
Increased oregano on top of the sauce to 3/4 tsp (from 1/2)
The 50% of the sauce from whole tomatoes were fresh from the can, not frozen, which resulted in a wetter sauce

Step backwards:
Last week I did a 1-day CF for the first time in a long while. This week I went back to my usual 2-day CF. The result was thicker and a bit bready.

Big Challenge:
I focused on making a small rim and saucing right up to it. Pie #2 was stretched a bit too big, hanging off the sides of the peel. When I sauced to the edge, some ended up on the peel causing the dough to stick. Several tosses of flour and a lot of jiggling and it worked out fine. A pretty clean launch in the end.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:12:42 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #516 on: August 19, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
Matt,

that looks fabulous! I suspect we're coming in around the same weight on the cheese though I'm just eyeballing mine. have you read craig's thread on cf vs rt? if so, why do you cf? also, what's the tf for that pie?

in any case, that's just beautiful work!

best,
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:17:50 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #517 on: August 19, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »
That really makes me want a slice of pizza.
Tim

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #518 on: August 19, 2017, 09:26:50 PM »
Thanks QD! I read that CF/RT thread a while back, probably should again. TF = 0.085. I don't have great reasons for doing C.F. The honest answer is 1) when I first joined this forum I learned C.F. and never experimented with anything else and 2) it fits my schedule. Given the amount of my Saturday already dedicated to making pizza, I really like making the dough on Thursday night. Friday night wouldn't be great, but I may have to give it a try.

Harry once suggested I try overnight C.F. His thought was the relatively short C.F. would offset the fact I'm not using a commercial mixer, but wouldn't be so long it would turn into bread. Last week my schedule forced me to try it, and it was really good.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:35:20 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline werty20

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #519 on: August 19, 2017, 09:57:51 PM »
but wouldn't be so long it would turn into bread.
can u explain this plz