A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Quonset (Waukegan, IL)  (Read 710 times)

Offline PizzaGarage

Re: Quonset (Waukegan, IL)
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 02:35:07 PM »
For sure a place to check out.  We will be back.

Formulation wise a starting point

KABF
Hydration 54%
Oil 6% (soy)
Salt typical at 1.75%
IDY I would start at the .375 and do a 24 hr CF, mixer to ball to fridge.

The dough I don't think was any more advanced, just a good solid dough and cooked well in good ovens.  The crust is thin and soft and I actually folded it, no cracks, nice and pliable.

As I looked at the pics again, it does look like there is slight micro-blistering and if that's the case the only way I've been able to get that is with a 12-24 hour RT ferment (bulk) with the same IDY percentages stated above and 4-5 minute mix (so an under mix).  So, as a try, rather than CF, do a 24 RT in bulk and grab a hunk to roll and make the pie.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:42:14 PM by PizzaGarage »

Online renchero

• Still learning, still eating, still learning
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
Awesome Pizza Garage.  I will try this once coming back from Illinois.  Curious - why the use of soybean oil rather than a canola or olive... I still am learning to understand the differences of what goes into dough so this is new to me. 

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 10:21:58 AM »
PizzaGarage,

Excellent pics!  I love the toppings and the party/tavern cut.  Looks amazing!  :drool:

I also like your starting point.  I am thinking you may want to increase the IDY % a little.  Also, do you think they use any additional "yeast food" (e.g., sugar, honey, etc.) to aid in the dough development, or did you detect no extra sweetness in the crust? I only ask because that is often something extra added by various pizzerias.  On second thought, might be a good idea to go with what you have now and then you could always add something extra later based on taste.

Keep us posted on your results (and other trips you make to Quonset Pizza)!

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 02:19:13 AM »
Great review PG!  In looking at your pictures, I wonder if there might be some milk in the dough, similar to Vito and Nick's?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:35:29 AM by RockyMountainPie »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 01:38:48 PM »
Awesome Pizza Garage.  I will try this once coming back from Illinois.  Curious - why the use of soybean oil rather than a canola or olive... I still am learning to understand the differences of what goes into dough so this is new to me.

Just speculation, veggie oil is the most common I've seen and the lest costly, olive is used less often due to cost.  None have flavor really, just the olive, so flavor wise no real difference Canola VS Veggie

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
PizzaGarage,

Excellent pics!  I love the toppings and the party/tavern cut.  Looks amazing!  :drool:

I also like your starting point.  I am thinking you may want to increase the IDY % a little.  Also, do you think they use any additional "yeast food" (e.g., sugar, honey, etc.) to aid in the dough development, or did you detect no extra sweetness in the crust? I only ask because that is often something extra added by various pizzerias.  On second thought, might be a good idea to go with what you have now and then you could always add something extra later based on taste.

Keep us posted on your results (and other trips you make to Quonset Pizza)!

-ME

I did not detect any sweetness in the crust.  I did notice I left sugar out of the formula, could add 1-2%

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 01:44:45 PM »
Great review PG!  In looking at your pictures, I wonder if there might be some milk in the dough, similar to Vito and Nick's?

Impossible to tell really and your are right that the old school places commonly used milk.  Crust is not like V&N, its better in my opinion, a little stronger (slightly more chewy) and did not become translucent like the crust does (at least the ones I had) at V&N.  Totally different taste between the two.

Offline Qapla

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 07:08:19 PM »
Is it possible they may use some powdered milk?

Great pics

Online renchero

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 10:13:45 AM »
Hey all,  I made a trip up to Illinois to visit family and my brother in law was heading to Gurnee so I tagged along for the ride and made a pit stop at Quonset.  I did for sure taste sweetness but not in the crust.  Here are some more pics.  Sausage (I attached a close up of one sausage piece) looks to be all one meat, pork I'm thinking.  Sauce is on the darker side so PizzaGarage you might be right in that it might be cooked a little because I didn't detect any paste. 

Very good pizza.  We tested 2 other locations though when we were up there and Quonset came in 2nd.  I may start another post for the 1st place winner.  :)

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 07:25:12 PM »
Let me guess - hope you tried Kaiser's.....?

Online renchero

Quonset (Waukegan, IL)
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 10:22:18 PM »
Haha. I used to play them in my softball league back in the day. No, it was more west than Kaiser's. Tammy's in Spring Grove IL. My oh my. That was the winner.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:31:13 PM by renchero »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 09:55:44 AM »
Excellent pics and nice critique.  Thanks for sharing.  If I were in that area I would definitely get a pizza from Quonset.  Just the overall look has my taste-buds watering.  :drool:

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

wordpress