A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY pizza recommendations?  (Read 640 times)

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NY pizza recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »
I like louie and Ernies, we've had a couple of good pies at marios, mercato has decent sicilian slices if you're on arthur ave. I also like zero otto nove but I don't think that's your jam.

it always feels to me you're selling brooklyn short.  Have you tried sam's on court st?  we used to stop at J&V in bensonhurst after softball, it was a long time ago, but I remember it as good pizza. There were some places in the slope...luigis, lenny's...and another...I'm attending a college reunion this weekend, some of my friends were on the team (we played in the brooklyn city league), I'll see if they remember.

I agree NP style places like Zero otto Nove are good, but the OP requested NY style.   Cool, let me know if you discover some places in Brooklyn.  No biases, I just haven't really encountered many places there outside of the more well known tourist spots.  You can literally walk for 20 minutes in East Williamsburg after trying Best, and not see one decent slice joint, wheras in Queens I've only listed 4 places, but there are at least 20 slice joints that are very good (my opinion of course).   I recently tried L'industrie Pizzeria in Williamsburg, it's been thoroughly hyped past year, but it's a hybrid "NY style" pizza, it's good, but they blur what a NY slice is and made with 100% 00 flour and have garlic duck fat confit as a pizza topping, boast only imported ingredients, their slices are small, but meticulously topped as a French chef making pizza and upsell.  Agree about Luigi's tho, forgot that one.  an excellent slice.  I heard good things about  Antonio's in Prospect Heights Tony's in Bushwick and Pizza Wagon, will try those soon.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:01:23 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
the places I noted in brooklyn are slice joints that have been around for a long, long time (they must be, cause I ate there :)  with the exception of sam's, which has been there forever (before I moved to the area) but doesn't sell by the slice (as the sign in their window states). I didn't think sam's was anything too special back in the day as there were lots of better spots but now, as you point out, there's not much left. I poked my head into My little pizzeria on Court, they were a good slice joint that opened about 25 years ago, didn't recognize anyone that worked there :(

there was a place in bay ridge that was really good, I'll see if I can get the name this weekend.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:59:04 AM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline bernd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
wow!

thanks everyone for your feedback! I thought this would be simpler topic  :-D
We will be around manhattan most of the time. If I can convince my folks we will do a little trip to the bronx.

good night!
Timo

Offline JaneVirginia

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »
Not a frequent NY guest, but in my last visit enjoyed pizza at Lucali. Many options to choose from) The only thing is that we had to get early enough to be seated among the first, as there were plenty of people. A friend of mine said it had always been the case.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 10:08:18 PM »
wow!

thanks everyone for your feedback! I thought this would be simpler topic  :-D
We will be around manhattan most of the time. If I can convince my folks we will do a little trip to the bronx.

good night!
Timo

Timo,

I would not suggest a trip to the bronx as it's quite a bit easier to get to brooklyn on the subway and then explore on foot. I think there's general agreement on harry's list in manhattan

- John's pizzeria, Denino's, Rubirosa,  NY Suprema

make sure you go to john's pizza in the west village (278 Bleecker St) as opposed to the one in time square. Personally, I think you should add a pepperoni sicilian slice at prince st pizza to the list.  there are lots of other good pizza places in manhattan, but they serve roman, neopolitan or  ny/neopolitan hybrid. Let us know if you want some names.

also, let me know if you'd like a walking tour of brownstone  brooklyn heights, cobble hill and carrol gardens that includes pizza, middle eastern and italian. pastry. I put it together for some of our friends, I just have to dig it out of my email.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 10:30:25 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline bernd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 04:10:56 PM »
quietdesperation,

ok, then I will stick to harry's list.
That should be way more than enough.

Thank you!

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »
quietdesperation,

ok, then I will stick to harry's list.
That should be way more than enough.

Thank you!

Basically, just avoid the hybrid upscale "bougie" pizzerias you find in almost every city, (pronounced boo-shee), if you want real NY pizza in NYC.  If the owner is a food celebrity, it's most likely overrated BOUGIE pizza.  And don't trust the Village voice or NY food media.  There are alot of bougie pie restaurants in the city upselling the likes of organic cream, imported gouda, truffle, jamon serrano, and exotic chilies overpreaching the authenticity of this great food of the common man.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:14:21 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline GumbaWill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 03:34:49 AM »
My two cents, Johns of Bleaker street is not your "real" typical by the slice NYC Pizza. In fact you can't even buy a slice of pizza there!  However just a few steps away, at Bleecker and Carmine street, you will find Joes pizza. Joe's is the hands down best, foldable, by the slice NYC pizza. If your up for a ride to the last stop on the "L" train," you will find yourself in my old Neighborhood, Canarsie, Brooklyn. Right next door to the station is Armando's Pizza, established in the 1950's. They make one of the best, sauce first, covered with cheese, thick crust Sicilian slices. Much different than spumoni gardens, not better or worse just different.

Will F.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:44:29 AM by GumbaWill »