A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anyone offer tips on BBQ type food smoking to a pizza?  (Read 487 times)

Offline Satyen

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Anyone offer tips on BBQ type food smoking to a pizza?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
Yeah... thats eactly what i was talking about earlier! Raw leaves like aragula, baby spinach, kale catch the smoke flavor pretty quick so using a dome can be pretty effective and since we also eat with our eyes and nose, it creates a cool experience. Iv dabbled a bit with molecular gastronomy techniques and its really easy to get carried away. But this idea seems to work perfectly

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »
There's a place in Robbinsdale, MN called Pig Ate My Pizza that does a pie served with a dome of smoke. I think it's called the Tommy Chong.

https://instagram.com/p/BLCfrzvguzj/

It's not too far from me but haven't eaten there yet, I've heard good things about it though!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline GlenPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 08:03:33 AM »
It's not too far from me but haven't eaten there yet, I've heard good things about it though!

THANKS!!!  I have to check this out, I am currently a partner in a business in Iowa and my little kids are in the Twin Cities, I will go there and check it out next week.  just for kicks, if you are ever around Mound, MN near Hwy 7 in the Tonkas right where you turn to go north into Shorewood/Mound/Orono area there is a place called Joey Nova's Pizza, try it it is pretty good and I am from NYC.  Turn right from going west on 7 at Excelsior school and it is right up the road in a shopping center on the corner.  Worth a trip if you are around 494/694, IMO.   A guy named Greg owns it, great guy, aims to please! 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:20:56 AM by GlenPizza »

Offline GlenPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 08:08:07 AM »
To me, great pizza is about two things 1) great crust, and 2) simultaneously achieving perfect balance and contrast. Just my $0.02, having smoke in both the crust and toppings would compromise both, other than perhaps the idea I described above which is as much for the show value as anything else.

I want the contrast in what I am trying to do, my wife is SE Asian and there is plenty of contrast in their foods if done right.  I am not looking for the whole pie to be smoked.  I thought a light smoke on the crust somewhat, but like the idea of the fresh leaves to capture, as stated from someone else.  Have to experiment a bit, learned some direction.  But remember, I am working with SE Ark, Cajun, Creole, Soul and the South all combined in what I am doing.

Hot/Spicy, cook in layers, plenty of contrast, etc.