A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 208335 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #580 on: November 12, 2016, 05:15:45 PM »
With my next attempt, I feel like I was transported back in time with this pizza. The flavors were amazing and just like I remembered!

16íí, TF of 0.105. Sclafani crushed sauce with a good amount of oregano, dried basil, garlic, pepper, salt.

A generous amount of parm directly on top of the sauce.

2/3 Whole milk mozz, 1/3 Cheddar, 12oz total.

450 degree oven for 15 minutes on the second rack.

The melt, cheese blend and sauce were almost perfect.

The only part lacking was the crust (though it tasted fine this time). I think it was still a little thick. The bottom wasnít cooked enough, it was very soft and pale in spots. And it just seemed a little doughy. I havenít been using a stone as I was hoping I could avoid the long pre-heat (and my stone is being utilized by my Blackstone). I may need to get a second stone. I guess I could also cover the pie with foil at 15 minutes and let it bake for another 5, but I donít really like that idea either.

I'm very surprised by how much I enjoyed this pizza.  :)

Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #581 on: November 12, 2016, 11:03:11 PM »
All the good places around here use deck ovens for greek or bar style.   I think you need the stone under it to get it perfect.   

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #582 on: November 12, 2016, 11:20:55 PM »
With my next attempt, I feel like I was transported back in time with this pizza. The flavors were amazing and just like I remembered!

16íí, TF of 0.105. Sclafani crushed sauce with a good amount of oregano, dried basil, garlic, pepper, salt.

A generous amount of parm directly on top of the sauce.

2/3 Whole milk mozz, 1/3 Cheddar, 12oz total.

450 degree oven for 15 minutes on the second rack.

The melt, cheese blend and sauce were almost perfect.

The only part lacking was the crust (though it tasted fine this time). I think it was still a little thick. The bottom wasnít cooked enough, it was very soft and pale in spots. And it just seemed a little doughy. I havenít been using a stone as I was hoping I could avoid the long pre-heat (and my stone is being utilized by my Blackstone). I may need to get a second stone. I guess I could also cover the pie with foil at 15 minutes and let it bake for another 5, but I donít really like that idea either.

I'm very surprised by how much I enjoyed this pizza.  :)

Looks really nice, I can see why you enjoyed it!
Is your pan seasoned? I had the same issue with my pan pizza until I seasoned the pan, instantly improved browning of the undercrust.
Is there sugar in the dough? I think I'm going to try 12 oz of cheese on my next NY, I've been using a generous amount of parm and it's nice.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #583 on: November 13, 2016, 03:43:04 PM »
Looks really nice, I can see why you enjoyed it!
Is your pan seasoned? I had the same issue with my pan pizza until I seasoned the pan, instantly improved browning of the undercrust.
Is there sugar in the dough? I think I'm going to try 12 oz of cheese on my next NY, I've been using a generous amount of parm and it's nice.

I'm using a Lloyds pan with non-stick (PSTK) coating and 1.375% sugar.

It's worth trying a high-cheese pie. It changes everything, but is good in its own way.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #584 on: November 13, 2016, 03:50:09 PM »
All the good places around here use deck ovens for greek or bar style.   I think you need the stone under it to get it perfect.   

Thanks Scott. That's what I initially figured. A while ago I searched through the forum and was surprised as it seemed people were evenly 50/50 split on whether they use a stone or not.

I'm just thinking, maybe I'll take the temp of the pan next time when I pull it from the oven and compare it with and without a stone.
Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #585 on: November 13, 2016, 09:47:34 PM »
I honestly can't even think of one place with a conveyor oven.   Im sure they are out there tho.   

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #586 on: July 23, 2017, 12:16:26 PM »
It's been a while, but I took another stab at a New England Greek. This was probably my best to date, as I really liked the crust, which was a higher oil dough, and the bottom came out nice too. Overall, I think it could have used more cheese, and maybe more sauce. I remember when I used to eat these pizzas (close to 30 years ago), sometimes there'd be so much sauce that it'd squeeze out the slide of the slice and drop to the plate. Dry basil may be nice in these as well.

I used my (currently) regular NY dough, which is a higher-oil dough, though I accidently went a little higher on sugar, but I think that was good too.
100% KAHG, 57% Water, 1.66% Salt, 5% Oil (light olive), 1.65% Sugar, 0.21% IDY.
TF was 0.105. My pan stretch/push was a little uneven, but I'm thinking the TF may have been a little high.

I used my usual NY sauce, except it was 100% unblended 7/11 (no whole tomatoes). I added my usual oregano, garlic, pepper, sugar and oil. I topped the sauce with a bit more oregano, some tiny pieces of fresh basil (which were unnoticeable in the final product) and a good amount of parm.

The shredded cheese was 12oz total with 8oz mozz (grande whole milk) and 4oz cheddar (cabot sharp light). Next time maybe I'll try 14oz total with 10oz mozz.

16'' pan baked on the 3rd rack at 450 for a little more than 15 minutes. I had a very small amount of oil in the pan (spread with a paper towel), and the bottom came out nice. No stone in the oven.

For whatever reason I tend to think more about these pies in the fall, so I may make a few more then. Thanks for looking!

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #587 on: July 28, 2017, 09:51:08 PM »
This post is for the heck of it, and to see if anyone else here on the forum cheesed their pies to the edges, in a round pan, before Steve (Ev) in May 2010.  Adam Kuban said it was his idea to first cheese to the edges.  Am waiting for Adam to reply about when he first did it.  Maybe on another thread someone did it first. ::)  Sure don't recall who might have been the first to cheese their pies to the edges.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #588 on: July 28, 2017, 09:55:58 PM »
Might as well post those photos from Tuesday of that Greek pizza, that were posted on another thread.   :-D

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #589 on: July 28, 2017, 10:07:49 PM »
...One thing I have done when I am making a pan pie is to lightly salt the oil before I put the crust down.  Also, for this type of pizza my favorite places take the sauce and cheese right to to edge of the pie.  You will get enough crust flavor from the thicker dough, and taking the topping to the edge creates an amazing fried cheese/sauce thing when they touch the hot oiled metal pan. 

Norma, here's Scott r talking about sauce and cheese to the edge in 2005. Reply 6 in this thread.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #590 on: July 28, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »
Norma, here's Scott r talking about sauce and cheese to the edge in 2005. Reply 6 in this thread.

Thanks so much Matt for finding Scott's post.  I will link it here.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=691.msg11186#msg11186

I didn't read though this whole thread for a long time and forgot a lot what is here.  I only recalled Steve's Greek style pizza because it made a lasting impression.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #591 on: July 30, 2017, 05:04:49 AM »
Adam's replies.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #592 on: July 30, 2017, 04:05:27 PM »
Colony grill doesn't cheese to the edge in a round pan? There are pictures on the internet that date back well before 2010 that look like they do. These for example are from August 2008. http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20737
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #593 on: July 30, 2017, 05:04:07 PM »
Colony grill doesn't cheese to the edge in a round pan? There are pictures on the internet that date back well before 2010 that look like they do. These for example are from August 2008. http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20737

Craig,

Thanks for finding those photos from Colony grill!  Yes they sure did cheese to the edge in a round pan.   :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #594 on: August 08, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »
Still working on a Greek style pizza.  Think the dough ball weight is about right now.  Have to try to figure out how much dough to use for a 12" pan.  Have some other photos of the white greek style pizza with pepperoni.  Will try to post them from the cell. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #595 on: August 08, 2017, 09:12:46 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #596 on: August 10, 2017, 08:12:07 PM »
Is this right?  If 0.8 lb. was used for the 10" Greek style in the last post, is 1.20 lbs. right for a 12" pan?

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #597 on: August 10, 2017, 08:44:10 PM »
Is this right?  If 0.8 lb. was used for the 10" Greek style in the last post, is 1.20 lbs. right for a 12" pan?

Norma

Close enough. TF=0.16 vs 0.17 if my math is right.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #598 on: August 10, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »
Close enough. TF=0.16 vs 0.17 if my math is right.

Craig,

Thanks a lot.  I will try 0.17 as the TF for the next attempt.

Norma

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #599 on: August 13, 2017, 04:07:43 PM »
norma, not sure but 14 ounces should give you a nice crust thickness. last time i made a Greek at home i went 15.5 ounces for a 12 inch and felt it was a little to thick.

wordpress