A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pasta Carbonara- A new rabbit hole  (Read 3951 times)

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pasta YouTube Video - A new rabbit hole for me
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2022, 07:03:04 AM »
Jon,  I looked into the Bigolaro - not much in the way of die selection, IMO. 
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline Cogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2022, 07:16:58 AM »

3. Electric sheeter. I primarily use it for croissants, danish dough, puff pastry, etc. but it does a great job on pasta. And also Sonoran flour tortillas.

4. Electric ramen noodle kneader/sheeter/cutter. Don't get me started on the joys of homemade ramen noodles. That is a very deep rabbit hole.

Links or model numbers on these? My great grandmother would beat me with a wooden spoon if she were alive but times are a changing.

Online deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2022, 07:32:14 AM »
Okay Bill, you officially suck for starting this thread!😬

haha, yes, this.....  I don't know what I'm buying yet but now I want to make some pasta, it's been a long time.  I do have the kitchen aid attachment and I kept the kitchen aid just for that purpose so I don't really need anything but...

My dad recently bought Emerill's pasta machine (extruder) and has been having some problems with it.   I have some ideas without even seeing what is the issue.  I joined a facebook group to see if I could figure it out.  I need to read the manual to see if it can be turned off to allow the dough to rest and whether it is only a preset program for kneading which I assume it is.    Barry - thanks for the link to the Phillips and that facebook group,  it gives me another angle to research from to help my dad.  Maybe I'll buy him a better machine and bronze dies for his 85th birthday which is in June. 
Deb

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2022, 09:19:47 AM »
Okay Bill, you officially suck for starting this thread!😬

Glad to know it's finally official. I have been practicing really hard for such a long time.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2022, 10:00:30 AM »
Links or model numbers on these? My great grandmother would beat me with a wooden spoon if she were alive but times are a changing.

Here is a link to the ramen machine. It's a little beast for quickly kneading/cutting really stiff 30-35% hydration dough into perfect noodles for that signature toothsome bite. Not intuitively obvious how to correctly use it, but once you figure it out, the whole process takes just a few minutes. The whole topic of ramen - noodles, broth, toppings, etc. is pretty deep. See the movie Tampopo - highly recommended send-up of this Japanese obsession.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0899GCKVZ/?tag=pmak-20

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2022, 11:34:00 AM »
Do you use the bottle lye water for your ramen Bill? I bought a couple bottles at an Asian shop awhile ago.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2022, 11:39:09 AM »
Do you use the bottle lye water for your ramen Bill? I bought a couple bottles at an Asian shop awhile ago.

No. Powdered kansui (60% potassium carbonate, 40% sodium carbonate). See:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qLPoLxek3WLQJDtU6i3300_0nNioqeYXi7vESrtNvjQ/edit#heading=h.g131q7n1md16

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2022, 07:46:18 PM »
No. Powdered kansui (60% potassium carbonate, 40% sodium carbonate). See:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qLPoLxek3WLQJDtU6i3300_0nNioqeYXi7vESrtNvjQ/edit#heading=h.g131q7n1md16

This is the stuff I have. Do you have a comparison of which works better?
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2022, 07:54:11 PM »
This is the stuff I have. Do you have a comparison of which works better?

I also have a bottle of that. I've never done a side-by-side. Heck if I know how ramen would be affected by potassium carbonate vs. potassium bicarbonate. Those guys from The Book of Ramen are hardcore ramen geeks - perhaps as pedantic as pizza geeks.  :o

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2022, 08:26:26 PM »
I'm jonsen for a bowl of pho now!!!!
Jon

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2022, 05:58:47 PM »
I like Alex' videos, and he's just gotten better.  Very nice photography!

Personally I think that both fresh and dried pasta have their places.

A funny anecdote, my friend had an Italian restaurant here in Luxembourg and he started making his own fresh pasta for certain dishes.  Of course people started complaining that it wasn't al dente... :D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2022, 07:10:04 PM »
I like Alex' videos, and he's just gotten better.  Very nice photography!

Personally I think that both fresh and dried pasta have their places.

A funny anecdote, my friend had an Italian restaurant here in Luxembourg and he started making his own fresh pasta for certain dishes.  Of course people started complaining that it wasn't al dente... :D

I think fresh egg pasta excels in ravioli and lasagna. I especially like to build a lasagna with fresh pasta sheets that have just been rolled. They cook inside the oven, absorbing the juices from the sauces and other fillings, but retain a luscious, silky texture.

The rat hole I have fallen down is to extrude fresh pasta and then dry it. The first test using the little hand-cranked machine as shown above had some issues and wasn't very good. Not bad, but definitely not worth the effort.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2022, 07:37:06 PM »
I've never tried to extrude pasta, but have some friends that do.  It must be a deep rabbit hole! :D

I also like fresh made egg pasta for making ravioli, tortellini, and lasagna.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2022, 09:35:57 PM »
For me, fresh pasta has to be on the thicker side, rolled too thin and it loses it's bite and gets mushy. My mix has been a 60/40 blend of HG flour to semolina, eggs, salt, olive oil mixed to a dense play dough consistency and by friction of my food processor to 112°. Then wrapped, rested overnight in fridge. Have not tried extrusion but it has got me thinking!!!
Jon

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2022, 09:53:47 PM »
Have not tried extrusion but it has got me thinking!!!

And so it begins.. :D
Jack

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2022, 10:40:37 PM »
For me, fresh pasta has to be on the thicker side, rolled too thin and it loses it's bite and gets mushy. My mix has been a 60/40 blend of HG flour to semolina, eggs, salt, olive oil mixed to a dense play dough consistency and by friction of my food processor to 112°. Then wrapped, rested overnight in fridge. Have not tried extrusion but it has got me thinking!!!
y

How do you roll out the sheets?

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2022, 11:46:42 PM »
Forgot I took these pics awhile back! These were ramen-ish, my regular noodles I roll to around a 4/5 and are quite thick!!

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=60415.msg667660#msg667660
Jon

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2022, 10:50:16 AM »
One thing I've learned over the past few days in a furious flurry of fresh/dry pasta making is that boiling pasta at 7000' altitude (boiling point 198F) presents real challenges. The longer boiling time needed to get the pasta "al dente" results in a different, stodgy texture which is not desirable. So I've been experimenting with the pressure cooker, dialing in the perfect time through trial and error. Not easy when you can't monitor the progress without releasing the pressure, but it makes a tremendous difference. I've fallen deeper into this rabbit hole and I can't get out!

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2022, 11:07:31 AM »
Lol, I wish you a good trip!

Edit: AFAIK, you only really need the boil to offset the initial temperature when putting the pasta in. I've seen many pro chefs (on youtube) cooking pasta in only simmering water.

Edit 2: Hmm, that might have been only fresh egg pasta...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 11:11:43 AM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2022, 11:27:53 AM »
pasta................ pressure cooker.

OK, young man, you really need to take a "time out" and regain your composure! :-D  :chef:

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre