A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Steel plate  (Read 99395 times)

Offline toddster63

Re: Steel plate
« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2016, 05:34:47 PM »
My seasoned steel plate (purchased commercially from Sur La Table) has revolutionized my home pizza making. The Little Black Egg is retired. Family and friends say my crusts--made with King Arthur Bread flour at 60% water--are the best ever; crispy, crispy, with a nice soft interior and decent spring. Dough is made with very little commercial yeast (and no oil or sugar as this makes the crust brown/burn too quickly on the steel), and then cold fermented for up to a week at 38F in the fridge. The pizzas are baked for 5-8 minutes at 550F, after the plate heats up for 1 hour; the pies come out very Apizza Scholls, or Patsy's Connecticut. I also love that the steel only needs 5 minutes reheat time between pies--it holds heat marvelously and makes consistent pie after pie (consistency was very hit and miss with any method involving stones in my past, with the exception of wood fire ovens). No stone I have used has even come close to this level of consistency--I think the seasoned steel surface is a big taste plus as well.

If you like crispy east coast style pies, and are willing to work on your dough expertise, I cannot recommend the steel plates highly enough for superlative pies at home (but just remember making and working with the dough has a learning curve!)

Offline k2yeb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #261 on: March 10, 2016, 12:43:07 PM »
For anyone that bought a steel plate from Baking Steel did you also buy a case? I know steel is sturdy but these are heavy and I don't want to heavily scratch mine. Got the modernist cuisine one.

FYI they raised prices $20 so lucky I bought mine last week. Yes I know you can get one locally but I live in the country so not as easy. Thanks for your time.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #262 on: March 10, 2016, 07:33:46 PM »
They have a case for it?  LOL.  Do they also have goat hide leather straps as well?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline k2yeb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2016, 08:37:56 AM »
Hardy har. I 100% agree the product is overpriced. It should be $25-30 cheaper at a minimum. I am just over an hour from any decent size city and thus its the easiest option for me.  Gas would cost me any savings I would get. Not to mention time. 

From my experience these things are pretty heavy. Carrying it around and storing it isn't as easy as a stone in my experience. Where do people store their steels? I don't want to just slide it in my pan shelf...so just trying to be smart. I'm knew so ignore any ignorant questions.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:45:41 AM by k2yeb »

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2016, 10:22:34 AM »
I leave mine (and my stone) in the oven - every once in a while I'll take out the steels and give them wipe with some oil and or scrap any carbon as necessary.
Norm

Offline k2yeb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2016, 10:24:54 AM »
Thanks, the weight of a steel is unfortunately near my rack max for weight. I have seem some modifications here posted and I might try that. I bought an electrolux icon oven with our kitchen remodel and never thought about rack weight (nor is it listed in manual). Stupid thing maxes out around 25 lbs so I probably can't do that.

Thanks for everyone's time.

Offline andyt

« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2016, 01:12:44 PM »
Can anyone offer an opinion on Dough-Joe 1/2" Pizza Steel from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBKWSGW/?tag=pmak-20

Thanks
andyt

Offline k2yeb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2016, 02:19:21 PM »
I have used both (dough joe, baking steel) and they both work exactly the same from my 6 months of experience.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2016, 04:31:01 PM »
I have an aluminum plate... it's about 1/4" thick and is perforated (a vendor sent it to me to try). I've never had much success with it. Top rack, bottom rack, it bakes no better than my stone. I've tried it on the top rack under the broiler with not-so-good results (IR thermometer had it at 700+ degrees F. as soon as I opened the door with the broler running, but it quickly dropped to 600 degrees F. after a few seconds). I don't think aluminum is the right metal for this application as it quickly loses its heat. I'd be anxious to try a 1/2" STEEL plate under the broiler.  :)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #269 on: March 11, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
Inch for inch, aluminium holds a lot less heat than steel. It has a higher heat capacity per kg, but is significantly less dense. 1/4 aluminium simply can't hold enough heat.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline caymus

« Reply #270 on: March 11, 2016, 07:59:13 PM »
I have been playing around with a 3/4" AL plate and I can't get results that are as good as my 1/2" carbon steel. Of course my Blackstone is superior to both.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #271 on: March 11, 2016, 10:51:34 PM »
Can anyone offer an opinion on Dough-Joe 1/2" Pizza Steel from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBKWSGW/?tag=pmak-20

Thanks
andyt
OVER PRICED.

I can get steel that is 1" longer in Width and Length, while costing less than half the price of what i being offered on amazon.

Boy if you don't look for a local steel fabricator in Ontario, I swear to god.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/steel+fabricators+near+Ontario,+Canada/@48.2194728,-93.7265,5z/data=!3m1!4b1

C'MON!!!!

Offline andyt

« Reply #272 on: March 14, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »
Minolta

Thanks for the heads up and the great map.  You are far more than right with OVER PRICED.  The Dough-Joe would cost me $US100 and I would have to ship it to friends in Hartford, Dough-Joe does not ship to Canada.  It would arrive here in a month or two, always somebody coming and going here and there.

Then the fact is $US100 is $C135, so end of Dough-Joe. 

I have found Scott 123's Steel Plate Buying Guide and mburlato's Steel Plate story, very helpful.

Many Thanks
andyt

Offline k2yeb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #273 on: March 15, 2016, 11:30:31 AM »
What type of Flax Seed oil (or if you use a different product love to know that too) do people use to season steel? Lignan or Fresh?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VLZ830/?tag=pmak-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VLZ81M/?tag=pmak-20

Seems people have used both.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #274 on: March 15, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »
I have read long very "scientific" explanations about using Flax Seed oil to achieve the best coating when seasoning a cast iron pan.

I don't really know if it is worth it. For my pizza steels, I just use any old oil (like soybean) that I have in the cabinet - I'm just trying to keep it from rusting.

I don't even put it on between each use, just when it looks like it may need a re-coat. I put a very small amount on a paper towel and rub it in a thin as I can get it - seems to work just fine for me.
Norm

Offline k2yeb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #275 on: March 15, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »
That makes sense. All I have is coconut, peanut, and vegetable oil and the guy I talked to mentioned not to use any of those and that flax seed would work best. Thanks for the idea on soybean.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2016, 12:01:58 PM »
I would use whichever has the highest smoke point - an less is more when you wipe it on - I rub it until it is about one oil molecule thin  :-D

If I was planning to cook eggs on it (and trying to build a super slick surface) then I would go a different route - but for pizza, all I need is no rust....
Norm

wordpress