A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Koda 16 hacks summarized  (Read 24485 times)

Online 9slicePie

Re: Koda 16 hacks summarized
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2022, 10:22:11 AM »
One other thing that occurred to me last night:  In between bakes, it wouldn't be too possible to brush/scrape the stone with the necessary force while the stone is sitting on the lazy susan.

Any recommendations?

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2022, 08:10:08 PM »
If you are worried about loose semolina or other dusting flour,  you could probably use a 3 or 4 foot section of pipe, and blow in it to blow off the loose flour.   You probably could use a brush without messing up how the stone sits on the turntable to do the same as long as you used a sweeping motion not scraping, but you probably would have a problem if you tried to scrape off burnt sections of the crust or burnt cheese.
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Online 9slicePie

« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2022, 10:28:56 AM »
so I used the lazy susan with a round stone for the 1st time.  donstavely, nice mod to this oven; hats off to you.

And I used a wire-bristled brush (with a scraper on the other side) on the stone, and the setup didnt move.  However, I didnt apply as much force as I do/would've applied on the stock stone.

Overall, donstavely's lazy susan "hack" is very practical.

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2022, 04:03:55 PM »
I am glad it is working out for you, 9slicePie!

Could you tell us a bit more about your process?  When, how often, and how far around did you turn the stone during pre-heat?  Same question during your bake?  How even was the bottom color, given that you got a reasonably even top crust? 

You said in an earlier post that you use a wooden peel to launch.  Did you use a metal peel to retrieve?

And thanks for the props!

Online 9slicePie

« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2022, 04:13:02 PM »
I am glad it is working out for you, 9slicePie!

Could you tell us a bit more about your process?  When, how often, and how far around did you turn the stone during pre-heat?  Same question during your bake?  How even was the bottom color, given that you got a reasonably even top crust? 

You said in an earlier post that you use a wooden peel to launch.  Did you use a metal peel to retrieve?

And thanks for the props!

I started to pre-heat the round stone, then half-way in to the preheat, I spun the stone 180 degrees.  (So only 1 spin to preheat the stone).

During the bake, I started slowly spinning after launching the pizza, adjusting the speed depending on how the cornicione looked.  I also lowered the flame a little bit (and actually, as I typed that last sentence, I realized that I must've lowered the flame because the pizza is closer to the "ceiling" of the oven, aka closer to the flames rolling above.  The stock stone sits LOWER than this set-up).  The undercrust of the first 2-3 pizzas were nice and even.  But I think I may have to use the "low-zone hack" thereafter to not get the stone TOO hot in between bakes, as the last few pies started to get SOME charring on the bottom (but this is not related to the lazy susan/round stone setup).

I used the turning peel to retrieve, but I think for bigger pizzas, I plan to use a bigger metal peel for retrieval.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 02:09:09 AM by 9slicePie »

Offline Ashjan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2022, 11:36:34 PM »
I got a lazy Susan bearing from Donstavely a few months ago and Iíll echo the other comments on here about the professional packaging and clear instructions. Was really impressed.

I also launch with a wooden peel and retrieve with the turning peel. I have a 15 in stone on the bearing and havenít had any issues with it moving during launch/retrieval.

I am going for a bigger New York style pizza so usually try to make a 14-15 in pie and shoot for a 5-6 min bake. Iím still dialing in my preheat method but Iíve lately been preheating at full blast for 10 mins then turning 180 degrees and preheating for 5 mins in ultra low mode. I also have a steel door that I got off Etsy which speeds things up and helps with the front to back gradient. This usually gets the stone to ~750 in the center. One thing Iíve found helpful is another 180degree turn right before launch so that the colder side of the stone (~650 before launching) is then closest to the flame.

I cook for 2 minutes with the flame completely off. I then turn on ultra low mode and rotate the stone 90degrees every 30 seconds or so. Then I even out the browning for the last minute or so by rotating the paler parts into the warm corner.

Pretty happy with the results so far but trying to figure out the best way to get a full 16in pie. Gets a little tricky launching on to the round stone with a wooden peel closer to the ceiling.

Here is a 63% hydration sourdough crust I did the other night using the above method:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 09:38:14 AM by Pete-zza »

wordpress