A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bakers Stone Grill Top Pizza Box  (Read 336 times)

Offline Rocco1

• I Love Pizza!
Bakers Stone Grill Top Pizza Box
« on: May 12, 2022, 01:58:27 PM »
How is everyone doing? Ran across this Bakers Stone Grill top Pizza Box which sounds intriguing since I could use my grill for pizza baking (and of course grilling) and not require a separate oven.  I saw this brand and a Cuisinart that's very similar.  The main difference between the two is the Bakers Stone has a 5 sided stone baking chamber and the Cuisinart has a baking stone on the bottom and a stainless steel surround.  Wondering if anyone has used either of these and what do you think? Are there other brands out there?

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
Re: Bakers Stone Grill Top Pizza Box
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 08:23:46 PM »
Have not used either, but am familiar with the concept.  Bert ,  who posts here regularly, did many posts on a similar concept,  MPO or Mighty Pizza Oven.  I don't think it is available anymore  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G8ECGQ8/?tag=pmak-20  I think he still offer a modified pizza stone.  I doubt having stones on the side or rear make much of a difference,  but the design of most of these are similar - get heat from the grill to heat both a bottom stone and a top stone ,   and having the pie close to the top stone helps give some browning.  IIRC,  Bert got his best results when he put aluminum foil over the rest of the grill grates, so the heat was forced into the box, and I thought on his, part of the bottom was open to let heat get in and around the bottom stone, don't know if that is how the Baker's box works. 
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline lukedeux

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 02:35:06 PM »
Rocco1,

I used a BakerStone original this past weekend and plan on buying one. If you like NY-style pizza, I haven't found an outdoor, consumer-level oven that comes close. The bake was excellent and if you get the base you can adjust the deck and wall temps.

I can't comment on the Cuisineart model, have never tried it.

Hope this was helpful and will give more info and pics when mine comes in  :)
Luke HL

Offline Rocco1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 09:12:26 PM »
I found another grill conversion pizza oven:

https://www.kettlepizza.com/

There is a charcoal grill version and a gas grill version.  It appears more thought was put in the charcoal type but thought these are interesting also.  Anyone have experience with these?

Offline Kevindorine

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 09:49:14 AM »
I have had a Bakerstone for probably 3 to 4 years. Naturally, a good grill with decent heat output Will give you high temperatures that you need for pizza. 

- For what it is, and the price point, it does a great job.
- Build quality is good, it is sturdy.
- The multi-sided ceramic pieces do a decent job in retaining heat and allowing the temperatures to get to around 700F.
- Of course, if you are not experienced in Pizza making, you will go through the learning curve. However, once I was at the far side of the learning curve, I have been able to produce pretty decent Neapolitan pizzas in about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes each.
- I use a wood peel for both launching and turning and removing pizzas from the oven, and it works just fine.

I would recommend purchasing When you purchase the Bakerstone:
- Even though the Bakerstone has a thermometer, do you want to get an infrared thermometer gun. There are a gazillion of them very inexpensive on Amazon.
- Get a peel for launching, if you are cheap like me and you can use the same peel for all other functions.
- Because the opening is very short, a long brush to get any spilt cheese or other stuff.
- Before I launch my first pizza, get the oven up to temperature and take a wet a dish towel and wrap it around the long brush to wipe down the inside of the oven.  I borrowed this trick from the owner of a very good pizza restaurant.

I have to say that it is quite an enjoyable experience to do this, and certainly not an expensive purchase as well as an expensive dinner when you prepare a pizza.  you can easily feed a group of 10 as your pizzas will come out every two minutes or so.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.
-

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress