A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Need help testing and optimizing Home Oven  (Read 297 times)

Offline roumin

• Recovering Nerd
Need help testing and optimizing Home Oven
« on: June 18, 2022, 11:06:46 AM »
I want to optimize my home oven settings, but testing every combination with so many variables is overwhelming.

Here is my setup:
Modern Kitchen Aid electric oven with convection. 30 degrees calibration.  Max temp 550F. 6 racks
1/2" Cordierite and 3/8" steel
Oven settings: Bake, Bake Convection, Roast Convection

Questions:
Stone or steel?
Which rack?
What temp: 500, 525, 550 or 580 (calibration)?
Bake, bake convection or roast convection?

~Nick

Offline foobar34

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Need help testing and optimizing Home Oven
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 12:16:58 PM »
One thing you are not saying, is what type of pizza you are trying to make. Different pizzas require different oven temperatures, and some are better suited to domestic ovens than others

I have an uncalibrated oven that runs hotter than supposed, around 580F max. And my goal is to have a pizza as close to Neapolitan as possible shortest cooking time (and, yes, I know, won't be a Neapolitan pizza at those temp/times)

I can get ok results and <3 minutes baking times by positioning my 3/8 steel on the top rack, preheating using convection baking until it cycles on and off 3 times. I.e. it reaches the set temperature of 550F (which is 580F), cycles off, then after a short time cycles on again, off, and on once more. As soon as it turns off the third time, I turn on the boiler at max setting for 90 seconds or so, then put my pizza on the steel, with the broiler on. It's very hard to accurately measure temperature in those conditions, but the top of my steel is close to 700F by the time I start baking (pretty sure the average steel temperature is lower, only the very top is that hot)

My theory is that it takes some time for the oven to reach thermal stability. when it cycles off the first time, the inside temperature is 580F, but drops quickly because the walls still are not fully heat soaked. By the third time, it's as stable as it will ever get. And waiting until it cycles off, I ensure that the temperature is as high as possible. And I use convection baking, as it heats the steel faster

I tried preheating with the broiler for longer than 90 seconds, but in those cases the broiler would turn off halfway thru the pizza baking, due to probably a safety cutoff

Resulting pizza is a pretty decent simil-Neapolitan, and overall a very good pizza

What this does to the health of the oven is unclear. While my oven has a self cleaning cycle, so can get really hot, the thermal stress is much higher than a normal baking cycle

Offline roumin

• Recovering Nerd
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 02:01:11 PM »
Aiming for artisan pizza style.  somewhere between NY and NP.  5-6 minute bake.  big oven spring. Charring would be nice. Jackie Tran style
~Nick

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 02:48:02 PM »
I'd do steel as hot as you can get it, finished with broil. You are going to have to do testing, that's the best part of the process for me.

Offline roumin

• Recovering Nerd
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 08:29:01 PM »
I'd do steel as hot as you can get it, finished with broil. You are going to have to do testing, that's the best part of the process for me.

lower, middle or upper rack?  convection or not?
~Nick

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 10:35:32 PM »
lower, middle or upper rack?  convection or not?
2nd from top because my broiler is insanely hot. Only used convection on longer bakes. Only have one convection mode.

Offline pizza-in

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 08:59:47 AM »
I read a review of stone or steel  for pizza baking in a home oven. Their result: steel sitting directly on  top of a stone worked best. When I need to bake in my home oven, I use this technique with very good results. One note, it can take a good long time to get completed up to temp.

If I can find the article I will add the link.

Offline pizza-in

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 09:02:18 AM »
Link to article: "The Ultimate Pizza Setup: Baking Stone Plus Baking Steel"

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/10432-the-ultimate-pizza-setup-baking-stone-plus-baking-steel

wordpress