A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party pizzone fire  (Read 272 times)

Offline scooter

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Party pizzone fire
« on: June 21, 2022, 11:54:11 PM »
Thinking about the fire in the pizzone wfo.i see people who push the fire to the back and others who push it to the side.considering the domed shape and the fire rolling over the top when built to the side vs the flat back surface of the oven.what have you experienced as a better fire. Side or back fire?

Online foobar34

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Party pizzone fire
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 11:43:30 AM »
I don't own this oven, but in general people prefer to have fire on the side, if the oven allows, to monitor the baking process. With fire on the side, you can see how quickly the crust is taking color, and rotate the pizza just at the right moment to avoid over-charring. With fire on the back, you can't see what's happening to the crust, and need to rotate just to see where it is.

I used to have a big WFO, now using a tiny Bertello. The biggest problem for me, is that with the fire in the back due to the Bertello size and construction, I cannot monitor the crust progress. Especially for Neapolitan pizza, with very short baking times, that is a problem

Heat distribution and convection in your oven can change the above consideration. Also how big of a pizza you can bake depending on the fire position (not an issue with a traditional dome oven, can make a difference with a barrel-shaped oven)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 12:55:58 PM »
Side 100% with the shield thing to keep it in place and not spill onto the deck.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline scooter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 03:38:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have my answer with some thoughtful reasoning behind it

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress