A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza party fire  (Read 510 times)

Offline scooter

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza party fire
« on: June 25, 2022, 11:03:05 PM »
My first fire has been going for an hour. The bed of coals looks ok and fire is blazing but I can barely get up to 400 F. Using dried oak wood. Is that normal to take so long to get up to temp.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 02:37:01 PM by scooter »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza party fire
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 02:51:25 AM »
I rarely even look at that dial. Go mostly by lazer gun, deck temp and sight on how the pie is baking. Even during daylight a good headlamp to see inside oven is a must! With just my gas burner on mine I can get 800°-900° in 45 minutes. Also use you cover as needed and flu adjustment....

Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline scooter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 01:46:19 PM »
So when someone's recipe or technique says around 700 degrees is what they shoot for would the given temps usually be  brick temp or oven cavity temp?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 01:47:31 PM »
Did you have the door on when pre-heating?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline scooter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 02:35:41 PM »
Yes the door was on and cracked open at the bottom. I did just see a pizza party video they posted today of a fire. The fire was much larger than mine was with a much larger bed of coal. Next time I will try using twice as much wood.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 03:22:10 PM »
I do the warm-up fire in the middle of the oven then slide it over to the left for baking.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 03:34:06 PM »
So when someone's recipe or technique says around 700 degrees is what they shoot for would the given temps usually be  brick temp or oven cavity temp?

Usually brick temp. You wont' get an accurate reading off the metal. It's just about getting the bottom to bake and you can balance the top from there by doming if you need more. But in general these ovens seem to be a pretty balanced shape that with a flame on the top, the bottom stays a good temp.

Offline Simone

• Vendor
  • Pizza Party for very pizza lovers
    • Pizzapartyshop.com
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 10:12:55 AM »
Pizza Party in the may 2022 restarted the selling to worldwide!!

CONTACT ME FOR THE DISCOUNT CODE FOR FORUM MEMBERS

Genotema Surl - Original italian pizza ovens Pizza Party producer

Offline scooter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 10:50:16 AM »
Well, I have no idea what they were saying in that video but I liked the background music and I got a general idea of the technique used.

Offline foobar34

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 05:06:01 PM »
Rough translation:

suggestions on how to reach and maintain 400C temperatures
in addition, for a good pizza, you need >60% hydration
the proper dough prevents "cookie-like results" or burning on the hot floor (the term "biscotti" is in quotes, it refers to dry and crumbly results instead of a proper Neapolitan pizza)
(generic VPN recipe)
use smaller wood pieces as fire starter, roughly 1Kg, plus bigger pieces to be able to cook ~10 pizzas at >400C
(they mention using pellets, probably sawdust logs, but that sentence doesn't make much sense, not to mention 2 compressed sawdust logs would not be near enough to heat the oven properly)
place one of the 2 big pieces in the center, with the smaller pieces around it
start the fire using paper or cardboard, when the fire starters are lit, close the door leaving a small opening to help combustion
(repeat) leave a small opening on the bottom to help combustion
add smaller pieces of wood to ensure the fire doesn't go out and to ensure the bigger log is on fire
during the preheat phase, limit the opening of the door to the bare minimum and only to add wood to the fire
within 15 minutes, the temperature starts to rise
quickly move the wood to a side. the temperature will drop 50C, now it's the time to add the second big piece and add smaller pieces
within 5-10 minutes the temperature will go back to 400C and stabilize at 400C. now it's the time to cook pizza. add one or 2 small pieces between pizzas
at 400C, pizza will cook in 60-90 seconds and have the traditional cornicione
puffy cornicione, soft and airy inside
cornicione is empty thanks to the dough and the 400C of Pizza party (they seem to have a cornicione fetish :) )
pizza should be soft and elastic, and fold like a booklet

Having managed a wood fired pizza oven for years, the only things I would add are:
  • use a Bernzomatic (blue canister) to light the oven. Saves so much time and aggravation
  • start the fire in the center of the oven. If you are cooking more than 10 pizzas, move it to one side, sweeping the floor. After 4-5 pizzas, move the fire to the other side, wait 5 minutes, cook pizzas, repeat. You will get much more uniform heat and better balance between the floor and the dome
  • keep a lot of smaller wood pieces/curly saw shavings on hand. When you pizza is cooked on the bottom but still pale on the top, throw them on the fire and "dome" your pizza. Smaller wood pieces and shavings are also great when you need more light inside the oven and to help balance heat
  • the difference between the door open and closed is really big. Do not, under any circumstance, completely seal the door when the oven is hot and there is wood still burning inside: wood itself doesn't really burn, as much as the heated wood releases gases which in turn burn. When you deprive a hot fire of oxygen, the flame dies down, the oven fills with combustible gases at the point of ignition but the lack of oxygen prevents a flame: as soon as you open the door, the added oxygen causes a rapid combustion, creating a ball of fire shooting out of the oven opening, sometimes ejecting hot embers. Not fun and most definitely not safe. I guess it would be safe to seal the door and let the fire die off completely, until cooler. But it will make a ton of smoke and take a long time

Offline scooter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 05:48:27 PM »
Wow! Thank you. I really appreciate the time and effort to interpret the video and  your own comments.
What type of tool have you found works well for moving the logs and embers around?

Offline Simone

• Vendor
  • Pizza Party for very pizza lovers
    • Pizzapartyshop.com
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 02:21:36 AM »
other interesting info to choose le wood
Pizza Party in the may 2022 restarted the selling to worldwide!!

CONTACT ME FOR THE DISCOUNT CODE FOR FORUM MEMBERS

Genotema Surl - Original italian pizza ovens Pizza Party producer

Offline foobar34

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 04:46:35 PM »
Wow! Thank you. I really appreciate the time and effort to interpret the video and  your own comments.
What type of tool have you found works well for moving the logs and embers around?
I used to have something looking a bit like https://www.worldcasa.it/contents/it/p2084_Tirabrace_per_forno_pizza.html. Mine was all stainless steel and slightly more curved. It was great to push and pull logs, and move embers/coals around when needed. Would also work well when the fire was going too strong, to move logs away from the flam and slow things down (very long reach helped avoid getting singed by the hot flames)

I gave all my pizza tools to the new owner when I sold the house

wordpress