A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Inverted's Pie Barn  (Read 63530 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #1100 on: January 18, 2018, 09:12:31 PM »
This pie still haunts my dreams. After all these pizzas, and I've basically ignored it. It's about time I go back to work on cloning it.

Awesome news!

Little 12" stone baked pie with a paste based sauce and fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, dried oregano, olive oil, Romano, and reggiano.

Looks good  :chef:
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1101 on: January 18, 2018, 09:27:37 PM »
Just searched this thread for "killer" to go back to the details. TF of 0.07 and 17", super thin, but with a thick sauce. I'm guessing it was light on the cheese.

You said it was a longer bake for you at the time, 7-8 mins, but I'm intrigued by the lack of rim color. I really think it's more about the ratios, and not the oven. If I've learned anything the past year, it's that great pizza can be made at low temps.

Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1102 on: January 18, 2018, 09:29:51 PM »
Awesome news!

Looks good  :chef:

Thanks! This was just a temperature test, looks like about a 6 minute bake with this oven maxed out. Got a few things in mind to try next bake.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1103 on: January 18, 2018, 09:42:38 PM »
Just searched this thread for "killer" to go back to the details. TF of 0.07 and 17", super thin, but with a thick sauce. I'm guessing it was light on the cheese.

You said it was a longer bake for you at the time, 7-8 mins, but I'm intrigued by the lack of rim color. I really think it's more about the ratios, and not the oven. If I've learned anything the past year, it's that great pizza can be made at low temps.

The tricky part in my oven on screen at lower temps is it doesn't cook the bottom of the pizza properly, it would be like cooking a tortilla in the oven versus on a comal. I think it would work a lot better if I had convection or a stone underneath.

I think you're right about cheese amount, I need to try it with a high quality mozzarella that melts in instead of sticking out, like some preshredded mozz.

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #1104 on: January 18, 2018, 10:20:30 PM »
Nice small cheese pie Ryan  :drool:  Looks like a perfect bake to me.  I still havent tried fresh mozz yet, they never did get the boars head at the local market and I've been too hesitant to grab the belgioioso brand.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1105 on: January 19, 2018, 12:38:07 AM »
This pie still haunts my dreams. After all these pizzas, and I've basically ignored it. It's about time I go back to work on cloning it.

I just don't know how to get this bake. That was in my old oven which could do things to pizzas this one just isn't capable of. I actually baked this on screen but my current oven doesn't get near as hot. If I put the screen on a low rack it always comes out uneven on the bottom due to the electric heating element in the oven. I might try inverting a big sheet pan and using that as the floor for my screen.
I remember that pie. It was gettin me in my dreams, too. I think the lowest I've gone on TF is .09, but I just might give .07 a try for a 15" whixh is the biggest my oven will take. My POS oven actually does a surprisingly good job. Maybe if you have $100 to blow  a slab of steel may get you there in that oven. I just got a 15x15x1/2 steel from Dough-jo, though you'd probably want a bigger one in which case you'd probably be getting it from Baking Steel and paying more like $150 at least. That is unless you scored something locally. That is if you even cared to try steel.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1106 on: January 25, 2018, 11:22:04 PM »
12" American style!
Everything about this pizza was good, had serious pizzeria taste. Came up with a nice cooked sauce that really stood out and flavored the pie.

Mozz is a mix of whole milk low moisture mozz + fresh mozz that finally has that mozzarella taste and stretch/chew I've been looking for. 8 oz on a 12" pie.

Made another pie with artichokes and banana peppers but no pics, both pies got devoured with rave reviews.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #1107 on: January 26, 2018, 07:52:26 AM »
Nice work Ryan, look great - BTW, what brand of pepperoni is that and did you slice it?
Norm

Offline janes_mw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1108 on: January 26, 2018, 08:48:31 AM »
Beautiful pies! Love the cheese mix!
Always looking for the best! Haven't found it yet, but damn fun looking!!!!

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1109 on: January 26, 2018, 12:37:52 PM »
Nice work Ryan, look great - BTW, what brand of pepperoni is that and did you slice it?

Thanks Norm!
Pepperoni was the pre-sliced package by Dietz & Watson. Good pepperoni, nice flavor without being completely overpowering like some pepperonis can be.

I sometimes hand slice their stick pepperoni but it tends to cup and char. I like cup and char pepperoni but there's something about a juicy pepperoni with crispy charred edges that just satisfies!

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1110 on: January 26, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »
Beautiful pies! Love the cheese mix!

Thank you! I loved the cheese mix too, not sure why I didn't think of trying it sooner, they really worked well together. I cubed it all and mixed them together, 16 oz low moisture, 8 oz fresh mozz.

Hermit's latest string of pies inspired me to try cubed mozz again. I messed with it briefly for a few Joe & Pat's style pies I made, it seems to lend more of that chew since it doesn't break down so aggressively.

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1111 on: January 26, 2018, 12:52:45 PM »
Thanks Norm!
Pepperoni was the pre-sliced package by Dietz & Watson. Good pepperoni, nice flavor without being completely overpowering like some pepperonis can be.

I sometimes hand slice their stick pepperoni but it tends to cup and char. I like cup and char pepperoni but there's something about a juicy pepperoni with crispy charred edges that just satisfies!

I hear you on the pepperoni, it's very thin pre-sliced pepperoni for me too lately with crispy edges.  I'm back to original Hormel.  I like my slices balanced, and if it's sausage, really thin shavings of NY pizza sausage with the charred ends.

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1112 on: January 26, 2018, 09:15:33 PM »
NY slice, extra sausage.  Looks like alot but isn't, it's shaved ultra thin from a specific sausage with casing.  Absolutely delicious with the charred bits.  Try it next time you're in NYC.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:08:02 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #1113 on: January 26, 2018, 09:33:31 PM »
NY slice, extra sausage.  Looks like alot but isn't, it's shaved ultra thin from real sausage with casing, no "rabbit dropping" ground pork bs and has balance.  Absolutely delicious with the charred bits.  Try it next time you're in NYC.

That looks legit sliced thin like that, too bad I don't have a hobart slicer. I like sliced sausage on a pie, buddy brought a pie by two days ago pepperoni, mushroom, and sliced sausage. Good slices!

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1114 on: January 26, 2018, 10:37:35 PM »
Harry I know you were talking about trying to get those sausage sliced thin at home, were you able to achieve that yet?  I too love sausage sliced thin and piled up on a slice like that, it reminds me of a NY slice spot I used to go to.  I thought you had mentioned doing a quick par freeze then slicing thin with a knife or slicer.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #1115 on: January 27, 2018, 07:50:50 AM »
I just cooked up a brick of sausage in my Sous Vide (Little Beans recipe), I think I'm going to bust out my slicer and give that a try today - looks great - thanks Harry  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:
Norm

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1116 on: January 27, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »
Harry I know you were talking about trying to get those sausage sliced thin at home, were you able to achieve that yet?  I too love sausage sliced thin and piled up on a slice like that, it reminds me of a NY slice spot I used to go to.  I thought you had mentioned doing a quick par freeze then slicing thin with a knife or slicer.

Yes, you can cook them first by boiling or roasting, freeze and then use a deli slicer into very thin slices and some pizzerias just do that with sausage from local pork store.  But the type I was looking for is only sold commercially by restaurant distributors under a brand called Fontanini and another that I can't remember at the moment. One difference in the sausage is it's way more processsed than a standard market Italian sausage and a much more concentrated flavor.  You can buy them in ropes and shave/slice yourself real thin or buy pre-sliced.  I'm sure they sell them at wholesale cash and carry stores.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:28:17 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1117 on: January 27, 2018, 08:22:00 AM »
This sounds great, Harry...Bake, freeze, slice  Sadly, my Hobart slicer is out for repairs right  now...oh wait, I don't  have a slicer, sharp knife will have to do  :)   

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1118 on: January 27, 2018, 09:09:33 AM »
Harry that sounds perfect.  I figured the sausage would be flavored a bit heavier to help those thin slices stand out.  Do you have any flavor profiles to share on that particular sausage?

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1119 on: January 27, 2018, 09:26:36 AM »
Harry that sounds perfect.  I figured the sausage would be flavored a bit heavier to help those thin slices stand out.  Do you have any flavor profiles to share on that particular sausage?

It's a sweet sausage, with what I'm thinking is alot of spices, garlic, fat content, and has a bit of smoky flavor.  It is umami rich and I'm thinking not the healthiest thing to eat.  I would not be surprised if there's MSG in it too. My best approximation is if sausage could ever taste somewhat like bacon.  It's different from market Italian sausage, definitely more processed, less moisture, more rigid prior to the bake but is tender with crispy edges out of the oven.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:26:33 AM by HarryHaller73 »