A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Blackstone to pizza party  (Read 590 times)

Offline Sledneck

• I Love Pizza!
Blackstone to pizza party
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
Im on the fence about getting a pizza party. Ive been using the blackstone a couple of years  these are  some pies i made Sunday. I want more of that leopard crust but noticed in many pies made out of a pizza party that it doesn't achieve that. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:55:25 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline rrpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone to pizza party
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:32:50 PM »
I have a PP bollore and from time to time I get LS. I think its not just down to the oven variables but also dough recipe & technique.

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:34:53 PM »
I have a BS, and get leoparding only with long cold fermentation - last time was 4 days,  IIRC , though I use 100% home milled whole wheat, you YMMV.

Offline pizzasal

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »
I know this comment is unrelated to the original question but..
Your BS isn't assembled correctly in the first photo.
In the photo of the mouth of the BS I can see the silver of the steel plate that holds the upper stone.

This has happened to me before (also when I was taking pictures).
Your steel shroud isn't seated correctly (that steel "cone" thing that circles the deck and holds the upper stone).
Sometimes mine shifts when I move the oven around.
This puts the upper stone at an odd angle, not parallel to the deck.
When this is seated correctly this stainless steel tray is hidden behind the black dome.
You probably know all of this but I wanted to point it out just in case you didn't.

Good looking pies BTW

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:25:41 PM »
This is what a Pizza Party oven is capable of: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36320.msg507633#msg507633

Most folks couldn't make pizza like that in any WFO.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Sledneck

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
I know this comment is unrelated to the original question but..
In the photo of the mouth of the BS I can see the silver of the steel plate that holds the upper stone.

This has happened to me before (also when I was taking pictures).
Your steel shroud isn't seated correctly (that steel "cone" thing that circles the deck and holds the upper stone).
Sometimes mine shifts when I move the oven around.
This puts the upper stone at an odd angle, not parallel to the deck.
When this is seated correctly this stainless steel tray is hidden behind the black dome.
You probably know all of this but I wanted to point it out just in case you didn't.

Good looking pies BTW
I didn't notice it until i looked at the pics the next. The cook was at a stadium tailgate and the oven gets bounced around in the truck en route . Funny thing is i kept commenting to the other guys that t the  oven was working better than ever that day. Hmmmmm :)

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »

Actually, it's assembled correctly, but it could have been designed/manufactured a little better.  Two out of my three ovens have the same problem.  The "wings" of that piece should be a little longer.  If it slides back and to one direction a little to far, it falls off of the edge. 

My solution was to drill a hole in the back support and put a self-tapping screw in a little.  Now when I put that top stone unit in place, I make sure the back rim is in front of the screw.  That forces it forward and keeps it from falling off the side supports.

--pat--