A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: cold fermentation  (Read 2948 times)

Offline artigiano

cold fermentation
« on: January 09, 2007, 04:43:04 PM »
I know this may be broad in regards to what is trying to be achieved with the dough..  but what exact temperature is good for a 24 - 28 hour cold fermentaion after a 25 minute autoylse of 70 percent of the flour?  I know a fridge is a fridge.. but there is a wide range of settings.  I think Pete-zza might appreciate this question as I am pretty sure he is all about numbers and formulas.  As I have learned formulas produce consistant and reliable results so I am looking forward to feedback.

ciao,
Alessandro

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: cold fermentation
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 07:06:44 PM »
Al,

You are pretty much at the mercy of your refrigerator if that is what you are using to store your dough balls during cold fermentation. So, it is difficult to talk about "exact" temperatures. Commercial coolers run about 35-40 degrees F. If the cooler is used primarily to store dough balls and especially if the dough balls are made in the evening such that they remain pretty much undisturbed during the night, without workers going in and out of the cooler, the cooler temperature will be fairly stable. A home refrigerator on the other hand runs around 40-45 degrees F and is subject to frequent opening and closing of the door to add or remove contents. That can cause the temperature to vary more than with most commercial coolers, with a bias toward the upper end of the refrigerator's operating range. In your case, with a desired 24-28 hour cold fermentation, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Where you are in Canada, especially this time of year, a 25-minute autolyse of 70% of the flour at room temperature is not going to materially affect the finished dough temperature. I don't think it would be a problem even in the summer if you are using 24-28 hours as a target and you aren't using high levels of yeast.

Peter

Offline chiguy

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 08:35:26 PM »
 artigiano,
 When the dough reaches 45F is when the fermentation is slowed considerably.Although commercial coolers run about 10 cooler the above temperature is what is needed to achieve the retarded fermentation. The finished dough temperature is the most important factor along with yeast %. I would tend to think that a higher dough temperture of 80-84F could produce a fairly decent finished crust after 24 hours. Although the life of the dough will probably be a bit shorter.
 The autolyse and flour used really has no impact on the fermentation other than to develop gluten. This should be done either way. The only thing the autolyse may effect is that it requires less mixing/kneading and therefore less friction. The less friction the lower the finished dough temperature. This can help or hurt you depending on what finished temperature you are trying to achieve.    Chiguy

Offline artigiano

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:35:32 PM »
Ok that makes sense!

thanks guys I usually let it come up to room temperature and leave it for about 2-3 hours after the cold fermentation.  Also, I started autolysing when I noticed the nice little bubbles I get in the dough.. its great!

al

wordpress