A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Alternative to Detroit Style Pans  (Read 583 times)

Offline PizzaManic

Alternative to Detroit Style Pans
« on: December 22, 2017, 08:56:30 AM »
Hey Guys

Here in South Africa, it's difficult to find tools such as Baking Pans that are specifically designed for the purposes of Pizza. I also find that Detroit Pizza is almost non-existent here or probably goes by some other name with the same characteristic. Bearing this in mind, obtaining a Detroit Style Pan is a difficult task - the only option is buying it from abroad which is a costly affair.

My question is for those of us that don't have easy access to Detroit Style Pan, what's the closest alternative in terms of Material Composition such as the Steel Type that's used, the gauge and the seasoning process - whether it should have a non-stick coating, etc.

I'm sure there are pans out there that will match whatever the criteria is but might just go by other names which makes it difficult to find.

Thanks
Mo
Regards Mo

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
Re: Alternative to Detroit Style Pans
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
You can see my thread and the pans Im using. These are the real deal.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=50234.0

IMHO I wouldn't use aluminum or pans with a non-stick surface.

You need a steel pan with about a 2" lip on it..

Season it by scrubbing it with soap and water. Dry it. Wipe it down with Flaxseed oil ( aka  Linseed oil see Wiki) turn it over and put it in a 425° F oven for 90 minutes. Cool. Reapply and bake 2-3 times. You can use corn oil, vegetable oil too.

Detroit style is a high hydration dough (73-75%) with no oil in it. The oil goes on top when its fermenting in the pan, I butter my pans before I put the dough in.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:18:02 PM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
I hope to post a full new thread on my successes soon, but I've found that the biggest single factor has not been the pan, but using a baking steel.  Perhaps you can find a 1/4 inch piece of steel plate to put in your oven.  Failing that, perhaps an inverted cast iron pan could work for limited sizes.

I've tested this with an actual pizzatools.com (Lloyd's) Detroit style pan, some heavy gauge aluminum pans (Pizza Hut personal pan pizza size), and most recently a couple of Calphalon 5" x 10" nonstick loaf pans I found on clearance at a home store for $4.50 apiece.  These latter ones might be my new favorites.

The key really seems to be the thermal mass of the preheated baking steel and plenty of olive oil in the pan, rather than any particular properties of the pan.

The legend behind the Detroit style pans is that they were repurposed pans that were used to hold nuts and bolts at the automobile factories.  Not finely-tuned culinary pans.  I suspect that deck ovens perform much the same service as the baking steel.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:14:37 PM »
I hope to post a full new thread on my successes soon, but I've found that the biggest single factor has not been the pan, but using a baking steel.  Perhaps you can find a 1/4 inch piece of steel plate to put in your oven.  Failing that, perhaps an inverted cast iron pan could work for limited sizes.

I've tested this with an actual pizzatools.com (Lloyd's) Detroit style pan, some heavy gauge aluminum pans (Pizza Hut personal pan pizza size), and most recently a couple of Calphalon 5" x 10" nonstick loaf pans I found on clearance at a home store for $4.50 apiece.  These latter ones might be my new favorites.

The key really seems to be the thermal mass of the preheated baking steel and plenty of olive oil in the pan, rather than any particular properties of the pan.

The legend behind the Detroit style pans is that they were repurposed pans that were used to hold nuts and bolts at the automobile factories.  Not finely-tuned culinary pans.  I suspect that deck ovens perform much the same service as the baking steel.

I bake my Detroit pizza with the same ceramic and steel inserts that I make my NY pizza on. Pans go on the codierite plate with the steel over them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:19:26 PM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 02:35:01 AM »
Hey Guys

I have a Baking Steel so this tip will come in handy. I know that the Baking Steel with help the bottom of the Pizza but what about the caramelized crust which is a signature I see in most Detroit Style Pizza's - is this also a result of baking steel or a more heavy gauged Pan?

Thanks
Mo
Regards Mo

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 09:38:42 AM »
Hey Guys

I have a Baking Steel so this tip will come in handy. I know that the Baking Steel with help the bottom of the Pizza but what about the caramelized crust which is a signature I see in most Detroit Style Pizza's - is this also a result of baking steel or a more heavy gauged Pan?

Thanks
Mo

Ive have only made Detroit pizza in a steel pan. I recommended them because if someone is starting new it would be best imho to use the right tool for the job and get the right pan. I liberally butter the pan prior to using it. I think that aids in frying the crust on the bottom. I haven't made Detroit pizza with out using a stone.
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 04:09:09 PM »
Yes, the steel helps immensely with the fried quality of the crust.  I use about a tablespoon of olive oil.  You also have to dial in the correct time and temperature.  11 minutes at 480F is the answer in my case.

I think thinner material metal is better, but thicker pans work.

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 02:22:51 AM »
Will need to give it a try then. Perhaps a steel pan is needed as well - will try to source one.
Regards Mo

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 08:31:57 AM »
Will need to give it a try then. Perhaps a steel pan is needed as well - will try to source one.

If you source a steel pan you will not have to use a baking steel. I bake my DS on the standard rack in my oven, Buddy's uses a conveyor, Detroit Style Pizza Co. uses deck ovens, there are a number of ways to bake it. I feel that good pan is the place to start, that's the one thing all the DS shops around here have in common.
Hans

Offline PizzaManic

Regards Mo

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 04:56:16 AM »
I don't think either of those loaf pans would be ideal. Not sure how much shipping is but these are what you need. Or something similar in size/shape.

http://lloydpanskitchenware.com/detroit-style-pizza-pan-8x10-inch-pstk/

https://detroitstylepizza.com/product/10-x-14-steel-dsp-pan/
Hans

wordpress