A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 362092 times)

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #820 on: February 21, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
got ya!!!  makes sense!  i think some people nuke the veggies for a bit on a paper towel to pull out some of the moisture?

Mr Mojo,

I think you are right about that one.  Another good trick is to nuke pepperoni in the microwave for about 15-30 seconds to get rid of some of the excess grease before placing it (any) pizza - that is, if you prefer to have less grease on your pizza.  ;) ;D

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #821 on: February 21, 2018, 09:16:34 PM »
right on!  thanks Mad_Ernie!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline mattymoe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #822 on: February 22, 2018, 03:23:58 PM »
Just thought I'd give everyone an update on my soggy pizza problem...

Since all the moisture seemed to extract from my mushrooms during the time I was baking my pizza, I decided to place the raw sliced mushrooms I was planning on using in the pizza on a wire lined baking sheet during the oven's pre-heat. It worked great! The mushroom dried out a great deal and intensified in flavor at the same time (about 15 minutes in the oven at around 500 degrees). When I placed the mushrooms in the pizza to cook, they plumped back up with the other juices/liquids inside the pizza - sausage fat, tomato sauce, etc. No more pools of mushroom water but still plenty of delicious mushroom taste!

Thanks for all the advice.

Here are some shots of the final result:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:55:55 PM by mattymoe »

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #823 on: February 22, 2018, 11:20:30 PM »
Nice!!!!  pizza looks awesome!!  excellent solution too!!  great thinking!  great job!!!!!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #824 on: February 22, 2018, 11:24:36 PM »
i'd pay good money for that pie!!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline Desmoface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #825 on: February 24, 2018, 10:20:42 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been glued to this forum, and this thread, in particular, since finding it.  Me and my better half loooove some Lou Malnati's and have failed miserably in previous attempts to replicate it at home.  I have to thank everyone who shared their techniques with the group as I've just threw my first feeble attempt in the fridge.  Here's what I attempted:

1 Pizza @ 25% semolina 9" Pan

Flour (100%):     135.09 g  |  4.78 oz | 0.3 lbs
Water (47%):     84.88 g  |  2.99 oz | 0.19 lbs
ADY (.6%):     1.08 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.29 tsp | 0.1 tbsp
Salt (.5%):     0.9 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.27 tsp | 0.09 tbsp
Olive Oil (5%):  9.03 g | 0.32 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.01 tsp | 0.67 tbsp
Corn Oil (18%):  32.51 g | 1.15 oz | 0.07 lbs | 7.22 tsp | 2.41 tbsp
Butter (1%):     1.81 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.38 tsp | 0.13 tbsp
Semolina (25%):  45.15 g | 1.59 oz | 0.1 lbs | 4.33 tbsp | 0.27 cups

I now realize how different this dough is than what I'm normally used to making...it's the oil.  I knew from reading this thread that the dough is oily, but I was surprised at just how oily it really is.  My scale only does whole numbers so I got pretty close in my measurements, but not 100% - hopefully that won't make too much of a difference.  Here's the dough before I stuck it in the fridge (see below).

For proofing the ADY; I stuck it in a shot glass with about an oz. of warm water.  I let it sit for about 15 minutes and didn't see much activity, is it supposed to bubble?  Anyway, I put a pinch of sugar in, to hopefully wake the yeast up.  Does this sound right?

I may try to make the pizza tomorrow evening, but there is an outside change it will have to wait till Monday night (it's Saturday night, now).  Hopefully that won't create any problems.

Tomorrow I'm heading out to the local Italian grocer to get some good cheese and some fixin's for the sauce - which I will have to research a bit more.  Like BTB, I'm not a fan of chunky sauce, but Lou Malnati's is the exception, LOL.

Thanks again, everyone.

Steve in Ohio

P.S. My Wife is skeptical and thinks I'm wasting my time; I'm hoping that the final result will renew her faith in me, LOL.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:25:47 PM by Desmoface »

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #826 on: February 25, 2018, 03:35:11 PM »
dough looks really good to me!!! nice!!!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline Desmoface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #827 on: February 25, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »
Thanks mrmojo,

I visited our local Italian specialty grocer and picked up some shredded Moz, some Romano, and some sausage.  My biggest concern was the dough, so I used whatever sauce my wife could find at the local Giant Eagle; Del Grosso, which was actually pretty good.  I'm not a big fan of chunky tomatoes in my sauce so now that I have a dough that I'm happy with, I'll start experimenting with sauce.  I went pretty light with everything as I read about people using too much and winding up with a soggy pie - didn't have any problems with that.

Anyway, started with the Moz, next came the green olives, pepperoni and then the sausage.  Then the sauce and romano.  I cooked it at 425 for about 20 minutes on the 2nd from bottom rack of my oven, then I covered the crust with a pie crust protector deal that my wife has, as it was getting a bit brown and I wanted to let it cook for at least another 10 minutes; I bumped the temp up to 450 and let it cook for around another 13 minutes because I left the oven open while I fumbled with the thingy to protect the crust. 

Anyway, it was good; I used BTB's 9" 25% semolina recipe.  Ok, I got the talking part done, let's see if I can get these pictures to post.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:31:18 PM by Desmoface »

Offline Desmoface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #828 on: February 25, 2018, 05:26:46 PM »
Ok, last 3, probably the most important images  ;D  How does it look?  Sure tasted good.

Steve

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:28:17 PM by Desmoface »

Offline Hermit

• I make do with what I have
« Reply #829 on: February 25, 2018, 05:36:21 PM »
I gotta get back on this train!!   :drool: Nice work Desmoface!  Looks like your juice level is perfect too  :chef:

Offline Desmoface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #830 on: February 25, 2018, 05:43:33 PM »
Thanks Hermit, I'm excited to make more; I loves a nice juicy piece of pizza.  Now I have to get some good 10" pans as I think that will be the perfect size.  I'm open to any pan recommendations.  Thanks.

Steve

I gotta get back on this train!!   :drool: Nice work Desmoface!  Looks like your juice level is perfect too  :chef:

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #831 on: February 26, 2018, 12:24:38 AM »
Thats a great looking chi deep dish.  Looks delicious!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline zaza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #832 on: February 26, 2018, 12:24:17 PM »
Hey guys, I made my second Deep dish but I followed VCB's real deep dish recipe for the crust opting not to use semolina or corn meal and it turned out fantastic.  I did use more cheese than the recipe states but the family and I love extra cheese.  I used a blend of Alta Cucina tomatoes and Muir Glen crushed organic, 2 to 1 Muir Glen To Alta Cuina and I really liked the way it turned out.  Before I pressed the dough into the pan I did sprinkle corn meal on both sides for an extra crunch but I gotta say next time I wont as it didn't add to the final result.

Offline Desmoface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #833 on: February 26, 2018, 02:05:40 PM »
Hi zaza,

That looks like it came out great.  How did you like it compared to semolina added to the recipe?

Steve

Offline zaza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #834 on: February 26, 2018, 02:11:43 PM »
Hi zaza,

That looks like it came out great.  How did you like it compared to semolina added to the recipe?

Steve

Thanks Steve,  I liked the flavor better without the semolina which seemed to add a pasta like flavor and made the crust a bit tougher.

I also wanted to tell you that your pie on this page looked delicious.  The color on the bottom looked perfect
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:27:41 PM by zaza »

Offline Desmoface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #835 on: February 26, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
Excellent, I’ll try it without the semolina next time.

Steve

Thanks Steve,  I liked the flavor better without the semolina which seemed to add a pasta like flavor and made the crust a bit tougher.

I also wanted to tell you that your pie on this page looked delicious.  The color on the bottom looked perfect

Offline Bidman50

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #836 on: March 10, 2018, 11:53:28 AM »
BTB, thanks for the recipe, some pics of my 1st attempt.

Offline Desmoface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #837 on: March 10, 2018, 01:32:05 PM »
Wow, that looks good.  I’m going to make some dough tonight for pizza on Monday night.  This time I’m going semolina free and it's going to be the maiden voyage of my new Chicago Metallic 12 Bakalon pan  ;D.  Thanks for the motivation.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:50:13 PM by Desmoface »

Online Dwain

• Bon Appétit!
« Reply #838 on: March 10, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »
I just put a Chicago Deep Dish dough to rest for tonight’s pie. Hope it turns out as nice as this one. It’s my first run at this style at home.
~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~  Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Offline Desmoface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #839 on: March 11, 2018, 11:38:22 AM »
My 2nd try, this time without semolina.  The dough seems to have risen to the occasion  ;D

Steve

wordpress