A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My trip to Naples and back  (Read 11535 times)

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: My trip to Naples and back
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2022, 04:49:52 PM »
Baked a pizza prosciutto tonight and debuted with a pizza bolognese from ragu di pomodoro made by mama. The prosciutto was good and the pizza bolognese was not bad but after it i was stuffed like a turkey.

The pizza bolognese i grated with pecorino and added 50 grams of sliced fiordilatte. I know that most add cream but i don't like it so i didn't use any.

My dog ate some of the cornicione.

With or without permission ?
Had a Doberman that grabbed a steak off the hot grill.  Definitely did not have my permission.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> Pizza Party Emizione, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2022, 05:04:33 PM »
With permission!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2022, 02:08:35 PM »
Pizza prosciutto cotto baked in 60 seconds with ham added and one turn after 45 seconds.

The dough balls were each 250 grams, i.m.h.o. the ideal weight for in an Effeuno oven.

Made the dough with the bread baking machine again, but somehow the pizza corners aren't as puffy as when i made the dough by hand.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2022, 11:34:12 AM »
After experimenting some more i noticed that the dry yeast i use works best when added directly to the flour instead of dissolving it in the water like i did.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2022, 12:06:17 PM »
Thatís curious. Wouldnít expect there to be a difference when mechanically kneading the dough. The crust looks great!
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2022, 12:13:15 PM »
The machine kneads fine indeed, i blamed it unjustified and have been using it again after kneading once by hand with the same result. It turns out that when i dissolved the dry yeast in the water it doesn't work as well as when i add it directly to the flour.

Thanks!

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2022, 02:15:18 PM »
What is the temperature of the water you use? Cold water was my first thought on this. I know itís recommended to add IDY to the flour when using a machine since it will distribute sufficiently and bring up the temperature, while for hand mixing/kneading, dissolving it in 38-40C water is recommended. My thought was that perhaps dissolving in cold or cool water could deteriorate the yeast, even if the machine still provide the same FDT.

That said, if this was a single event experience, perhaps something else did it. Did the dough behave and rise similarly as previous ones?
Heine

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2022, 07:03:15 PM »
Could very well be the water temperature, cause indeed i used very cold water, about 6 degrees since the machine warms it up. Using water that's 38-40c would be way too warm and the dough will be half baked when the machine is done mixing.  ;D

And no, it wasn't a single time experience, i noticed much less rising several times when the yeast is dissolved in the cold water.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 07:04:57 PM by Wario »

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2022, 12:34:24 AM »
You donít need 38-40C for the entire dough, only a few grams to dissolve the IDY into. I believe Tom suggested 5x the amount of IDY. If you ever do hand kneading again, you can give it a try.

Ref. Tomís replies here and here:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21801.msg220619;topicseen#msg220619

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37565.msg375567;topicseen#msg375567

He went into a bit more detail in a reply here, and how they found that cool water could hurt the IDY: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=57919.0

I mix and knead exclusively by hand and my experience is that the IDY had more power when suspended in 95-105F rather than directly into the formula water, which for me is 15C.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 12:37:22 AM by Heikjo »
Heine

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2022, 08:29:00 AM »
Thanks a lot for the interesting info Heikjo, now i know for sure what went wrong earlier! If i go back to kneading by hand (which is not likely due to the convenience of the machine) i will most certainly try to dissolve the IDY in a bit of warm water.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2022, 09:40:41 AM »
I, too, mixed by hand for a while. I really enjoyed it, loved the zen, the rhythm, being one with the dough. I thought after a while that my crust was less extensible and suspected that having fun just may be detrimental to my dough. Went back to the Kitchen aid for the absolute shortest time possible and my dough improved. I now mix with the kitchen aid very little and do many stretch and folds, as described by my favorite guys at Lilla Napoli. Better dough now.
Greg
A very patient wife! An Alfa Forni Brio for gas and wood.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2022, 10:51:56 AM »
Maybe I should give the mixer another try. Iím convinced by other members here with spiral mixers that it has a positive effect, but I havenít been able to get there myself with my planetary mixer, though I must confess I havenít done a whole lot of testing with it. When I experiment I often make only one or two balls, which is a little bit too small for the bowl. I could make larger batches and fridge or freeze the ones we donít eat. But it has to work with three balls, which is my usual bake.
Heine

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2022, 10:57:03 AM »
Nice to see improvement while having fun Icelandr!

I always kneaded the dough by hand until recently when i discovered the break baking machine. The results of the dough are equal as kneading by hand (which i never liked to do very much) so i choose the bread baking machine for convenience. :)

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2022, 11:00:02 AM »
Maybe I should give the mixer another try. Iím convinced by other members here with spiral mixers that it has a positive effect, but I havenít been able to get there myself with my planetary mixer, though I must confess I havenít done a whole lot of testing with it. When I experiment I often make only one or two balls, which is a little bit too small for the bowl. I could make larger batches and fridge or freeze the ones we donít eat. But it has to work with three balls, which is my usual bake.
The reason i picked a bread baking machine is because it is ideal for small portions. It can knead dough for a single pizza if needed. Perhaps you'd like to look into one, since they aren't too expensive. :)

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2022, 05:04:57 AM »
Yesterday i made some new dough with the bread baking machine (from now on called bbm lol) and this time i used a hydration of 62% which is a lot lower then the 70% i normally run with. I read that 62% hydro is what the pizzaioli in Naples use, so i am thrilled to give it a go!

This is my recipe for four dough balls of 270 grams each.

Flour 650 g
Water (very cold) 400 ml
Salt 20 g
IDY 1 g

Dissolve the salt in the cold water. Put half the flour in the bbm, then the IDY and the rest of the flour. Put on the bbl and leave the lid open. Let it mix for a minute or two en sprinkle the water bit by bit on top of the flour while the bbm keeps mixing. When all the water is poured into the flour, close the lid. Optionally you can choose to let the bbl finish the program like i do, or if you think that is too long just stop the program earlier and take out the dough. I stretch and fold it one or two times and shape it into a big ball. Put the ball in a bowl, cover it and you're done while the hands are kept clean!

12-24 hours bulk rise and about 8 hours in balls. All RT about 15c.

Tonight it is pizza time.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2022, 11:57:37 AM »
This might have been my best pizza yet!  :o

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2022, 12:45:40 PM »
Really liking the 62,5% hydro and the bbm mixes the dough nicely!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2022, 02:19:49 PM »
Today the weather was fine in the Frozenlands so i decided to eat pizza outside. Still rolling with the lower hydro of 62,5% which i really like a lot lately. The bottom is still soft and crunchy and relatively saltier as with higher hydro's.

Prosciutto it is again, cause i like hog!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #178 on: June 16, 2022, 12:56:48 PM »
Some more pizza Margherita with very good prosciutto ham. The prosciutto is added after 45 seconds when the pizza is turned.

Baked in 55 seconds at 500 C.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2022, 12:24:58 PM »
Very nice, and very consistent! These are all so well done with beautiful cornicione and excellent bottom (ehem).

I love your passion for a good prosciutto.