A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tastiest cheese for Neapolitan pizza?  (Read 474 times)

Offline 9slicePie

Tastiest cheese for Neapolitan pizza?
« on: June 14, 2022, 12:51:37 PM »
What is the tastiest cheese (in your opinion) for Neapolitan pizza [and the one with the best melt/pull]?  Of all the fresh mozzarella cheeses I used, they don't really have a taste.  I need to sprinkle on a grated hard cheese to add salt/flavor to the pizza.

(Mods, feel free to move/close this thread if redundant)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 01:54:39 PM by 9slicePie »

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
Re: Tastiest cheese for Neapolitan pizza?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 01:34:46 PM »
Are you looking for a mozzarella or any kind? Have you tried buffalo mozzarella?
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 01:51:30 PM »
Are you looking for a mozzarella or any kind?

Whatever mozzarella works/tastes best for Neapolitan pizza (in your opinion).

Quote from:
Have you tried buffalo mozzarella?

I have.  But would need to try again to see how I feel about it.  I tried it once I think a long time ago;  pricy. VERY pricy (and that was then; I wonder how much it costs THESE days).   Probably why I didn't buy again.  But worth a try.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 02:03:47 PM by 9slicePie »

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 03:07:48 PM »
As far as flavor goes in mozzarella, Iíve yet to find something that beats fresh buffalo mozzarella. It is expensive, no doubt, and whatís available will vary from person to person. I donít make pizza frequently enough or in large enough volumes that the toppings ruin me if I get something fancy.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 05:11:50 PM »
I like fiordilatte and use grated pecorino for extra flavor. Young cheese always lacks flavor in my opinion, so for more taste adding ham and or pecorino is inevitable. A Margherita without it doesn't do it for me and has very little flavor.

Using grated pecorino on the Margherita is common among Italian pizzaioli and that's where i copied it from. Sometimes i use Dutch cheese instead which has more flavor to but is a little too fat to grate.

Before i used fiordilatte which i order online and put in the freezer, i tried lot's of different mozzarella's from the supermarket, but they all seemed like they were made out of rubber. Creating a good tasting pizza with that crap is impossible!

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 07:22:25 PM »

Grande Fior de latte is awesome.  I buy the Ovalini's from a local vendor and it's quite impressive!!!!!

wordpress