A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
I don't own a gas oven, but a wood oven 56 * 62cm (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=68077.0). I am still learning how much how to use it. It's hard to control the temp, starting the fire. To find the wood is another hard question, what I buy from the shop is too big to burn. I bought an axe to cut. I am a newbie to cut wood, one 25-30cm diameter wood needs more than 50 swings. I almost give up. Every time after cooking, I need to vacuum all the ash. I tempt to DIY a gas burner.

Might try a maul or a kindling cracker if having trouble processing wood. I get seasoned apple wood straight from local orchards in my area. They have a special wood pile for pizza oven wood (less than 3 inch diameter) and I use a maul to chop it into smaller pieces.

I consider the chopping as exercise but can see why others might get annoyed. Much cheaper than buying kiln-dried and packaged wood from the stores however.
Chicago Style / Re: Newbie Deep Dish and the "C" word
« Last post by Garvey on Today at 10:18:19 PM »
same-day dough being too unpredictable

I first experienced this (the unpredictability) when I was working on thin crust.  I always had to keep a long, two-pronged fork handy and poke the dough bubbles halfway through the bake.  Warm fermented doughs required too much fuss.  My goals are predictable replicability and efficiency (i.e., remove any extra steps).  To achieve the latter, I usually A/B test something and see if there is any difference, and if there is, then I have to decide whether the ROI is there to do something the longer/more complicated way.
Detroit Style / Re: Detroit Style
« Last post by Jon in Albany on Today at 10:10:59 PM »
Well, thank you all for everything that you do for the forum.

Big thanks. I'm pretty sure I would have gone nuts (or even nuttier) without being able to check in on the forum constantly.
Cookbook Reviews / Re: The Pizza Bible
« Last post by parallei on Today at 09:47:10 PM »
....... The recipes are all solid as far as I can tell, but not one represents a classic interpretation. .......

You should get in touch with Tony and point him in the right direction. I'm sure he would more than appreciate your input.
« Last post by Pete-zza on Today at 09:45:02 PM »
I'm still getting over the time I wasted with Reinharts American Pie with recipes and techniques that are just not right.   At least both books spend time on the people and places that inspired them.
rossopizza,

At the time that I purchased the American Pie book, I thought that it was the best pizza book among those I looked at or purchased. I especially liked the historical aspects of the pizza business and how Peter laid it out organizationally. But as I grew as a pizza researcher I started to see some of the problems, at least in my opinion, with several of his pizza recipes. I perhaps attributed the problems to Peter having approached pizza from the bread making side.

These days, to be fair, I think that Peter has gotten better over time with his recipes and related pizza advice, and I suspect that were he to write a pizza book today it would be a lot different, and much improved, over American Pie.

Peter
« Last post by rossopizza on Today at 09:32:49 PM »
This whole Pizza Championship thing seems a bit dodgy to me, more self-promotion than culinary.  Just lurking here since I thought I would learn more from the Bible than is actually there. The recipes are all solid as far as I can tell, but not one represents a classic interpretation. Shouldn't be called a Bible in this case. I'm still getting over the time I wasted with Reinharts American Pie with recipes and techniques that are just not right.   At least both books spend time on the people and places that inspired them.
« Last post by Pete-zza on Today at 09:06:51 PM »
Hans,

Thank you for your kind remarks. We have a unique and extremely comprehensive forum unlike anything I have ever seen. And it is global in nature, with members who have registered from over 139 countries. But it does take a lot of work to manage it.

In line with my last post, I went through the Sicilian board threads this evening and found about a dozen more threads that were not identified as being Detroit style in the topic headings but were really Detroit style. I moved the threads over to the new Detroit Style board.

I also found several other threads that were improperly posted on the Sicilian board and moved those threads to their more appropriate homes.

Peter
« Last post by HansB on Today at 08:39:51 PM »
Hans,

Steve and/or Bill did it. I was going to volunteer but hadn't gotten around to doing it because my regular duties have increased quite a bit because of Covid-19. The Sicilian board still has 14 pages of posts and I suspect that there are still some Detroit style threads in that board but perhaps not so named. I plan to scour the Sicilian board to try to find them, and move them over to the Detroit Style board if warranted.

Peter

Well, thank you all for everything that you do for the forum.
Chicago Style / Re: Newbie Deep Dish and the "C" word
« Last post by vcb on Today at 08:26:20 PM »
This one is for Ed and anyone else who has tried his various recipes through out the years and can provide feedback. Which one is your favorite go to version thus far and why??? Also, do you prefer a slow rise method in the fridge or same day punch down with no refrigeration needed?

I had been using my RDD Quick dough recipe as my "go to" which is why I have been working on the revised Holy Grail recipe.
That's not to say that every pizza was done same-day. I've done cold ferments with that recipe also.

My favorite version is usually the last pizza I made, but as you can tell, I keep trying to make it better.
I'll let you know on Saturday night / Sunday morning on the 48hr test pizza.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20