A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style Pizza Dough  (Read 5263 times)

Offline 3.14 Guy Version 2.0

• I Love Pizza!
Detroit Style Pizza Dough
« on: September 29, 2015, 04:41:52 PM »
Hello,

I found a Detroit Style dough recipe a long time ago on here, but can't remember from whom.  I made some adjustments for my 12"X17" pan and have been using it with typically good results for the past few years.  This is the recipe:

SALT: 0.20 oz.
WATER: 10.5 oz.
FLOUR: 14.0 oz.
YEAST: 0.10 oz.

And the instructions:
-   Dissolve salt into water in KA bowl
-   Add flour
-   Sprinkle yeast on top
-   Using dough hook mix until incorporated, then mix low speed for 8 minutes.
-   Remove hook
-   Using spatula, scrape dough off hook and off the sides of bowl down into middle of bowl to form a ball
-   Allow to rest for 20 minutes
-   Add 2.25 tsp olive oil to 12X17 pan (1.5 tsp for 10X14 pan), using brush to completely cover all inside surface
-   Using rubber spatula coated in oil, scrape dough into pan
-   Oil fingers well and use fingertips to spread dough around bottom of pan gently
-   Set pan aside, cover with towel and allow to rise at room temperature for 4 hours
-   After rise time add toppings (pepperoni first, then cheeses, then other toppings, then sauce

This is then baked in the home oven for about a total of 20-25 minutes at 475 degrees.

I like the crumb I get usually, but there's not a ton of flavor to the crust, and the crumb, while somewhat airy, isn't as open and airy as I'd like.

Does anything in my recipe look out of place, or off?  Is there any tweaks I could make to increase the airiness and punch up the crust flavor a bit?

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Detroit Style Pizza Dough
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 04:44:10 PM »
I almost forgot to ask (the whole reason I thought of posting this): Should I be putting the pan of dough in the refrigerator for a few days?  Would that help with the flavor?  When I let it rest now it's only for 4 hours at room temp.

Thanks.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 05:36:38 PM »
I have had outstanding success with Norma's Detroit style recipe described here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg347151#msg347151  I wrote about how my guests enjoyed it here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg369549#msg369549  Here is where I describe the edge cheese (white cheddar) and the butter crisco in the pan http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=38195.msg384243#msg384243

Norma's recipe really rocks for Detroit!  I do like she does and cold ferment it in the pan overnight.  The white cheddar around the edges totally transforms the edge with crispy, cheese goodness.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 05:38:10 PM by bigMoose »
All the best, Dave

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 05:53:37 PM »
Thanks bigMoose, I'm going to check out her recipe compared to mine.  I try to use white cheddar for just around the edges and shredded mozz for the interior.  My son is now working for a local Detroit style pizza company (can't say which one, although it's pretty easy to figure out  ;) being on the East side of Detroit and all).  Anyways, he brings home the nicest pan style pizzas and I just wish I could get some fantastic flavor like they are making in the shop there.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 12:22:09 AM »
Thanks bigMoose, I'm going to check out her recipe compared to mine.  I try to use white cheddar for just around the edges and shredded mozz for the interior.  My son is now working for a local Detroit style pizza company (can't say which one, although it's pretty easy to figure out  ;) being on the East side of Detroit and all).  Anyways, he brings home the nicest pan style pizzas and I just wish I could get some fantastic flavor like they are making in the shop there.

I bet Shawn would give him a copy of the home recipe. Also Det Style Pizza Co uses a mix of brick and mozz.
Instagram @hans_michigan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 07:51:42 PM »
I bet Shawn would give him a copy of the home recipe. Also Det Style Pizza Co uses a mix of brick and mozz.

;D

Hans, not really looking to duplicate it, just want to develop my own with great flavor like theirs.

wordpress