A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style - My way  (Read 54356 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Detroit Style - My way
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2016, 04:45:44 AM »
Pepapi, that looks like a good plan. I put my dough in the pan right after mixing. You can press it out after CF, It can be elastic so it may take a few times with rest between to get it spread out in the pan. I don't punch the dough down at all. By the time you bake it should be really puffy. I bake at 525 for about 11 minutes. If you bake at 500 start checking at 11 minutes and pull it out when it looks good to you.

Good luck and post photos of you pie!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Stryda

« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2016, 05:20:27 PM »
1st attempt at this, turned out really well and tasted nice, thanks for sharing the recipe!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2016, 06:02:22 PM »
Looks really good! Thanks for sharing the photo.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline pepapi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
Guys, here is my attempt.  For the sauce I used San Marzanos and did the FWSY Sauce from The Elements of Pizza book, cooked the sauce and then put some on top after the bake.  It was delicious.  I would make a couple of small changes next time:
-increase dough ball by 5% as I found it was a tiny bit small for the 14" pan to completely cover
-I didn't have mild white cheddar, only aged white cheddar and some orange cheddar with mozza.  It was a tiny bit salty to me.
-I will crank the cheese near the entire edge of the pizza as it was delicious and I want more!

Here is the complete recipe:

Detroit style pan pizza, for 14 round, 2 balls. 1.5% compensation
Flour (100%): 598 g | 21.11 oz | 1.32 lbs
Water (68%): 407 g | 14.35 oz | 0.9 lbs
IDY (1%): 6 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.99 tsp | 0.66 tbsp
Salt (2.5%): 15 g | 0.53 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.68 tsp | 0.89 tbsp
Total (171.5%): 1026 g | 36.2 oz | 2.26 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball: 513 g | 18.1 oz | 1.13 lbs
-Place lukewarm water in mixing bowl and add salt, stir until dissolved. Add flour until absorbed and then switch to dough hook. Sprinkle on the IDY and continue to mix for 5-6 minutes. Oil pan very lightly with vegetable oil or lard (you do NOT need to deep fry this pizza, keep it very light) and stretch skin out in 14" deep dish pan and place in fridge for 12 hours. If skin doesn't want to stretch to full size, cover and leave on counter for 10 minutes, trying again.
-Remove from fridge and let sit covered on counter for 8 hours, it will rise decently during this time.
-Preheat oven to 500F with convection.
-Sprinkle a little oregano on dough, put pepperoni on first and then cheese blend of 1 part aged cheddar, 1 part orange cheddar and 3 parts mozza. Cheese should go all the way to edge of raised pan to later crisp up. Do not be shy with cheese near edge, the more the better as it will make a terrific crispy edge.
-Put dollops of uncooked pizza sauce on top of pizza. (if you have a good cooked sauce it can go on after bake). For my attempt I used San Marzano tomatoes and went with the FWSY sauce from The Elements of Pizza, a great book.
-Bake at 500 with convection for 8 minutes on 2nd bottom oven rack. Turn off convection and go for another 3 minutes for a total of 11. You will have to play around with oven rack positioning and convection to get the perfect bake, as usual with all pizzas, this is simply ideal for my gas oven.
-Remove from pan immediately upon coming out of oven to prevent dough from absorbing extra fat and ruining crisp.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2016, 02:49:03 AM »
That looks really good. I bet it tasted great!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2016, 07:21:22 AM »

^^^  :drool: :drool:
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline pepapi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2016, 02:32:34 PM »

It was very tasty to be sure!!  I would do a few things differently and will do so tonight as I have my new 10x14" pans all seasoned up and ready to go for tonight's cook!

I ran a couple dough balls last night and they were terribly sticky and hard to work with.  Are yours really super sticky and hydrated like mine have been Hbolte?  I'm wondering if I need a tad more flour to give them a tiny bit of work-ability the next time.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »
Mine are not too sticky. You could try 68% hydration.

Hans
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline pepapi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2016, 03:29:04 PM »
Mine are not too sticky. You could try 68% hydration.

Hans

The recipe I used was 68%, listed above.  Do you normally go higher than that?  I'm measuring with room temp water, what do you normally use, and would it have an impact to the stickiness?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2016, 07:53:48 PM »
I use King Arthur bread flour @70% hydration. Water is room temp, around 68F. With higher hydration dough you have to knead it until it is not sticky anymore.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline pepapi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2016, 08:07:04 AM »
I use King Arthur bread flour @70% hydration. Water is room temp, around 68F. With higher hydration dough you have to knead it until it is not sticky anymore.

Hmm, maybe I didn't mix it long enough.  My process is water first, mix in the salt, use flat beater until flour is absorbed then switch to C hook, sprinkle on the yeast and go for 5 or 6 minutes.  Maybe I need to up the mixing time.  It was like a friggin focaccia dough.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:45:52 AM by pepapi »

Offline pepapi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2016, 10:18:34 AM »
Here is last night's effort, with recipe and notes:

For the sauce I used San Marzanos and did the FWSY Sauce from The Elements of Pizza book, cooked the sauce and then put some on top after the bake.  It was delicious.  I would make a couple of small changes next time:
-increase dough ball by 5% as I found it was a tiny bit thin for my liking, I really want it to puff up
-68% hydration is good but I think it's too sticky so I'll mix for 7-8 minutes next time instead of 5-6
-20 hour total fermentation so if you want to eat at 5 PM, start making the recipe around 8-9 PM the night before.  Fridge for 12 hours, take out at 8-9 AM before work and eat at a normal time
-Tiny bit salty to me, 2.5% in crust is fairly normal so it's probably cheese or sauce that needs to be adjusted
-ruined my new pans pretty good, they stuck very badly.  I seasoned them 4 times and they looked pretty good to me but i think i should have perhaps gone with a drier recipe on the first run.

Here is the complete recipe:

Detroit style pan pizza, for 10x14" rectangular, 2 balls. 1.5% residue compensation
Flour (100%): 598 g | 21.11 oz | 1.32 lbs
Water (68%): 407 g | 14.35 oz | 0.9 lbs
IDY (1%): 6 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.99 tsp | 0.66 tbsp
Salt (2.5%): 15 g | 0.53 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.68 tsp | 0.89 tbsp
Total (171.5%): 1026 g | 36.2 oz | 2.26 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball: 513 g | 18.1 oz | 1.13 lbs
-Place lukewarm water in mixing bowl and add salt, stir until dissolved. Add flour until absorbed and then switch to dough hook. Sprinkle on the IDY and continue to mix for 5-6 minutes.  Dough will be very sticky, you will need to oil your fingers to handle.  Oil pan very lightly with vegetable oil or lard (you do NOT need to deep fry this pizza, keep it very light), stretch skin out in 10x14" deep dish pan and place in fridge for 12 hours. If skin doesn't want to stretch to full size, cover and leave on counter for 10 minutes then try again.
-Remove from fridge and let sit covered on counter for 8 hours, it will rise decently during this time.
-Preheat oven to 500F with convection.
-Sprinkle a little oregano on dough, put pepperoni on first and then cheese blend of 2 parts white cheddar and 3 parts high quality pizza mozza. Cheese should go all the way to edge of raised pan to later crisp up. Do not be shy with cheese near edge, the more the better as it will make a terrific crispy edge.
-Put dollops of uncooked pizza sauce on top of pizza. (if you have a good cooked sauce it can go on after bake). For this attempt I used San Marzano tomatoes and went with the FWSY sauce from The Elements of Pizza, a great book.
-Bake at 500 with convection for 8 minutes on 2nd bottom oven rack. Turn off convection and go for another 3 minutes for a total of 11. You will have to play around with oven rack positioning and convection to get the perfect bake, as usual with all pizzas, this is simply ideal for my gas oven.
-Remove from pan immediately upon coming out of oven to prevent dough from absorbing extra fat and ruining precious crisp.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:34:41 AM by pepapi »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
Those look very nice!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2016, 09:27:32 PM »
Bob

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2016, 09:40:08 AM »
Those look delicious.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2016, 06:19:11 PM »
Today was the first time using LDMP. I think this pie came out really close to the original Buddy's. Nice light crust with a nice crisp and color on the bottom. The bottom stayed crispy to the last piece.

100% KABF     160g
  70% HYD       112g
   1% IDY         1.6g
   2% Salt         3.2g
   2% LDMP      3.2g

Total 280g in an 8X10 pan. 4 hour RTF. Middle rack @525F.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:21:32 PM by HBolte »
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »
That is one sweet pie Hans.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2016, 08:32:58 PM »
Thank you very much Craig.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:30:50 PM by HBolte »
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Hammer77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2016, 08:48:46 AM »
Tried this yesterday many thanks to Hans, I used the formula in the first post doubled for a 10x14 pan. Did my favorite topping combo, it was very nice, will be using again, planning on this Friday as of matter of fact. Sorry my pictures don't do it justice, still got work on my pie pic skills.

Thanks again Hans!

Dave
Dave

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2016, 08:52:29 AM »
Nice pizza Dave. Glad it worked for you and thanks for posting photos!
Instagram @hans_michigan

wordpress