A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joe & Pat's Pizzeria, Staten Island  (Read 22951 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Joe & Pat's Pizzeria, Staten Island
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2016, 11:43:15 PM »
Hand stretching the thin dough is not hard if the dough is in decent shape.  You could do it easy Norma.  Walter

Walter,

I am not still good at stretching dough really thin and keeping the skin even.  Maybe I need to come out and visit and get some lessons.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2016, 12:39:24 AM »
Walter,

I am not still good at stretching dough really thin and keeping the skin even.  Maybe I need to come out and visit and get some lessons.

Norma

Norma:  Come on out. We will advertise you as our guest pizza maker and you can make enough $ to pay your trip.  Judy says come on out too.  Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2016, 05:21:21 AM »
Norma:  Come on out. We will advertise you as our guest pizza maker and you can make enough $ to pay your trip.  Judy says come on out too.  Walter

Walter,

Thank you and Judy for the invite.  Maybe next year.  I sure had fun when you both lived in Ohio.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2016, 05:41:50 AM »
A blogger's opinion of Joe and Pat's pizza.  If the photo of the two slices are blown up it looks like there is a hard cheese added, in addition to the mozzarella.

https://thepizzasnob.net/2012/09/14/thin-crispy-crunchy-staten-islands-joe-pats/

In this article it does say Joe and Pat's uses a touch of percorino romano.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/06/dining/pizza-2002-the-state-of-the-slice.html 

I couldn't see any kind of hard cheese on my slices, but knew there must be some other cheese other than Grande.

Norma

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »
A blogger's opinion of Joe and Pat's pizza.  If the photo of the two slices are blown up it looks like there is a hard cheese added, in addition to the mozzarella.

https://thepizzasnob.net/2012/09/14/thin-crispy-crunchy-staten-islands-joe-pats/

In this article it does say Joe and Pat's uses a touch of percorino romano.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/06/dining/pizza-2002-the-state-of-the-slice.html 

I couldn't see any kind of hard cheese on my slices, but knew there must be some other cheese other than Grande.

Norma

What did the sauce taste like to you?
the proof is in the pizza

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2016, 12:24:50 PM »
What did the sauce taste like to you?

Ryan,

This was just my personal opinion of how the sauce tasted.  It was a little sweet with a little bit of tang.  For my tastes it was very good.  I am not sure if any hard cheese was used, but think there might have been.  I just licked some of the sauce off of one edge and really liked it.  I didn't really see anything in the sauce.

Norma

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2016, 10:59:23 PM »
Here is my say about Joe and Pats Pizza
It does not get any better to have a slice of Joe and Pats(best pizza I have ever tasted}
They have the BEST sauce and think that they use Grande chesse
If you are on staten island on a Monday or Tuesday go buy a few large pizzas and freeze them since on those days they are only $10 per large plain pie
As for the sauce you can buy it at around $3 for a 24oz cup(I buy 5 or 7 cups when I am in the area and freeze it when I get home}
Nobody can make a Joe and Pats Pizza and I think its the sauce that makes the pie....................JT

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2016, 11:04:04 PM »
Here is my say about Joe and Pats Pizza
It does not get any better to have a slice of Joe and Pats(best pizza I have ever tasted}
They have the BEST sauce and think that they use Grande chesse
If you are on staten island on a Monday or Tuesday go buy a few large pizzas and freeze them since on those days they are only $10 per large plain pie
As for the sauce you can buy it at around $3 for a 24oz cup(I buy 5 or 7 cups when I am in the area and freeze it when I get home}
Nobody can make a Joe and Pats Pizza and I think its the sauce that makes the pie....................JT

Isn't the sauce just tomatoes? What's in it?

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2016, 11:07:16 PM »
If I knew what was in the sauce I would be making my own.
You should see them making hundreds of pies on a Friday and sat nites where others that
make pizza don't come close..................JT

HarryHaller73

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2016, 11:11:55 PM »
If I knew what was in the sauce I would be making my own.
You should see them making hundreds of pies on a Friday and sat nites where others that
make pizza don't come close..................JT

I've had Joe and Pat's many times, it's most likely a CA tomato with pecorino romano and there are many types of pecorino romano.  Sauce is a bit tart, a bit sweet, and salty glutamatic acids from the romano.  It's not a complex sauce.  Some oregano, and light splashes of other things.   What makes their pie special is their thin crust and the balance of other ingredients within that thin crispy yet foldable crust.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:33:22 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
From this article the below poster said he worked there in the early 1970's and Angelo would cook the sauce.  Whether that was for their round pies, or if they still cook the sauce who knows.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2007/10/food_network_cameras_take_slic.html

bobs77Oct 22, 2007
I worked for Joe and Pats for 5 years back in the early 1970's. Back when Angelo (Joe and Pats Dad) would cook his sauce for 12 -14 hours I remember having to prep it when it was done ... and cleaning the pot!!!! Rolling the 100+ lbs of dough several times a week ...Cutting my finger on a slicer at 1AM ... Going out weekends with Ciro, Mark, Ivan, Bruce, Doug.. to Jokers 2, Brothers 3 Those were all parts Joe and Pats history... Besides they did make the BEST pizza...

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2016, 11:41:23 PM »
The sauce I've had is definitely not cooked. In my opinion, it's just crushed tomato.

From this article the below poster said he worked there in the early 1970's and Angelo would cook the sauce.  Whether that was for their round pies, or if they still cook the sauce who knows.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2007/10/food_network_cameras_take_slic.html

bobs77Oct 22, 2007
I worked for Joe and Pats for 5 years back in the early 1970's. Back when Angelo (Joe and Pats Dad) would cook his sauce for 12 -14 hours I remember having to prep it when it was done ... and cleaning the pot!!!! Rolling the 100+ lbs of dough several times a week ...Cutting my finger on a slicer at 1AM ... Going out weekends with Ciro, Mark, Ivan, Bruce, Doug.. to Jokers 2, Brothers 3 Those were all parts Joe and Pats history... Besides they did make the BEST pizza...

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2016, 07:57:52 AM »
The sauce I've had is definitely not cooked. In my opinion, it's just crushed tomato.

Lou,

I agree.  I just posted what a former worker said, but really didn't think the sauce was cooked.

This is what Adam Kuban pointed out.

Anyone familiar with Joe & Pat's will instantly recognize the pizza at Rubirosa. It is a carbon copy of its Castleton Corners forbear, where A. J. began working at age 12. A patchwork of good-quality fresh mozzarella covers a bright-red swath of slightly sweet crushed tomatoes -- all atop an ultrathin crust that is crunchy at the edges but gives way to a crisp and pliant middle.

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2011/02/rubirosa-little-italy-italian-pizza-nyc-opening-review.html

The below article also says the sauce at Joe and Pat's is a mildly sweet crushed tomato sauce.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/joe-and-pats-pizzeria/

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2016, 08:46:14 AM »
In the below video the revolving oven can be seen at Rubirosa.

A pizza maker stretching a pizza dough at Rubirosa at about 30 seconds into the video.  I wouldn't tend to think that was a gluten-free dough, but don't know.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2016, 09:10:05 PM »
These were the two attempts at a Joe and Pat's pizza today.  The first pizza had Grande cheese and the second one used the regular cheddar.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2016, 09:12:39 PM »
Second attempt.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »
Went to Joe and Pat's again last evening.  I will post other photos of Joe and Pat's when there is time.  Gotta make dough batchs at market soon.  Was Christmas shopping early this morning and didn't get home until after midnight last night.

Joe and Pat's was very busy last evening.  Called ahead and there was a 20 minute wait time for what I ordered.  Got to watch more and see the cheese diced size.  The dices were bigger than I thought before.  The doughs looked on the dry side.  While I was waiting I ordered a small container of sauce.  It is good, but don't think a lot is added. 

The photos of the Joe and Pat's slices are at my daughter's home.  The others photos are the 2 slices I ordered to take home, when I got home.  When the one cold slice was folded, it cracked like a cracker, near the rim crust.  I didn't see any hard cheeses added to any of the pizzas.  That Fish oven sure can handle a lot of pizzas.  There was only one man tending the oven and one man topping all of the pizzas.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »
Norma

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »
Pie look great, looks like fresh basil in the sauce? How much oil do you think is in the dough?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:20:12 PM by invertedisdead »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2016, 08:29:49 PM »
Pie look great, looks like fresh basil in the sauce? How much oil do you think is in the dough?

Ryan,

I just tasted a tiny bit of sauce quickly this morning, but did not decect basil.   I will taste it more tomorrow.  I have no idea how much oil is in Joe and Pat's dough.  Maybe another member can help with what they think would a decent amount of oil to try. 

The one man that was pounding out the doughs was pounding two at a time.  I did not see any bubbles of fermentation in the skins. 

The taste of the crust wasn't anything special, but the thinness, crispness of the bottom crust, and the balance of cheese and sauce were very good.  The pepperoni is very good too.  The pepperoni is applied haphazardly.  The pepperoni sits on top of the dices of cheese before the pizzas go into the oven.  The sauce looked very thin when it was applied.  Not a lot of sauce is used.

Norma

wordpress