A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joe & Pat's Pizzeria, Staten Island  (Read 22954 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Joe & Pat's Pizzeria, Staten Island
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2016, 10:33:53 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I want To try this one again on stone instead of screen like I used last time. My peel can only do 14" so that's what I can do. They look to use a solid amount of pepperoni too. Since it will bake differently on stone I'm not sure how much water and oil to use. Maybe 55+ 3% oil? Something to mess with after the holidays.
the proof is in the pizza

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2016, 06:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I want To try this one again on stone instead of screen like I used last time. My peel can only do 14" so that's what I can do. They look to use a solid amount of pepperoni too. Since it will bake differently on stone I'm not sure how much water and oil to use. Maybe 55+ 3% oil? Something to mess with after the holidays.

Ryan,

Yes, Joe and Pat's does use a lot of pepperoni.  Your idea to use the 55% hydration and 3% oil sounds good.  Was the dough strong enough to toss and twirl the last time you tried your dough at Reply 23 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45716.msg458365#msg458365 

I am not sure what formulation to try for another attempt at a Joe and Pat's pizza, but might try Peter's formulation for a Mack's pizza.  At Reply 2102 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg442769#msg442769  It can be seen that a Mack's pizza is very thin like a Joe and Pat's pizza.  I think Joe and Pat's pizza is a little bit thinner than a Mack's pizza though. The crust isn't as crispy though, but would think it would be if baked longer.  Mack's uses those metal decks too.  The whole flavor profile is a lot different for a Mack's pizza, but then they use a thicker sauce, shred the cheddar, and use more things in their sauce.  Of course using the spiral method of applying the sauce also give a different flavor profile.

Mack's dough can be tossed and twirled like the man at Joe and Pat's did for me at the other visit to Joe & Pat's at Reply 1 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45716.msg458188#msg458188 

I tasted a little bit of Joe & Pat's sauce this morning and now there is some kind of fat in the sauce.  It can be tasted and seen.  I have no idea what kind of fat Joe and Pat's adds to their sauce.  I will try to reheat some of Joe & Pat's sauce either later tonight or tomorrow.  I didn't notice the fat before.  Wonder why that just showed up today when I didn't notice it before.  ???  The fat is slippery on my tongue when tasted, so that is what makes me think it is fat.  Any other ideas if it could be something else.  It didn't really have any taste.

Norma

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2016, 09:48:49 AM »
Ryan,

Yes, Joe and Pat's does use a lot of pepperoni.  Your idea to use the 55% hydration and 3% oil sounds good.  Was the dough strong enough to toss and twirl the last time you tried your dough at Reply 23 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45716.msg458365#msg458365 

I am not sure what formulation to try for another attempt at a Joe and Pat's pizza, but might try Peter's formulation for a Mack's pizza.  At Reply 2102 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg442769#msg442769  It can be seen that a Mack's pizza is very thin like a Joe and Pat's pizza.  I think Joe and Pat's pizza is a little bit thinner than a Mack's pizza though. The crust isn't as crispy though, but would think it would be if baked longer.  Mack's uses those metal decks too.  The whole flavor profile is a lot different for a Mack's pizza, but then they use a thicker sauce, shred the cheddar, and use more things in their sauce.  Of course using the spiral method of applying the sauce also give a different flavor profile.

Mack's dough can be tossed and twirled like the man at Joe and Pat's did for me at the other visit to Joe & Pat's at Reply 1 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45716.msg458188#msg458188 

I tasted a little bit of Joe & Pat's sauce this morning and now there is some kind of fat in the sauce.  It can be tasted and seen.  I have no idea what kind of fat Joe and Pat's adds to their sauce.  I will try to reheat some of Joe & Pat's sauce either later tonight or tomorrow.  I didn't notice the fat before.  Wonder why that just showed up today when I didn't notice it before.  ???  The fat is slippery on my tongue when tasted, so that is what makes me think it is fat.  Any other ideas if it could be something else.  It didn't really have any taste.

Norma

Yes, it was toss able. It opened very evenly, but took a bit of effort to open. Especially to that size. Which one is crispier, Mack's or Joe & Pat's? Steel Rotoflex vs steel Fish oven?

Harry gave me some tips on opening their dough, I think I will increase hydration from 52 to 55 or so. The 52% dough I did in the food processor. It does a good job at incorporating low hydration doughs like that. Good info on the sauce - is there a noticeable oregano flavor? Does the tomato taste fresh or more rich and savory? my tasters love the crunch so this is a good style to work on.

Merry Christmas Norma!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
Yes, it was toss able. It opened very evenly, but took a bit of effort to open. Especially to that size. Which one is crispier, Mack's or Joe & Pat's? Steel Rotoflex vs steel Fish oven?

Harry gave me some tips on opening their dough, I think I will increase hydration from 52 to 55 or so. The 52% dough I did in the food processor. It does a good job at incorporating low hydration doughs like that. Good info on the sauce - is there a noticeable oregano flavor? Does the tomato taste fresh or more rich and savory? my tasters love the crunch so this is a good style to work on.

Merry Christmas Norma!

Ryan,

Great to hear your dough was toss-able, and opened very evenly.  Even if it took a bit of effort to open that sounds good.

Joe and Pat's pizzas are a lot crisper than Mack's.  Yes, Mack's uses the steel deck Rotoflex oven and Joe and Pat's uses the steel deck Fish ovens.

Thanks for telling us that Harry gave you some tips on opening the dough.  Let us know with photos (if you can), if you decide to try out your new formulation.

I have to taste the sauce again later.  If I recall right the sauce might taste like the Alta Cucina's.  I have to get a can of the Alta Cucina's to taste again.  No, no noticeable taste of oregano so far.  The tomato sauce tastes very fresh. 

Glad to hear you tasters love the crunch.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Norma

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2016, 10:47:44 AM »
Norma,

Sounds spot on with what Harry told me about the sauce. He also said Alta Cucina's, milled, with minimal seasoning.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »
Norma: Those skins look like a pile of tortillas :)  I see a docker above them.  Do they use that on each skin?  Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »
Norma,

Sounds spot on with what Harry told me about the sauce. He also said Alta Cucina's, milled, with minimal seasoning.

Ryan,

I don't know how correct Harry is about the sauce now.

Just a little while ago the sauce was taken outside, after I got home from my Mom's.  The sun is almost setting so the photos aren't the best. 

There seems to be a lot more going on in the sauce than I originally thought.  It can be seen how the fat is around the edges of the plastic container.  What the twirly thing is in the sauce I sure don't know.  ??? It did taste something like a meat.  On my one finger it can be seen what it looked like after it was chewed a bit.  :-X The last two photos is something else that is in the sauce.  I wonder if that is a meat of some kind.  Black pepper can also be seen.  I ate a little more and when all together it still tastes very fresh.  I never would have believed that this was the same sauce that was on my pizza and slices.  I will try to eat the slices later on tonight. 

Anyone have other ideas of what is going on in the sauce and why the sauce changed so much since I got it?

I can now understand how hard it is to try and clone someones sauce.  :-D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2016, 04:54:31 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2016, 05:01:03 PM »
Norma: Those skins look like a pile of tortillas :)  I see a docker above them.  Do they use that on each skin?  Walter

Walter,

You are right that those skins look like a pile of tortillas.   :-D  Good eye that you picked up that dough docker.   8)  I did not see them use the dough docker at all, but things were moving so fast that they could have.  I also wondered while I was waiting about maybe there being more than one dough in those metal containers.  The reason I say that is because one man came from the back and picked up about 12 containers while I was there and took them back somewhere.  I guess to be washed.  As fast as those pies were going in and out of the oven I would think there would be more containers sitting out front.

Norma

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2016, 10:41:51 PM »
if you look at the first picture the clock says around 6pm
Joe and Pats has at least 20-50 doughs waiting to be made about that time.
As I said before they make hundreds of pizzas each nite and maybe more on Friday and Sat nites.
I have never tasted any sauce like theirs ever.
People for years tired to copy it but as of now nobody has.......JT

HarryHaller73

« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2016, 11:15:59 PM »

Anyone have other ideas of what is going on in the sauce and why the sauce changed so much since I got it?

I can now understand how hard it is to try and clone someones sauce.  :-D

Norma

Those long random "thingies" are probably strands and clumps of cheese.   I also see powdered romano in there.  If you take cheese and put them in tomato and chill it, they might take on hydration and plump up.  those thingies could also be some kind of mozzarella grates.  Just a guess...  I doubt they put meat in their pizza sauces.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:40:34 PM by HarryHaller73 »

HarryHaller73

« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2016, 11:28:26 PM »
Some of the photos from Joe and Pat's Pizza.

Norma

it's interesting to see the guy doubling dough skins and pressing it.  Someone here mentioned that it was a multi step process to stretch dough.  Maybe they take 2 smaller dough skins and "laminate" them?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:43:26 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2016, 06:33:20 AM »
if you look at the first picture the clock says around 6pm
Joe and Pats has at least 20-50 doughs waiting to be made about that time.
As I said before they make hundreds of pizzas each nite and maybe more on Friday and Sat nites.
I have never tasted any sauce like theirs ever.
People for years tired to copy it but as of now nobody has.......JT

johnnytuinals,

I saw in about a 15 minute time how many pizzas they were cranking out.   :o

Did you ever save some of their sauce for a couple of days to see if it changed? 

I reheated the two slices last night and they didn't taste anything like they did when they were fresh.  I did see a piece of what looked like fresh basil in the one slice though. I took some photos but don't have time to post them now. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2016, 06:39:28 AM »
Those long random "thingies" are probably strands and clumps of cheese.   I also see powdered romano in there.  If you take cheese and put them in tomato and chill it, they might take on hydration and plump up.  those thingies could also be some kind of mozzarella grates.  Just a guess...  I doubt they put meat in their pizza sauces.

HarryHaller73,

They thingies might be stands and clumps of cheese, but they had more of the texture of meat when eaten.  I made some roasted tomatoes at market yesterday and for some reason the hard cheese didn't melt.  I will post about that later on the roasted tomatoes thread. When tasting the roasted tomatoes yesterday that hard cheese did melt in my mouth when eaten.

When I find time I am going to try to strain out anything that was in the sauce.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2016, 06:43:46 AM »
In the 5th and 6th photos at Reply 100 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45716.msg462046#msg462046  if those photos are blown up, it can be seen there is a sheet tray of dough with a dough scraper in the dough.  Some of the doughs are divided.  I wonder what those doughs are for.  I think I might have another photo on my cell that shows that better.

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »
This thread is so interesting...and I see heads down to Central NJ, too..JPB territory. Thinking a trip to Papa's is in order very soon..never been, and it's close by.

JKB, LOL at your note in Reply 10..just saw it  :-D

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2016, 01:12:06 PM »
johnnytuinals,

I saw in about a 15 minute time how many pizzas they were cranking out.   :o

Did you ever save some of their sauce for a couple of days to see if it changed? 

I reheated the two slices last night and they didn't taste anything like they did when they were fresh.  I did see a piece of what looked like fresh basil in the one slice though. I took some photos but don't have time to post them now. 

Norma

Whenever I go pass Joe and Pats I always end up buying a few large cups of their pizza sauce and I bag them in little baggies to freeze...
The sauce taste great when you unfreeze it and use it on your own pie.
I like how they have all those doughs ready to make on the side from the pictures.
Seems that most places don't stack their doughs on top of one another since most don't do as well in business as joe and pats...JT

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2016, 08:46:14 PM »

Whenever I go pass Joe and Pats I always end up buying a few large cups of their pizza sauce and I bag them in little baggies to freeze...
The sauce taste great when you unfreeze it and use it on your own pie.
I like how they have all those doughs ready to make on the side from the pictures.
Seems that most places don't stack their doughs on top of one another since most don't do as well in business as joe and pats...JT

johnnytuinals

I should have asked for a few large cups of their sauce.  I just asked for some extra sauce for dipping.  Did you see where they get the sauce from?  I saw right under the diced cheese that there is a big stainless steel bucket with sauce in. 

I am not to sure why they stack their doughs.  I found out today, that the one dough I tried became drier until I dressed and baked one attempt.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2016, 08:53:48 PM »
I made another attempt at a Joe and Pat's pizza today.  I didn't have any plum tomatoes to try.  I used a different formulation, and the results were good.  I guess the TF wasn't exactly right, but the bottom of the pie was crispy and tasted very good. I used the Vermont Smoked Pepperoni today.  Two doughs were pounded on at the same time.  The second attempt also turned out well, but no photos were taken of the second attempt.  I added some powdered Romano and some hard cheese part of the way though the bake

Norma.