A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joe & Pat's Pizzeria, Staten Island  (Read 22956 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Joe & Pat's Pizzeria, Staten Island
« Reply #220 on: April 10, 2017, 08:26:47 AM »
Could be.  I really think it's a combination of oven, lower temp approx 500F and the dough formulation.  The rotating Fish oven in itself is similar to convection as it is moving through air.  I think dough is compensated with more oil than avg, to get it that thin and have that texture.  Otherwise at 9-10 minutes it would dry and get too crunchy.

Thanks for your thoughts Harry!  I am not sure if the pizzas really take 9-10 minutes to bake.  I did link somewhere else on this thread that someone else said the bake times were between 6-8 minutes.  I sure didn't time the bakes so I have no idea what is right.

Norma

HarryHaller73

« Reply #221 on: April 11, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »
That's why I didn't like yesterday's attempt, dried out and became too crunchy. I might try like 55% water + 4% oil. If I recall correctly, Peter's formula for Mack's had 5% oil which is also very thin and baked on steel (Rotoflex) at around 500F too.

I just used Muir Glen, I didn't have any Stanislaus products on hand. I might try and order some 28 oz 6 in 1's since I'm really not using much tomato product per pizza. Are you freezing your leftover sauces or tossing them?

Since I only bake pizzas about once a month, and do 3-4 pies, I'll use whatever I can and then bathe my dogs with the leftover.  I can get a #10 can of 711 for $4-$5. 

HarryHaller73

« Reply #222 on: April 11, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts Harry!  I am not sure if the pizzas really take 9-10 minutes to bake.  I did link somewhere else on this thread that someone else said the bake times were between 6-8 minutes.  I sure didn't time the bakes so I have no idea what is right.

Norma

You might be right on the timing, especially with the "convection" action of the rotating platforms.   It seems this also helps to bake it through faster without drying out the innards and getting some char on the rim without torching the rest of the pie.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2017, 09:38:52 PM »
Took another go at a Joe & Pat's style.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2017, 10:15:25 PM »
Ryan,

Looks good!  How did it taste?

Norma

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2017, 11:19:23 PM »
Ryan,

Looks good!  How did it taste?

Norma

My tasters loved this one. I should make this style more often, but I forget about it. I used a cheese slicer to cut even slabs off the mozzarella loaf and then cubed them. I think this is my best Joe & Pat's melt yet. Went fairly heavy on the sauce which I think was needed to prevent it all from evaporating into nothing during the bake. I hate when there's no sauce on a pie and it's just a red stain. Sauce was generic undrained 28 oz can of whole peeled "San Marzano" with basil + 2 oz tomato paste. Salt, sugar, EVOO, little black pepper, a few fresh basil leaves, and a clove of garlic. Romano and oregano when dressing the pie. Not sure if Joe & Pat's actually uses garlic or oregano in their sauce, but the other stuff seems plausible. I might leave those two ingredients out next time to see how it tastes with more of a intense tomato flavor.

Baked for 8 minutes @ 550 on the highest rack.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2017, 07:43:49 AM »
My tasters loved this one. I should make this style more often, but I forget about it. I used a cheese slicer to cut even slabs off the mozzarella loaf and then cubed them. I think this is my best Joe & Pat's melt yet. Went fairly heavy on the sauce which I think was needed to prevent it all from evaporating into nothing during the bake. I hate when there's no sauce on a pie and it's just a red stain. Sauce was generic undrained 28 oz can of whole peeled "San Marzano" with basil + 2 oz tomato paste. Salt, sugar, EVOO, little black pepper, a few fresh basil leaves, and a clove of garlic. Romano and oregano when dressing the pie. Not sure if Joe & Pat's actually uses garlic or oregano in their sauce, but the other stuff seems plausible. I might leave those two ingredients out next time to see how it tastes with more of a intense tomato flavor.

Baked for 8 minutes @ 550 on the highest rack.

Ryan,

Glad to hear your tasters loved your Joe & Pat's pizza.  :pizza: Thanks for telling what you used to sliced your mozzarella loaf and what you did with you sauce.  I can't even remember exactly what a Joe and Pat's pizza tastes like anymore, but really did like it.

Did you have any problems getting the skin even and so thin?

Good luck when you make your next Joe and Pat's pizza. 

Norma

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2017, 06:49:36 PM »
Ryan,

Glad to hear your tasters loved your Joe & Pat's pizza.  :pizza: Thanks for telling what you used to sliced your mozzarella loaf and what you did with you sauce.  I can't even remember exactly what a Joe and Pat's pizza tastes like anymore, but really did like it.

Did you have any problems getting the skin even and so thin?

Good luck when you make your next Joe and Pat's pizza. 

Norma

Thanks Norma!  :)
I pressed it out to about 12 inches, then let it sit and came back to it. I was thinking of your video with the partially opened skins. Seemed to make it easier to open. I used a 55% hydration.

I just watched this video, and it shows a good angle of a pie being sauced and topped

Sauce looks like whole peeled (can see seeds, I thought it was milled from other pictures I had seen, but they must just hit it with a stick blender) + a good amount of oil (olive I assume? Pie looks very glossy, and this would add richness to make up for the lack of cheese; plus, the family is from Naples.
And I'd love to hear other opinions on this but the basil looks dark and there's not much of it, so I'd assume this is the same basil used during the canning and not actually added in the shop?
Some photos show dark specs which I assumed were black pepper or crushed red pepper, but it might just be smaller pieces of basil turned even darker after the bake.
Romano looks to be not in the sauce, but added while putting on the cheese. Mozz is not perfectly cut, sizes are different which gives you the unique melt.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #228 on: September 18, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »
Thanks Norma!  :)
I pressed it out to about 12 inches, then let it sit and came back to it. I was thinking of your video with the partially opened skins. Seemed to make it easier to open. I used a 55% hydration.

I just watched this video, and it shows a good angle of a pie being sauced and topped

Sauce looks like whole peeled (can see seeds, I thought it was milled from other pictures I had seen, but they must just hit it with a stick blender) + a good amount of oil (olive I assume? Pie looks very glossy, and this would add richness to make up for the lack of cheese; plus, the family is from Naples.
And I'd love to hear other opinions on this but the basil looks dark and there's not much of it, so I'd assume this is the same basil used during the canning and not actually added in the shop?
Some photos show dark specs which I assumed were black pepper or crushed red pepper, but it might just be smaller pieces of basil turned even darker after the bake.
Romano looks to be not in the sauce, but added while putting on the cheese. Mozz is not perfectly cut, sizes are different which gives you the unique melt.

Ryan,

Thanks for telling us what you did to open the skin.  That is a great video you referenced!  Not sure of the basil, but would think from it being darker it would be from a canned product.  I didn't see or taste any pepper in the sauce, but could be wrong about that. 

Norma

Offline djdvda

• instagram!
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »
Hi all.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I lived in SI for most of my life, and think that I can offer a bit of insight:

Joe & Pat's uses a Pillsbury flour. I have seen it wheeled in on several occasions.

They are currently in the process of opening another location on 1st Avenue in Manhattan. Open house for employment applications was held 2 weeks ago, so they will likely be open in the very near future.

Cheers!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #230 on: October 23, 2017, 05:41:15 PM »
Hi all.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I lived in SI for most of my life, and think that I can offer a bit of insight:

Joe & Pat's uses a Pillsbury flour. I have seen it wheeled in on several occasions.

They are currently in the process of opening another location on 1st Avenue in Manhattan. Open house for employment applications was held 2 weeks ago, so they will likely be open in the very near future.

Cheers!

djdvda,

Thanks for the tip about the Pillsbury flour.  Did you note which Pillsbury flour it is?

Norma

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #231 on: October 30, 2017, 12:00:05 AM »
I am sure most have tried to make a Joe and Pats pizza.(if yea from the area}
Yes many look like a Joe and Pats pizza(but who knows what it taste like?}
I remember in the 70s they used blocks of PollyO cheese.
I have narrowed it down to their Cheese and Dough but to make it taste like the real deal is the Sauce.
That I have not been able to do.
So I have given up on Blocks of Cheese and gone back to shredded cheese and
have given up as of now to make  a Joe and Pats pizza but maybe I will try again...................JT

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #232 on: November 06, 2017, 06:31:08 AM »

Rubirosa is run by the son of Joe and Pat's.  That dough is sure thin in the first part of the video when it is pressed out.

https://www.rubirosanyc.com/#about 

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #233 on: November 06, 2017, 04:08:43 PM »
Norma,

Great video (I also love this guy's video on Biang Biang noodles, another NYC institution.)

I think a common misconception about Rubirosa is that it is thin. It's slightly thinner in the center than say, a Joe's pie, but It's the even stretch from edge to edge that I think throws people off.

Judging by the video and the dough ball I got from them, hydration is no more than 60% and likely a same day dough - it's very well proofed, but the dough isn't sticky. And judging by how it takes them a while to stretch it out, leads me to believe it's fresh as well.

Anyone have an estimated thickness factor or doughball weight?

Rubirosa is run by the son of Joe and Pat's.  That dough is sure thin in the first part of the video when it is pressed out.

https://www.rubirosanyc.com/#about 

Norma

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #234 on: November 06, 2017, 04:37:35 PM »
Norma,

Great video (I also love this guy's video on Biang Biang noodles, another NYC institution.)

I had my Ns1 today!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #235 on: November 06, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »
Norma,

I think a common misconception about Rubirosa is that it is thin. It's slightly thinner in the center than say, a Joe's pie, but It's the even stretch from edge to edge that I think throws people off.

Judging by the video and the dough ball I got from them, hydration is no more than 60% and likely a same day dough - it's very well proofed, but the dough isn't sticky. And judging by how it takes them a while to stretch it out, leads me to believe it's fresh as well.

Anyone have an estimated thickness factor or doughball weight?

Lou,

Never heard of Biang Biang noodles but will watch his video about them.

I thought the pie and slices I had at Joe and Pat's was very thin.  Might not be right about that though.  What was the weight of the dough ball you got from Joe and Pat's? 

Norma

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #236 on: November 06, 2017, 06:09:06 PM »
I also love this guy's video on Biang Biang noodles, another NYC institution.

Would they traditionally be made with kansui?
John

HarryHaller73

« Reply #237 on: November 07, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »
Lou,

Never heard of Biang Biang noodles but will watch his video about them.

I thought the pie and slices I had at Joe and Pat's was very thin.  Might not be right about that though.  What was the weight of the dough ball you got from Joe and Pat's? 

Norma

Definitely thinner than a standard NY slice.  But looks can be deceiving, Joe and Pat's is still a foldable slice and still has bite and nothing like Chicago thin or NJ bar pies.  Also, all that pounding will compact the crumb but it's texture has some chew.  One can make 2 pies look equally thin, but depending on fermentation, flour, hydration, opening method, will lead to very different experience.

I use a TF of 0.075 for Joe and Pat's style.  0.092 for standard NY slice.  May seem alot, but end product has alot to do with the process.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:07:52 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2017, 08:14:30 PM »
Definitely thinner than a standard NY slice.  But looks can be deceiving, Joe and Pat's is still a foldable slice and still has bite and nothing like Chicago thin or NJ bar pies.  Also, all that pounding will compact the crumb but it's texture has some chew.  One can make 2 pies look equally thin, but depending on fermentation, flour, hydration, opening method, will lead to very different experience.

I use a TF of 0.075 for Joe and Pat's style.  0.092 for standard NY slice.  May seem alot, but end product has alot to do with the process.

Thanks Harry!

Norma

HarryHaller73

« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
Thanks Harry!

Norma

NP Norma, I hope you are well. 

wordpress