A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Long Live the Blackstone..How to Keep them Turning and Burning  (Read 18130 times)

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
Re: Long Live the Blackstone..How to Keep them Turning and Burning
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2021, 09:01:29 PM »
With Jon on the dial therm.  If the probe went into the cooking chamber, it would at least measure the temp there. Instead, it is measuring the temp in the space above the cooking chamber, the upper stone, and the aluminum pan on top of the stone.  Jon is probably right, they installed it because it looked good there.  For the IR,  just get in the habit of aiming the gun at the same spot each time, because as the stone rotates, the temp changes quite a bit - and of course, the best thing to do is experiment with your dough to see the best temp for loading. Welcome to the club. 

As to the stone,  mine just cracked in two a few months ago, I still use it.  I tried a thicker 16 inch ,  but didn't like it as much.   The original stone heats up pretty quick and that is one of the advantages of the oven.   

The price is a steal.  I know the prices were discounted when it was discontinued, but when you stack it up against the competition, it is hard to find something that competes with it in the $500 to $600,  even if you don't count the rotating stone.

I have no experience with the version 2 bearing, but doubt extra weight would be an issue.  I would just check to make sure it was rotating smoothly.   If you are going to keep it outside, a cover would be a good thing.  I never put on the side shelves, so finding a generic cover was pretty easy for me. 

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2021, 10:36:48 AM »
Love the oven; puzzled by Blackstone. Just got the cover I ordered from Blackstone. Can't get it to stretch to cover both side tables. (Need a come along maybe?) The other frustrating item is the igniter. The lead from the ceramic end is so short that it could never have reached the blade on the igniter body. This igniter could never have been operable. Try finding a male and female connector to make an extension. I don't think the male part exists in Miami. And then you would need to buy a pack of 50 of each anyway.
Does the cover stretch eventually?
Should have had my second cup of coffee before I hit the post button. Just went out there realizing the the elastic band should go under the table before covering it.
The igniter problem stands.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 10:43:00 AM by gdepozsgay »
George

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2021, 08:02:02 PM »
First bake on the Blackstone. 68% hydration dough.
I'm happy with how it works though I may need to tweak my technique. I like more color on the cornice and with a 12" pie, the edges of the pie centered on the stone do not get the direct heat a larger pie would. Bake time was about 7-8 min. A bit longer than I expected.
George

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2021, 08:07:21 PM »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #244 on: May 22, 2021, 08:09:02 AM »
The Dylan Shuffle is another good technique.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28721.msg359795;topicseen#msg359795

Did you get the ignitor sorted out? I read your post on my phone when I wasn't home and forgot to look at my ignitor wiring.

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #245 on: May 22, 2021, 09:04:04 AM »
The Dylan Shuffle is another good technique.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28721.msg359795;topicseen#msg359795

Did you get the ignitor sorted out? I read your post on my phone when I wasn't home and forgot to look at my ignitor wiring.
I actually did move the pie closer to the heat throughout the bake but obviously not with the same result as shown in the video. No I have not resolved the igniter issue. Maybe some day, some where I'll find the right connectors and try again. Not a big deal starting with a lighter so I'm not put out too much. I did send message to Blackstone but have not heard back. Not holding my breath for that either.
George

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #246 on: May 22, 2021, 09:44:40 AM »
I actually did move the pie closer to the heat throughout the bake but obviously not with the same result as shown in the video. No I have not resolved the igniter issue. Maybe some day, some where I'll find the right connectors and try again. Not a big deal starting with a lighter so I'm not put out too much. I did send message to Blackstone but have not heard back. Not holding my breath for that either.
I am 95% sure Dylan also had a Chauflector in there too.

I cant really see my ignitor without taking the Blackstone I have in my garage apart. I thought it was just two wires from the button to the ignitor. Not certain what the issue is, maybe peeling back some wire and a splice/soldering would do the trick. There are also similar lighters for gas grills. That could be worth looking into. But a stick lighter is probably the easiest fix.

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #247 on: May 22, 2021, 11:50:14 AM »
A chauflector may help with your issue of browning when making a smaller pie.  https://sites.google.com/site/blackstonepizzaoven/blackstone-pizza-oven-faq/chauflector-----increasing-browning-of-rim?authuser=0
I see the diagram for the chauflector but there are no dimensions given. I assume the width is enough to span the right side of the shield. Should the length reach to the middle of the stone or just before the middle with the fingers pointing toward the middle?
George

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2021, 12:20:31 PM »
I see the diagram for the chauflector but there are no dimensions given.

If I remember correctly it's a full-sized PDF for 8.5" x 11" paper. Just print it, cut it out and trace to a piece of metal. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2021, 12:23:36 PM »
For mine, I bought a stainless steel bbq spatula at the Christmas Tree Shop, broke the wood handle off, bent it a little more and then used the weight of the top stone to hold it in place. I'd take a picture, but that Blackstone is at my brother in laws.

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2021, 12:23:49 PM »
If I remember correctly it's a full-sized PDF for 8.5" x 11" paper. Just print it, cut it out and trace to a piece of metal. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim
Thanks Jim.
George
George

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2021, 12:28:15 PM »
I see the diagram for the chauflector but there are no dimensions given. I assume the width is enough to span the right side of the shield. Should the length reach to the middle of the stone or just before the middle with the fingers pointing toward the middle?

I cannibalized a cheep cheese grater from the Dollar Tree.  It worked grate  :-D
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2021, 08:13:45 PM »
Chauflactor definitely works. The stone heats up quicker and top of pie gets done without bottom burning. These three pies (down to the small desert pie) came out great. Did have to manipulate the flame intensity during the bake but each pie was done within 90 minutes. (This dough did have some whole wheat in it so the top browning is somewhat enhanced in appearance.) Do need to tweak the controls some but I feel like I'm on a good path.
BTW, I am amazed the difference in flame intensity when the tank is full versus 1/3rd.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 09:10:06 AM by gdepozsgay »
George

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2021, 08:59:12 AM »
Nice looking.  As to fullness of the tank,  for me i don't see as much difference and sometimes shaking it a few times helps,  though a cold tank produces a  much lower flame

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #254 on: Today at 04:28:07 AM »
Have a question for Barry or anyone else that knows about rotisserie motors.  Was cleaning up the Blackstone and thinking of selling it, if it still worked.  Did clean up the Blackstone, after finding a mud wasp nest, and having problems with wasps for awhile. Then tried the One Grill 40 motor.  It wouldn't turn on so gave it a some shots of WD-40 where it fits to turn the platter.  Let it sit for a few hours, and still nothing. Tried to take it apart to see what might be wrong, or if rollers might be bad.  Wonder how I can get this apart.  Photos will follow in next post, cause they will be from cell phone.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #255 on: Today at 04:29:58 AM »
Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #256 on: Today at 05:14:52 AM »
It's a little tricky but I recall the screws come out and case is pried open with thin screwdriver to get to motor inside...the seller on Amazon does..or did..provide phone support.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #257 on: Today at 08:00:30 AM »
It's a little tricky but I recall the screws come out and case is pried open with thin screwdriver to get to motor inside...the seller on Amazon does..or did..provide phone support.

Bill,

I purchased the One Grill motor, from (Tampa) Dave's advice at Reply 552 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg314883#msg314883 and his link to where he purchased it at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26507.msg293152#msg293152  When that link is clicked on it doesn't appear like it is the exact one I purchased.  Did they since change the model number, watt and torque?  Couldn't find my exact model on Amazon. 

I will have to try to find a really thin screwdriver that has a longer handle than the one I tried.  I have many screwdrivers at many places.   :-D

Norma

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #258 on: Today at 08:02:54 AM »
Norma,  I have taken apart a few of them.  As  J P B says, you remove the screws, and the case just pries apart.  In terms of trouble shooting, if you are using an adaptor, that is the first thing to check - assuming you have Volt Meter.  A recent one I looked at, the adapter was not putting out any juice.  If you have juice,  once you get the case apart you will see a bunch of gears , though there may be a steel plate on top. Try to push any one of them by hand just to see if you can get some rotation, if so, go back and forth a few times  ( without the power connected of course )  Usually what happens is that the grease hardens over time on one or more of the gears making it hard to turn, and spraying them with WD40  ( over some newspaper to catch the mess ) can help clean off the old grease.  The last one I had would hum, but not turn at all.  When I opened it up, where the main drive  (  the square hole where the key goes in that drives the platter ) had a thin film of grease that had dried on the underside of the steel plate that was held in place by the 3 screws in the second photo.  I took off the plate and used a rag to get the grease off, then sprayed the rest of the gears with some silicone sprayed and it worked fine.

BTW,  I just took those photos -  when I first took it apart there was a gray sludge on the gears, and while it looks dirty in the photo below, it is working fine.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:05:30 AM by barryvabeach »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #259 on: Today at 08:53:01 AM »
Barry,

I did remove the screws, just have to pry the case apart.  I don't have a Volt Meter, or if there is one, sure don't know where it is.  Might have gotten one from my father at one time.  Think I have one just for batteries.  I will try to follow your advice on what to look for and what to do.  Yesterday I was washing down the Blackstone, sanding, and had the hose on.  Forgot the extension plug for the fan was on the patio.  Must have gotten wet somehow and when I took the plug out for the fan and put the motor plug in got shocked.  Lol  I will be more careful this time. 

Will print out your instructions.  Thanks so much, and for the photos too!  Big help!!

Norma