Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by mendozer on 08 Apr 2020
  • I've always been a fan of Caputo's blue 00. Lately I've been trying to find domestic equivalents.

Grain Craft makes a handful of flour lines formulated for Napoletana pizzas. They list their Blendako (bleached), Upright(unbleached) and new Neopolitan Pizzeria Blend (unbleached). They also have a Special Pizza Blend (bleached) which isn't for Neo pizzas per their website but states its good for pizza. I cannot for the life of me find Upright or NPB anywhere. But I picked up a bag of SPB yesterday from Smart Foodservice. did our Tony G "Saturday Pizza" recipe and it actually cooked very well. I do about 800 on the stone before I toss a pie in the oven and it charred quite well with great spotting. The crust also seemed to be chewier than Caputo, but some areas almost gummy, but still not raw. Caputo is nice and chewy but by the time everything gets cooked, it can sometimes be dried out in parts.

I'm wondering for my next batch to lower cooking temps to 700 or so and allow longer times. The protein levels are a couple % higher in the SPB, perhaps lending to the gumminess as there is more gluten. All in all we liked the texture more, but it lacked the "pizza flavor" we've come to love from italian wheat.

Anyone else found a good USA flour? Also, $15 for 42 lb bag isn't too shabby instead of the $40ish dollars for the Caputo bag when you can find it.
  • #2 by amolapizza on 08 Apr 2020
  • An observation, you might need to change hydration slightly when changing flour.
  • #3 by TXCraig1 on 08 Apr 2020
  • Interestingly, I've only tried one flour that I felt like required a significant change in hydration from my normal 62%. It was 5Stagioni Nepolatana. I thought it required a few extra points.
  • #4 by ccgus on 08 Apr 2020
  • You might grab a bag of Shepherd's Grain High Gluten next time you're at Smart Foodservice. I've been using it for years as a replacement for Caputo, and it works great (I use a hydration between 67-70% depending on the bag).

And it's cheap as well.

I've also used Central Milling's reinforced 00 in the past, and it was great- but the shipping charges were getting to be a bit much for me.
  • #5 by Bikdave on 27 Nov 2020
  • I found out a couple weeks ago that Smart Foodservice now carries the Grain Craft Neapolitan Pizza Flour. On their website they don’t have grain craft listed in the title so search for Neapolitan. It’s a special order item at my store but I called up and was easily able to get it in a couple days. I haven’t tried it yet though. Thought I’d pass along.
  • #6 by nestopesto on 30 Nov 2020
  • While I havent done a side by side, I really like Central Millings 00 Flour.  Also Cairnspring Mills flour is excellent.  Definitely not a neopolitan style because its much more whole wheat, but its delicious.  I've been playing around with a bunch of USA based organic flours and those are my two favorites.
  • #7 by parallei on 30 Nov 2020
  • - Gold Medal™ Neapolitan Pizza Flour Hearth Style

- Bay City Milling Contadino Neapolitan Style Pizza Flour

- Gold Medal™ ORGANIC ALL PURPOSE FLOUR (it is not malted)

I've used all of them at high temps and have been happy with the results. The again, I'm not that persnickety!
  • #8 by corkd on 01 Dec 2020
  • I’ve used Arrowhead mills AP with success. Organic, and unmalted. It’s been recommended elsewhere on the site. Also Gold Medal NP as already mentioned- just had to work through a large bag, not available in retail 5-10 lb size
  • #9 by thezaman on 02 Dec 2020
  • General Mills has a 00 pizza flour. they use the harvest king flour with no additives.i think it is ground a little finer then normal HK. they just renamed it and pack it in a 27.5 pound bag. they did this so saputo flor users would not have to change their dough making methods. each bag is half of the saputo 25 kilo bag.Di Prim Ordine Farina.
  • #10 by ramsker on 19 Jan 2021
  • General Mills has a 00 pizza flour. they use the harvest king flour with no additives.i think it is ground a little finer then normal HK. they just renamed it and pack it in a 27.5 pound bag. they did this so saputo flor users would not have to change their dough making methods. each bag is half of the saputo 25 kilo bag.Di Prim Ordine Farina.

Just found a place in Omaha that carries this, and I picked up a bag. This will be my first 00 Flour. I've been using All-Trumps in my Ooni up to this point. Do you have any experience with it? Any tips? Appreciate it.
  • #11 by TXCraig1 on 08 Feb 2021
  • I haven't tried the GM Di Prim’Ordine, however the GM Neapolitan performs all but identically to Caputo Pizzeria, IMO.
  • #12 by The Sanity Cruzer on 25 Mar 2021
  • I've always been a fan of Caputo's blue 00. Lately I've been trying to find domestic equivalents.

Grain Craft makes a handful of flour lines formulated for Napoletana pizzas. They list their Blendako (bleached), Upright(unbleached) and new Neopolitan Pizzeria Blend (unbleached). They also have a Special Pizza Blend (bleached) which isn't for Neo pizzas per their website but states its good for pizza. I cannot for the life of me find Upright or NPB anywhere.

Try US Foods CHEF'STORE.  They have 4 stores in Seattle.  They're mostly a West Coast company, but they do have some stores in Texas and the Carolinas.  They carry the Neapolitan Pizzeria Blend (00 flour).  In San Jose, CA (the closest store to me), a 25 pound bag cost $10.05.  Will that fit your budget? ;->
    Here is a link to their locations.
    https://www.usfoods.com/why-us-foods/chef-store.html#filterSimpleTags=us-foods:location-types/chef-store[/size][/size][/size]
  • #13 by Elchimi on 02 May 2021
  • I’ve used unmalted High performer from Giustos quite a bit, pretty good flour.
    The local Dawn food supply carries organic unmalted type O flours from Bay state Milling CO such as  Boulder and Columbine.
    Also Bay State Milling sells an American Type OO clone Contadino.
  • #14 by CaptBob on 02 May 2021
  • I actually quite like Grain Craft Neapolitan. It seems it can take a bit more hydration than Caputo Pizzeria.
  • #15 by ccgus on 03 May 2021
  • Last Friday, Shepherd's Grain announced that they have a new 00 type flour: 'Napoletana “00” Pizza Flour'.

Here's what the email said:
    Shepherd’s Grain Napoletana “00” Flour pairs regenerative agriculture with a world-class Neapolitan-style pizza flour made from specific wheat varieties known for their quality and flavor. Finely milled to meet the low-ash specs typical of Neapolitan-style flours, Shepherd’s Grain Napoletana “00” has the gluten strength and quality to create a soft and chewy crust on the inside, with a crispy and eye-appealing cornicione. Napoletana “00” will satisfy the discerning pizzaiolo, specifically designed for wood fired Naples style pizzas. Yet, this flour is versatile and works well in applications requiring gluten strength with easy-to-handle dough.

The pizza flour tested very favorably with a variety of pizzaiolos. They gave us the thumbs up and said it really competes with Caputo. The cost will be less as our pizza flour will have a much lower carbon footprint.

They have some info on their site, but it's basically what is above:
    https://shepherdsgrain.com/our-products

I hope to be able to grab a bag really soon to try out. And I'll be reporting back as well!
  • #16 by Jersey Pie Boy on 04 May 2021
  • I'll keep an eye out for that...strong 00 would be perfect for me...probably Smart Foods/USA Chef store would carry it
  • #17 by TurkeyOnRye on 04 May 2021
  • Grain Craft makes another excellent variety called Power Flour, which is 13.5% protein. It's quite strong and nice to work with. I did some overnight autolyses to test the flour's hydration potential and found I was able to make ridiculous window panes. Not a 00 flour, but it is very popular for New York and other American style pies. I used All Trumps for awhile and grew to really like it before trying Power Flour. The flavor is a bit more mild than All Trumps, which has a more toasted nut flavor. I'm currently fermenting a batch of dough with Power Flour and a small amount of whole wheat flavor to see what happens.
  • #18 by ccgus on 05 May 2021
  • Last Friday, Shepherd's Grain announced that they have a new 00 type flour: 'Napoletana “00” Pizza Flour'.

So I got my hands on a 50lb bag, and I've got to say it's pretty good!

I made some dough last night and used it for lunch today (I typically try and wait at least 24hrs after making the dough, but I really wanted to try this stuff) and was impressed with the taste and general performance of it. I'll be using it again this weekend and I'll eventually write a longer post on what I think after some more bakes.

I think they are marketing it as a replacement for Caputo, and it probably hits the mark.
Pages:
Actions