A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Best peel I have encountered  (Read 2006 times)

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Best peel I have encountered
« on: January 14, 2021, 02:32:01 PM »
I recently discovered, IMO, the best made peel out there.  https://www.thebakersboard.com/  Larry the owner is a true artisan in craftsmanship and customer service.  Here is my story.  We own Smiling With Hope Pizza in Reno, Nevada, a small mom/pop model that makes NY style pizza.  Growing up in  NJ, 15 minutes outside NYC, in the 1950's-80's pizza was religion.  It was also 90% cheese pies or 1 topping.  Fast forward to a year ago. Opening a pizzeria in the West coast pizza culture a cheese pie is a rare bird.  Multiple toppings are the norm and being in my 60's, making every pie/prep the launching shoulder is starting to bother me.  I was looking for a lighter peel and found Lillsun peels that are made from basswood which is a light weight wood.  I ordered 7 of them.  They came so roughly finished that I had to sand all the surfaces and within a couple weeks 1/2 of them warped, a couple starting separating at the glue joints, and were resembling a taco shell more than a pizza peel.  Multiple emails to the company met with no response.  The good news was they were much lighter than the pine peels we were using. The bad was I was soured on the Lillsun experience and figured I would have to stick with the pine peels.

Then I found Larry's basswood peels and ordered 4.  They are incredible in quality but they were thicker than I thought and asked if he could sand them down to 1" thickness.  He said send them back, he would thin them, and return them on his dime.  He sent them back within a week but they never arrived even though UPS delivered them somewhere and got a signature to boot.   Larry was on it daily with them and sent out replacements before the case was resolved.  Yesterday the original ones arrived in a banged up box but the peels were packed so good there was no damage to them.  I emailed Larry telling him this and said to keep them.  Today the replacement ones arrived via Fed Ex in perfect shape with an extra peel included. 

The quality and finish on these peels are inspiring me to oil them regularly (something I have never done) as they are as much art as peel IMO.  My shoulder is much happier now with these lightweight peels and I now have a great source for them.  I can't say enough about Larry.  In today's world where you are a number, get recorded messages, are directed overseas to operators that you can't understand, he stands tall with the traits that in the past made American made a symbol of highest quality.  Give these peels a try.  You will not be disapointed!  Walter
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
Re: Best peel I have encountered
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 06:48:52 AM »
Waltore,  great story about your background, and nice looking peel.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 12:43:45 PM »
Waltore,  great story about your background, and nice looking peel.

Thanks.  You got to flex with getting old and adaptions  :-D

Offline Whistlenutz

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 07:59:39 PM »
I have to concur with Walter. While I am by no means a professional pizza maker (home enthusiast with some aspirations perhaps), I ordered a peel based on this recommendation. I couldn’t have been more pleased with my purchase.

After placing the order, I decided I wanted additional peel (different size). I emailed and asked if I could add it to my order. The response came very quickly, saying it would be no problem. I went on to the site to place the order for the additional peel, and a few days later my order arrived with the additional peel.

While I cannot speak to the needs of a professional pizzeria, I can say the peels are as attractive as they are functional (for my needs, at least). Even better than the products, though, was the customer service. Not only did he add the peel to my original order without hesitation, the order arrived with a handwritten thank you note - along with $6 to cover the handling of the second order I placed!

If you are looking for a new peel, I would strongly encourage you to consider these.

Best,
Steve

Offline sal951

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 06:07:59 PM »
Just wanted to add my voice to this chorus. Off the recommendation in this thread I ordered one of these about a month and a half ago. It's great, really satisfied with it. Lightweight but sturdy, just feels really great to use. Adding my surname to it makes it a nice addition to my kitchen wall where it hangs between uses. All around excellent.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 09:06:58 PM »
Waltertore, I recently bought an inexpensive wooden peel, also very light. I am happy to support The Bakers Board, and just ordered a new peel. Thank you for the recommendation.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 10:22:08 PM »
Waltertore, I recently bought an inexpensive wooden peel, also very light. I am happy to support The Bakers Board, and just ordered a new peel. Thank you for the recommendation.

Mark

I hope you like it.  Remember I had mine shaved thinner.   Walter

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 05:00:52 PM »
Thanks.  You got to flex with getting old and adaptions  :-D
I was just going to post a question on what to do about a warped lilsun peel....but your answer would probably be “buy one of these”...

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 05:22:46 PM »
I was just going to post a question on what to do about a warped lilsun peel....but your answer would probably be “buy one of these”...

You might try getting it damp, and clamping it to a flat surface for a couple days.
Careful clamping so you don't split it.  Do a little at a time, wait, do a little more, etc.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 06:20:43 PM »

That is how several of mine look.   I soaked them with water, and put lots of weight on top to flatten them.  Left them like that for weeks and they stayed flat until I started using them and they warped right back. 

Offline BradL

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 06:52:20 PM »
Just wanted to add my voice to this chorus. Off the recommendation in this thread I ordered one of these about a month and a half ago. It's great, really satisfied with it. Lightweight but sturdy, just feels really great to use. Adding my surname to it makes it a nice addition to my kitchen wall where it hangs between uses. All around excellent.

Adding me voice in here, too - just purchase a peel from The Baker's Board and is flat-out gorgeous. Thanks for the recommendation.

Offline Pandasbecats

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 12:09:01 AM »
Their cherry peels look to be just what I was looking for. Tempted to ask if they'll place a custom order  :)
Red Pizza Party 70x70
11"x11" Wood Peel
GI Metal Azzurra 8" turning peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline BradL

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 07:18:22 PM »
Cherry peel? That's pretty alluring and I can't imagine them rejecting any custom request out of hand.

So, here's how my experience went with The Baker's Board:  When the peel arrived at my house, I looked it over and thought, yep, it's worth paying a little more for a handcrafted product. I ordered what I thought was a 12-inch peel to fit my portable Maximus; little did I know it was a 14-inch. Seemed a little big ... but I thought, nah, you're imagining things. Got the Maximus going, temp was 900, and I go to put my first pizza in -- the peel won't fit through the door unless I angle it at 30 degrees, which would make the pie slide off. I literally tossed it in and you can imagine the results. My first pizza was a pizza train wreck. Must've been stupidity on my part, mistakenly chose the 14 instead of the 12. I hated to take a jigsaw and cut down (probably badly) such a beautifully crafted piece. I got in touch with The Baker's Board, told them about my stupid mistake, and it took Larry about 2 seconds to say, "No, problem - we'll just send you another one."
Great peels and superb customer service. These folks are a friend to pizza makers.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 10:29:53 PM »
Cherry peel? That's pretty alluring and I can't imagine them rejecting any custom request out of hand.

So, here's how my experience went with The Baker's Board:  When the peel arrived at my house, I looked it over and thought, yep, it's worth paying a little more for a handcrafted product. I ordered what I thought was a 12-inch peel to fit my portable Maximus; little did I know it was a 14-inch. Seemed a little big ... but I thought, nah, you're imagining things. Got the Maximus going, temp was 900, and I go to put my first pizza in -- the peel won't fit through the door unless I angle it at 30 degrees, which would make the pie slide off. I literally tossed it in and you can imagine the results. My first pizza was a pizza train wreck. Must've been stupidity on my part, mistakenly chose the 14 instead of the 12. I hated to take a jigsaw and cut down (probably badly) such a beautifully crafted piece. I got in touch with The Baker's Board, told them about my stupid mistake, and it took Larry about 2 seconds to say, "No, problem - we'll just send you another one."
Great peels and superb customer service. These folks are a friend to pizza makers.

I'm going to order one just because  based on your experience with them.  Not because I need it but because they deserve the business! 

Offline sal951

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 01:10:33 PM »

Yeah, the service of the guy running that place is unquestionably great. Its a reason alone to recommend, always good to reward people who have strong principles.