A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: why feed starter on a schedule?  (Read 694 times)

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
why feed starter on a schedule?
« on: March 05, 2021, 09:15:53 PM »
Hi,

we were away for a couple of months, before we left I fed my starter and threw in into the fridge. Back yesterday, I poured off the hooch, fed it and it looks like it's well on the way to doubling. So why bother with any sort of feeding/discard schedule? Why not just keep it in the fridge until 2 days before baking, feed it a couple of times and bake?

best,

jeff

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: why feed starter on a schedule?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 11:54:35 PM »
I only feed mine day of use. If I wasn't using it for a few weeks I would probably feed it, otherwise no food for you.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 01:04:39 AM »
Mine are in the fridge. It comes out 3 days before

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 07:55:24 AM »
Hi,

we were away for a couple of months, before we left I fed my starter and threw in into the fridge. Back yesterday, I poured off the hooch, fed it and it looks like it's well on the way to doubling. So why bother with any sort of feeding/discard schedule? Why not just keep it in the fridge until 2 days before baking, feed it a couple of times and bake?

best,

That's what I do unless I keep it out when I have a daily need of starter.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 09:54:48 AM »
I've stopped keeping it in the fridge.
I have dried starter in the freezer and it takes about the same time to get it fully active as it does to bring fridge starter back to be full activity.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:51:03 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 12:43:21 PM »
I've stopped keeping it in the fridge.
I have dried started in the freezer and it takes about the same time to get it fully active as it does to bring fridge starter back to be full activity.

that's interesting, I have dried started in our freezer as an emergency backup, have to give that a try.
jeff

Offline ARenko

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 01:28:14 PM »
At first I'd feed it once a week (keep in the fridge).  Then I got lazy and it's more like 2-4 weeks that I feed it, or when I plan to make pizza.  Seems to do just fine.

Offline Ohiofem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »
Iíve been using Ischia starter for about five years. I only feed it when Iím going to use it. I have left it in the refrigerator for more than a month without feeding and it always comes back to life within a few hours of feeding. I use some that I feed with white KABF about once a week. I also have a starter that is about a 50-50 mix of KA pumpernickel flour and KABF. I only use that about once a month to make Jewish rye sandwich bread so I only feed it right before using. It can take up to six hours or overnight to start showing signs of life if Iíve gone several weeks without feeding it. The one thing that hasnít worked for me is freezing either the starter or the finished dough. That seems to kill off most of the yeast.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 11:15:09 AM »
Iíve been using Ischia starter for about five years. I only feed it when Iím going to use it. I have left it in the refrigerator for more than a month without feeding and it always comes back to life within a few hours of feeding. I use some that I feed with white KABF about once a week. I also have a starter that is about a 50-50 mix of KA pumpernickel flour and KABF. I only use that about once a month to make Jewish rye sandwich bread so I only feed it right before using. It can take up to six hours or overnight to start showing signs of life if Iíve gone several weeks without feeding it. The one thing that hasnít worked for me is freezing either the starter or the finished dough. That seems to kill off most of the yeast.

I don't think you are getting your starter fully active if you are only feeding it right before using it.
I have never seen a started become fully active in less that 3 days, and that is feeding it twice a day.

Are you putting the starter straight into the freezer?
You need to dry it first.  Spread a thin layer of the starter on a parchment and put in oven with just the light on. Then you can grind it up, put in a jar, and into freezer.

As for dough in freezer, I have no issues with that either.
I make 3 dough balls and put in freezer. Use them over next 3 weeks.

I got some tips last year from The Dough Doctor about freezing dough balls.  I'll find it and put the link here.
Here is the link  -->  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=64550.msg634129#msg634129

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 11:18:18 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Ohiofem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 11:41:21 AM »
Are you talking about Ischia starter? Believe me, my Ischia starter becomes active within hours of coming out of the refrigerator. I have to worry more about over proofing than under proofing. I did not put the wet starter into the freezer. I dried it to a powder and used that. When I tried to reactivate it a couple weeks later, there were no signs of life even after 48 hours. Thank you for the link to the information about freezing dough. I may try that again. Hereís a photo of the Detroit-style pizza I made last night. I was only able to bake this in a Breville toaster oven at 450 convection because my regular oven is broken and I think it turned out great. I made it less than three days after taking the starter out of the fridge.
I don't think you are getting your starter fully active if you are only feeding it right before using it.
I have never seen a started become fully active in less that 3 days, and that is feeding it twice a day.

Are you putting the starter straight into the freezer?
You need to dry it first.  Spread a thin layer of the starter on a parchment and put in oven with just the light on. Then you can grind it up, put in a jar, and into freezer.

As for dough in freezer, I have no issues with that either.
I make 3 dough balls and put in freezer. Use them over next 3 weeks.

I got some tips last year from The Dough Doctor about freezing dough balls.  I'll find it and put the link here.
Here is the link  -->  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=64550.msg634129#msg634129

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 11:49:05 AM »
Are you talking about Ischia starter? Believe me, my Ischia starter becomes active within hours of coming out of the refrigerator. I have to worry more about over proofing than under proofing. I did not put the wet starter into the freezer. I dried it to a powder and used that. When I tried to reactivate it a couple weeks later, there were no signs of life even after 48 hours. Thank you for the link to the information about freezing dough. I may try that again. Hereís a photo of the Detroit-style pizza I made last night. I was only able to bake this in a Breville toaster oven at 450 convection because my regular oven is broken and I think it turned out great. I made it less than three days after taking the starter out of the fridge.

I have used the Ischia starter.  I keep it in the freezer as well.
It took a lot longer to become fully active than other starter I have, even being fed twice a day.
Not sure what the difference is...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:48:54 PM by 02ebz06 »

Offline Ohiofem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 12:35:55 PM »
Thatís interesting. Iíve actually bought the starter twice in the past 10 years. The first one got tossed by my dear spouse when I accidentally left the jar on the counter when it was his turn to clean up. Both were very active, much more so than the starter I created on my own. Could it be the kind of flour or water you use? The one I feed only white flour to is much more vigorous than the one that is a mix of rye, whole wheat and AP flour. I also only use bottled Fiji water, never tap water. Plus I keep the starter thick like a biga based on a tip from the Bread Bible. It is of course a living thing.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 12:49:42 PM »
I used Sir Galahad AP flour and bottled drinking water.

Offline bregent

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 08:16:42 PM »
I don't feed my starter. I've been using the No Muss, No Fuss starter maintenance routine for about 3 years now and getting consistent results every time.

It can't be simpler.  I make a stiff (66%) 100g starter and keep it in the fridge.
When I am going to bake, I make a levain with about 8 grams of the starter the evening before.
I put into my proofing box at 80F and in about 12 hours it is FULLY active and ready to use in the dough

The starter lasts about 3-4 months in the fridge
- No feeding
- No hootch
- No waste

Don't know why I ever used a more complicated method.

https://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/40918/no-muss-no-fuss-starter
Bob

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 10:16:17 AM »
I don't feed my starter. I've been using the No Muss, No Fuss starter maintenance routine for about 3 years now and getting consistent results every time.

It can't be simpler.  I make a stiff (66%) 100g starter and keep it in the fridge.
When I am going to bake, I make a levain with about 8 grams of the starter the evening before.
I put into my proofing box at 80F and in about 12 hours it is FULLY active and ready to use in the dough

The starter lasts about 3-4 months in the fridge
- No feeding
- No hootch
- No waste

Don't know why I ever used a more complicated method.

https://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/40918/no-muss-no-fuss-starter

Interesting method.

I've gone a different route, I don't keep any in the fridge.
When I want to use SD starter, I take dried started out of freezer and revive it.
No feeding (other than to revive), No hootch, No waste either.

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 10:39:53 AM »
Interesting method.

I've gone a different route, I don't keep any in the fridge.
When I want to use SD starter, I take dried started out of freezer and revive it.
No feeding (other than to revive), No hootch, No waste either.

When JPB sweetly gifted me some of Mmmph's Moby starter flakes last year to replace what I lost, my intent was to use just flakes as well.  I started to bake too often for the revival method, so that was not gonna work.
I currently keep 2 small jars of the same starter in my fridge. I don't really feed them on any schedule.
I usually get about 100 grams from the 2 jars with residue left over. I feed both with 30/30 grams and stick them straight back in the fridge.  It can take a full week or more to mature again, which is great. Any time I notice the starter has peaked then fallen, I grab the same amount out of the jars and feed them again, keeping the discard for other recipes. I haven't thrown out much of anything over the year.

The most curious thing about my starter is that I always have one jar that blooms faster. I'll even take all residue from both jars, feed and divide back to 2 clean jars and one will outperform the other every time.  The jars, the starter, and the feeding are all the same. 
Reesa

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »

When JPB sweetly gifted me some of Mmmph's Moby starter flakes last year to replace what I lost, my intent was to use just flakes as well.  I started to bake too often for the revival method, so that was not gonna work.
I currently keep 2 small jars of the same starter in my fridge. I don't really feed them on any schedule.
I usually get about 100 grams from the 2 jars with residue left over. I feed both with 30/30 grams and stick them straight back in the fridge.  It can take a full week or more to mature again, which is great. Any time I notice the starter has peaked then fallen, I grab the same amount out of the jars and feed them again, keeping the discard for other recipes. I haven't thrown out much of anything over the year.

The most curious thing about my starter is that I always have one jar that blooms faster. I'll even take all residue from both jars, feed and divide back to 2 clean jars and one will outperform the other every time.  The jars, the starter, and the feeding are all the same.

True, if you bake a lot, then you need to have it handy.
Just two of us, so we don't bake that often, but when we do, we bake a lot and freeze most of it.

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 12:07:27 PM »
I did read the process thread from dabrownman over at freshloaf, but I don't necessarily want progressively more sour breads.  I have been thinking of making a less hydrated sd, but things have gone very well so far, so why jinx it? By now y'all should know I'm a jinx magnet.  :-D
Reesa

Offline bregent

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 12:09:56 PM »
>When I want to use SD starter, I take dried started out of freezer and revive it.

Bruce, how long does it take before you can make a dough with it when starting from dried?
Bob

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 12:24:37 PM »
>When I want to use SD starter, I take dried started out of freezer and revive it.

Bruce, how long does it take before you can make a dough with it when starting from dried?

About 3 days, 4 tops.  Ischia took me a week for some reason.