A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Neopolitan dough - seeking advice  (Read 950 times)

Offline eservice

• I Love Pizza!
Neopolitan dough - seeking advice
« on: March 24, 2021, 09:56:07 PM »
Hey folks,

I've been on quite a journey (as i'm sure we all have with dough!) and wanted to check in here for tips and tricks. Sorry in advance if these questions have been asked many times...

Started off with a high yeast (1.6%), 48 hr cold ferment recipe that worked well, easy to shape but was quite puffy and a little bit yeasty.

Next have tried minuscule yeast (.008%), 48 hr ambient ferment process, but the fluctuating temps at my place make it hard to control and i fear that i over-proofed it again, dough was super sticky and hard to work (esp for the pizza party crowd). Tasted ok but a bit dense, doughy....

I really like the long ferments flavour and want to get a great, semi fool proof recipe / process.

I like the cold ferment, but would like to cut back on yeast a bit and usually i don't have space in my fridge for the 10+ balls we make for each party.

Keen to seek tips on how others have looked at these issues and whether they have landed on the perfect recipe / process.

EDIT: I am using a woodfire oven that easily hits 400 deg c.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 10:51:32 PM by eservice »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Neopolitan dough - seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 10:39:15 PM »
You can use a separate plastic cooler with containers of ice to keep the dough cool. Use a temp probe to monitor temps. You did not mention what type of oven you're cooking in or the temps you're able to achieve in it.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline eservice

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 10:59:18 PM »
You can use a separate plastic cooler with containers of ice to keep the dough cool. Use a temp probe to monitor temps. You did not mention what type of oven you're cooking in or the temps you're able to achieve in it.

Thanks - fair point - added in oven info

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 11:37:22 PM »
Thanks - fair point - added in oven info

800°F and north are reccomended for NP doughs, can be cheated south some with the addition of sugar, malt etc. Sounds like you should be able to achieve those temps. A full formula and workflow, mixing times, starting and finishing dough temps pre and post mixing.....will help those smarter than me to help you adjust any minutiae therein to get some positive changes. Pictures help a lot too, particularly cross section cuts and bottom color. The more info the better!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline barlow74

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 02:34:08 PM »
Hey! Im new to pizza making. I have not tried cold ferment yet but I am currently producing great pizzas with a very simple 24 hour room ferment (people commenting that its the best pizza they have ever had!!). I know this isn't relevant to your question regarding cold ferment, so I won't elaborate. But let me know if you are interested to hear more.  :D

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 02:59:33 PM »
Hey! Im new to pizza making. I have not tried cold ferment yet but I am currently producing great pizzas with a very simple 24 hour room ferment (people commenting that its the best pizza they have ever had!!). I know this isn't relevant to your question regarding cold ferment, so I won't elaborate. But let me know if you are interested to hear more.  :D

You can't believe friends, they lie.  :-D  You need to make the best pizza "you've" ever had.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline barlow74

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 05:23:23 AM »
 : :-D That's true. Never really thought of that!  :o  It is the best pizza I have had and I can't see how it can get any better! That's why I'm reluctant to try cold fermentation.