Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Iceman82 on 04 May 2021
  • Hello everyone!

Iíve been working on my pizza dough for a few months and have some questions that I hope this forum can help me with. Ive worked as Chef for over 20 years, but baking and dough making is very new to me, as Iíve always ignored that side of the kitchen . So far, Iíve been making an 80% hydration Detroit Style dough. Iíve been trying to get those large air bubbles and an incredibly crisp and airy crust (Iím kinda obsessed with Apollonniaís).

Somewhere I was told that higher hydration equals more air bubbles, which I donít believe is completely true. I ate a 65% hydration Sicillian last night that had way more air bubbles and pickets than my 80% dough. I think Iím missing something with gluten development and proper fermentation. Hereís my recipe

315g King Arthur Bread Flour
    252g Water (about 55degrees, 80%)
    7g salt (2.2%)
    5.25G IDY (1.6%)

Mix flour and water for 1 minute until shaggy dough is formed. Autolyse for 30 min. Mix on low for 1 minute and add yeast. Add salt...mix on low for 1 minute. Mix on speed 2 for 2 minutes. Mix on speed 3 for 2 minutes. Stretch and fold 4 times and transfer to well oiled bowl. Leave at room temp and stretch and fold dough 4 times every 30 minutes for 2 hours. Cover will plastic and transfer to refrigeration for 24 hours. After 24 hours, transfer to well oiled DSP pan , press out dough and proof at room temp for 4 hours. Bake.

Thoughts?, Iím pretty sure that Iím adding waaaay too much yeast. Any time that I add less yeast, my dough doesnít rise enough. Any tips for less yeast? Should I ferment longer? Stop fermenting at room temp?

I appreciate any and all help and have included some pics of my current pizzas. Thanks!
Pages:
Actions