A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: I stick at stretching dough - help please  (Read 563 times)

Offline rmproperties

• I Love Pizza!
I stick at stretching dough - help please
« on: May 04, 2021, 03:56:13 PM »
Ok I have watched YouTube videos and I must admit I can not stretch dough. I would like to be able to stretch dough to 16” round. Any instructions, tricks, videos????

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: I stick at stretching dough - help please
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 03:58:30 PM »
The most important part of it is having dough that is in the right condition for stretching.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 07:25:54 PM »
What goes wrong when you stretch?
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 08:18:17 AM »
One of the members here, hammetjr, posted a good video for stretching dough that's different than most.

Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 10:27:36 AM »
Wow - yeah, that is about as different as it can get from what I do.  Point being not that neither of our ways of stretching are better or worse, but I would encourage you to watch a lot of videos like this one above.  More importantly, keep practicing and experimenting.  You will find something that works for you.  I will also say that you may need to adjust your dough formulation, depending on the issues you have.  This is what happened to me, as I kept tearing the dough.  As a result, I lowered the hydration a tiny bit and avoided the things in the stretch that seemed to cause the tearing.  This did a lot for me.  But I cannot emphasize enough the importance of practice. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 01:46:01 PM »
Ok I have watched YouTube videos and I must admit I can not stretch dough. I would like to be able to stretch dough to 16” round. Any instructions, tricks, videos????
rmproperties,

The Broz (Peter B) makes several good points. Opening up dough balls to form skins that are 16"--or higher--takes a lot of experience and practice.

It is also important to keep in mind that certain aspects of the dough recipe and the way that the dough is made and kneaded can affect the way the final dough balls are opened. How the dough balls are treated once removed from the refrigerator or cooler can also affect the way they open up. So, in these respects, it might help to know what dough recipe you used and how you made and managed the dough up to the point of opening up the dough balls.

As for videos on the subject, sometimes viewing videos of professionals opening up dough balls may not be as instructive as watching videos of people who make and open dough ball in a home setting. The reason is that professionals have commercial mixers that produce a more consistent dough than home mixers, and their mixers are more powerful than home mixers. To cite an example, see the video cited below that shows how Tony Gemignani, who is a consummate professional pizza maker, opens up dough balls, but keep in mind that the dough he uses--most likely as part of a large commercial batch--was prepared on a commercial mixer that will produce dough balls that are less prone to dough opening problems than those made at home. This is important because as the late Tom Lehmann used to remind us from time to time, variations in a commercial setting should be avoided as much as possible, to minimize failures. Or as he used to tell us, often in caps: FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION.

The above said, we have countless members who can produce dough, whether by hand or home mixers, and make pizzas that are as good as or even better than those made by professionals. However, it takes the right dough recipe and following prudent steps to create dough balls that have few flaws when time comes to open them up into skins. But even then it still takes a lot of experience and practice to form the skins, and a commitment to the time needed to yield the desired end results. Watching how professionals open up their dough balls can still be instructive but with an awareness that they do many things differently than in a home setting. And among the videos featuring professionals, those who make the dough using home equipment are perhaps the most useful to watch.

Peter

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 05:50:14 AM »
I think we've all had our trials and tribulations, it's not something that's easy and comes natural.

Practice makes perfect..!
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline rmproperties

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 04:48:57 PM »
Peter what a great video !!! Thank you for replying
In reference to the dough, I am using Rich food products 19 oz pizza buns. (from Restaurant Depot)
I thawed the bun in a fridge for 3 days, it look like it had risen to twice the size, then took it our and set out at rom temp for 1 hour, then tried to shape..that is when it failed and brought me here to ask for help
I will try again Sunday, by taking our the dough on Saturday then Sunday , remove and set out at room temp for 1 hour, then shape. Will let you know...fingers crossed

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 04:54:24 PM »
When taking out of fridge, you should let it sit for at least 2 hours before shaping.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 08:33:05 PM »
Peter what a great video !!! Thank you for replying
In reference to the dough, I am using Rich food products 19 oz pizza buns. (from Restaurant Depot)

So that is presumably pre-made store bought dough?  If so - I thought Tom once said that store bought dough is loaded with yeast, possibly due to the manufacturer not knowing when you would stretch it.  I suspect that maybe your dough was overproofed, which will make stretching tricky.  I think most of the stretching tips you will find here are for dough that is homemade to a recipe that targets a fairly specific fermentation time.  Thus, overproofed dough would be less of an issue typically.
I have used store bought dough as well.  My suggestion would be to not be overly aggressive stretching it, or use a rolling pin and try to make some bar pies.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 09:14:49 PM »
Peter B,

Rich’s is a major wholesale producer of frozen pizza dough products:

https://www.richs.com/us/our-products/

I believe that the dough balls that rmproperties is using is the 19-ounce product shown at:

https://www.richsusa.com/products/pizza/pizza-dough-balls/06752/

The above 19-ounce dough ball contains a fair amount of yeast, which in Rich’s case is a fresh cream yeast (I learned this in an exchange with Rich’s in December of 2018). But pretty much all frozen pizza balls contain high amounts of yeast because some of it is destroyed during the freezing process. The increased amount of yeast also helps to ensure a decent oven spring in the final pizza.

I recall that the late Tom Lehmann had a specific way to prepare frozen dough balls for use. I will try to find the post and cite it.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 09:21:34 PM »
Here is Tom’s post on the procedure he recommended for commercially frozen pizza dough balls:

Reply 4 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=65556.msg641583#msg641583

Peter

Offline benappetit

• Legalize Marinara
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 03:56:14 AM »
One of the members here, hammetjr, posted a good video for stretching dough that's different than most.

I would say only use this as an example if you never want to cook in a deck or wood oven. Taking 8 mins to open and dress a pizza = guaranteed sticking.
#Neapolitan Crew
#Cold Ferment Crew
#Wood-Fired Oven Crew
#Late Oil Addition Crew