A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bottom Of Pizza Not Crisp.  (Read 486 times)

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
Bottom Of Pizza Not Crisp.
« on: May 14, 2021, 08:00:11 AM »
I made a NY style pizza last night. It came out very good but the bottom could have been a bit more crisp. The dough was made with KABF at  63% hydration and cold fermented for approximately 56 hours at 36F. It sat at room temp for almost 2 hours and it was at 63F when I used it. It was cooked in an Ooni Pro using lump charcoal at a temp of around 650F for approximately 8 minutes. The Ooni was preheated for about a half an hour before launch. The flavor was very good but the color and crispness of the bottom could have been better. The only thing I can think of is that I should have preheated a bit longer. Any ideas or suggestions?
I started out with nothing. I have most of it left.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Bottom Of Pizza Not Crisp.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 11:15:00 PM »
Couple things...

Do you actually have a pic of the underside??
It doesn't look like NY style at all. Even though it does indeed look nice.
It looks a bit overcooked. Which 8 minutes at 650 would be overcooked.
I'm guessing you don't know what the stone temp was? If not, maybe you need an infrared thermometer.

And again... it really IS a nice looking pie, even if it doesn't look anything like a NY style pie to me.

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 12:09:28 AM »
I think you need to throw in some small pieces of wood before the pizza to get the bottom hotter. My experience with charcoal in my Oono Pro was it doesn't get hot enough. Pellets worked but are way to much trouble, now I just use propane.

Ira

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »
Couple things...

Do you actually have a pic of the underside??
It doesn't look like NY style at all. Even though it does indeed look nice.
It looks a bit overcooked. Which 8 minutes at 650 would be overcooked.
I'm guessing you don't know what the stone temp was? If not, maybe you need an infrared thermometer.

And again... it really IS a nice looking pie, even if it doesn't look anything like a NY style pie to me.

I realize it doesnít look like a classic NY style. I still have much to work on with my shaping and stretching skills, but trust me Iíve made some progress from the amoeba like pizzas I was making. I appreciate the input.

Offline rsem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 01:31:40 PM »
The other poster may be right about temp of the actual stone, but given the preheat time, I think maybe it should've been close enough, although it has been a while since I've used my ooni (switched to Effeuno). I would start there and ensure my stone was indeed hot enough.

Also, when you formed the skin, did you first flour it on both sides? If so, try also using a course grind semolina, like the one from Bob's Red Mill (if you're in the states).

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »
The other poster may be right about temp of the actual stone, but given the preheat time, I think maybe it should've been close enough, although it has been a while since I've used my ooni (switched to Effeuno). I would start there and ensure my stone was indeed hot enough.

Also, when you formed the skin, did you first flour it on both sides? If so, try also using a course grind semolina, like the one from Bob's Red Mill (if you're in the states).

I put it the dough ball into a bowl with a 50/50 mix of semolina and flour befor opening it. Bobís Red Mill is the one I use.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 04:10:23 PM »
Size of doughball and recipe also play into the equation for how the bottom turns out.

My long held belief is that NY pizza is not crispy on the bottom, as the fold needs to happen.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 06:30:06 PM »
My long held belief is that NY pizza is not crispy on the bottom, as the fold needs to happen.

"crispy" means different things to different people, but I think this is a good point.  I'd really like to see a pic of the underside.  There are a number of issues that could be at play here.  It's possible that you stretched it way too thin, or maybe you are shooting for a texture that is more designed from a greased pan, etc.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline nickyr

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 10:07:37 AM »
Definitely get an infrared thermometer. The stone temp of the Ooni pro is not necessarily correlated to the temp on the doorís thermometer. I only use the door thermometer to keep an eye on the initial preheat and then use the IR thermometer to see when itís actually ready for a pizza. In that oven Iíve found itís all about balancing the stone temp with the amount of fire coming over the top, baking the top of the pie. 30 minutes was probably not long enough for the preheat, unless you had a big flame rolling over the top of the oven to get the stone nice and warm. With an IR thermometer youíll know for sure!

Offline erickso1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 10:50:44 AM »
Agree with Nickyr on the IR.  My stone usually varies between 50 to 100 degress, front to back (ooni pro).  My first pizza usually hits the stone when stone temp is 650 or so, and its rotate, rotate, rotate while the flame comes over the top.  After I pull it, I put the full door back on, and drop a piece of wood into the box to get floor temp back up. 

Offline nickyr

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 01:04:24 PM »
Agree with Nickyr on the IR.  My stone usually varies between 50 to 100 degress, front to back (ooni pro).  My first pizza usually hits the stone when stone temp is 650 or so, and its rotate, rotate, rotate while the flame comes over the top.  After I pull it, I put the full door back on, and drop a piece of wood into the box to get floor temp back up.
Yeah, same with me, except I just leave the pizza door on usually to minimize the chances of burning myself :-) Full door definitely works better for getting the temp up if youíre careful enough

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 08:58:43 AM »
Definitely get an infrared thermometer. The stone temp of the Ooni pro is not necessarily correlated to the temp on the doorís thermometer. I only use the door thermometer to keep an eye on the initial preheat and then use the IR thermometer to see when itís actually ready for a pizza. In that oven Iíve found itís all about balancing the stone temp with the amount of fire coming over the top, baking the top of the pie. 30 minutes was probably not long enough for the preheat, unless you had a big flame rolling over the top of the oven to get the stone nice and warm. With an IR thermometer youíll know for sure!

Itís funny you should mention the correlation between the flame coming over the top and the pre-heat time. I recently installed a Flame Guard in my Pro to reduce the amount of flame coming over the top and help control charring/burning. I have done this particular pizza in the Pro before with good results but as you so astutely pointed out I think in this last round I did not pre-heat long enough especially with the Flame Guard in place now. Thanks you for the valuable input.