A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Super Peel; what's the verdict?  (Read 510 times)

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
Super Peel; what's the verdict?
« on: May 14, 2021, 02:31:27 PM »
Had another difficult launch yesterday (neo. style, high hydration) and am considering a Super Peel to end my frustrations. Will it end my frustrations? Would like to have feedback from owners/users or just generally.
George

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Super Peel; what's the verdict?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 03:21:16 PM »
Had another difficult launch yesterday (neo. style, high hydration) and am considering a Super Peel to end my frustrations. Will it end my frustrations? Would like to have feedback from owners/users or just generally.
George,

You may get some replies from some of the current members but if you go to search page at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=search and enter the search terms "Super peel" (without the quotes) you will get over 300 hits. Most of those will be from members who are not active on the forum anymore, and some posts will include the terms super and peel but be unrelated to the Super Peel you have in mind.

Before scouring a lot of posts you might wait to see if current members answer your questions.

Peter

Offline goosta

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 04:09:05 PM »
I absolutely love it! I've gotten flak for saying that before, but it works for me. It lets me build pizzas on the counter and not worry about the myriad of distractions that may come up while I'm topping the pizzas (I have 4 young boys in the house, so it's always crazy around here). Then I can easily pick up the pizza and slide it into the oven when it's time. I also use it for doing breadsticks and other baking (like pastries).
Ron

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 04:35:35 PM »
I'm on the other side of the fence from Goosta.  I threw mine away.
Had broken clip, and they wouldn't sell me one.

Have you tried Semolina or Rice flour on the peel to keep pizza from sticking?

I do what Tom Lehmann had suggested.
I have a container of AP and Semolina flour mixed about 3-1.
Dump the dough ball in it, flip it over, and then stretch.
Granted I don't do high hydration dough (only about 60%), but with some Semolina flour on the peel, it solved any sticking problems for me.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 07:17:43 PM »
I have no problem with lower hydration dough (mostly). But what I hate is the burned flour/seminola/cornmeal on pies after the first or first two. Plus, after a bad launch the whole experience is ruined for me. When things go bad the first time they just get worse on subsequent times. So, I'm weighing and hoping that the super peel might save me.
George

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 04:53:33 AM »
I have no opinion on the super peel as I've never used it.  I did however use a similar one for roman pizza al taglio (pizza alla pala) which is normally made from a high hydration dough (~80%).  Makes sliding the pizza into a small deck oven very easy.

Regarding normal round pizza (I've done from Roman Tonda to Neapolitan), I think it's just a matter of practice and getting a good wooden peel.  As your dough and dough making/handling skills improve, it stops being a problem.  I remember having problems with the dough sticking but it never happens anymore.  Nowadays I just use the same wheat flour I used for the dough, and there is never so much left on it that it burns.

With the Tonda Romana I do use semolina rimacinata for the bench work, and yes it tends to build up on the deck and cause some mess after a few pizzas.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline JeffShoaf

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 03:47:08 PM »
I have 2 - the WFO version used first with my Pizza party and now with my Fontana gas oven and thin one that I cut down to use with my Breville Pizziaola. After struggling with launching with both metal and wooden peels, then having a piece of parchment catch on fire in my kitchen while trying to launch into the Breville, I just gave up and bought them. I generally don't make any extra dough and usually am only making one pizza so if I have a failed launch I either have to try to save the mucked up pizza, go hungry, or find something else to eat; I haven't had a failed launch since I started using the super peels.

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 04:07:58 PM »
I see a an easy way to make a launch on You Tube with a length of cloth, using your existing peel. I will have to find the right cloth for it but will give it a try.  If it works, no sense in shelling out the bucks for a dedicated super peel.
George

Offline JeffShoaf

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 05:27:22 PM »
I see a an easy way to make a launch on You Tube with a length of cloth, using your existing peel. I will have to find the right cloth for it but will give it a try.  If it works, no sense in shelling out the bucks for a dedicated super peel.

Before cutting down a superpeel to fit in the Breville, I trimmed down a superpeel cloth belt and tried to use it with a regular peel as a pseudo-superpeel but it didn't work as well - with a real superpeel, you hold the belt clip (or sliding handle on the WFO version) stationary and pull the peel out so the pizza doesn't move on the belt; the belt drops out from under the pizza as the end of the peel slides out. Without having the belt in a loop around the peel, i found it very difficult to pull the cloth out at the right speed for it to work properly.

I was trying something similar with parchment paper when the paper ignited as i was pulling it out of the Breville piazziola - that's what led me to get a replacement superpeel belt for the experiment above. I already had the WFO version fir the larger outdoor oven.

As an aside, i contacted the superpeel inventor to ask for a smaller version for smaller ovens like the Breville and the roccbox; he said he's had lots of requests and was considering coming out with one but he had no eta on having it available.

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 08:11:30 PM »
Fashioned this super peel-like slide for the existing peel and I found it to work just fine. Here is a 68% hydration dough that I would have mangled otherwise.
P.S. The pie retained its original shape as stretched.
George

Offline thezu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 06:14:55 PM »
I bought one a couple years ago after two failed launches in succession and I've not regretted it at all.  So easy to load the dressed pizza onto it and unload into oven.  One potential benefit is that no flour/semolina/corn meal/etc "lubrication" is needed at all.  But nothing precludes use of that either.

Offline ScottH

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 11:35:47 AM »
I'm a little late to this party but wanted to express my love of the Superpeel. Been using one for around 15 years. Never a failed launch. I get that it is a little more PITA to assemble and clean but really not that big a deal to me. Less PITA than cleaning a pile of burnt toppings and no dinner. Bonus is the peel itself is very nice and worthwhile even if you don't want to use the cloth.

wordpress