A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Combining Caputo Chef flour with KA bread flour in wood oven  (Read 266 times)

Offline woodfiredgreg

Combining Caputo Chef flour with KA bread flour in wood oven
« on: August 03, 2022, 09:27:45 AM »
Hi pizzaiola’s
I just ordered the “red bag” of Caputo Chef flour and realized that it leans toward the home oven. I built a wood oven that bakes around 700-800 depending if it’s the first pie or last. I’m thinking maybe a blend of the Caputo and KA might get me a better crust than either use by themselves. Any suggestions about percentages would be most appreciated. I plan on making a long cold fermented dough, min 24 hr. Thanks!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Combining Caputo Chef flour with KA bread flour in wood oven
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 09:48:25 AM »
There is nothing about the chef flour that makes it better for a home oven than other Caputo flours.  Its not malted or enzyme enriched, so it will have excellent resistance to burning at the high temperatures common in wood burning ovens when they are fired strong. 

It does have a higher protein value than many of the other Caputo flours, so that just means that it would be (possibly) better for longer fermentations or higher hydrations, but that is dependent on a bunch of other factors involved in your mixing and proofing regimen. 

If you want to add in King Arthur flour, the majority of them ARE malted, so they would get you more browning, and therefore THEY are more suited to a home oven.

I love Caputo blended with KA in wood burning ovens, so don't let me discourage you from that. 

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 09:55:09 AM »
I always make my first batch with new flour a 100% that flour. Then adjust future batches as needed to reach a goal.

Offline woodfiredgreg

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 11:19:51 AM »
🤔hmm, thanks!
Sounds like 100% Caputo will do the magic just fine. If I decide to mix, I’ll probably do 75 Caputo /25 KA

A D V E R T I S E M E N T