A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My back yard brick oven help  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Wolfeh1

• I Love Pizza!
My back yard brick oven help
« on: May 30, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »
I recently bought this house and in the back yard I have a brick oven.  I don't know much about it and I was hoping that members could educate me a bit about it. What are the two bottom doors used for. Could I make pizza in this type of oven and any information you could share about this type of oven.

I appreciate it I am new to pizza making and this site.

Thank You
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:25:25 PM by Tampa »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: My back yard brick oven help
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »
Wolfeh1, nice looking oven, BUT, if it were mine I would get an insert of some kind, perhaps a smaller oven designed to bake pizza and keep the outer stone work. I believe that the dome height of your oven exceeds that of a suitable pizza oven desgn.
I would think that the larger lower door is there to access a wood burning chamber, this is a guess. The lower smaller door may be an ash clean out access.
I would take measurements of the cooking chamber and see what I could find as an insertable oven.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:25:33 AM »
We are fortunate to have some members that really know WFOs so hopefully you will get a good answer.  I'm not presently using a WFO, but if I were, it would be an oven that looks exactly like that one.  I love the rustic appeal.  Given the apparent age, yours may not be a well-insulated, low-dome design which I understand is more fuel-efficient and offers faster warm up.  Only an obsessive nut would remove the top and put a best-in-class WFO in there then re-install the top.   
:drool:
Dave

Edit - I was typing the same time as Mark, and by my read, he qualifies. :-D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:29:04 AM by Tampa »

Offline Wolfeh1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:38:01 AM »
Thank you for the replies.  I know it needs some work getting it back into shape.  I will try to take some pictures of the inside over the weekend and also try to take some measurements.  Insert might not be a bad idea.  I was looking at the inside it looks pretty deep.  I was thinking on adding some stone work to the inside to provide a place to maybe put a stone that I could take in and out and adjust it to the right dome height.  I am not sure what the right dome height should be I have a lot to learn. 

Thank you for sharing your suggestions.

Henry

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »
Truthfully, I would maybe get a grate and use it as a grill/fireplace and build an oven next to it.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »
That doesn't look like an oven at all....more likely it was used as a charcoal grill, and the area above the chamber is built more like an outdoor fireplace.  The masonry has some issues and I would think twice about retrofitting an oven into that structure as it is.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:24:20 PM by stonecutter »
When we build, let us think that we build forever.
John Ruskin

wordpress