A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ideas for importing a BS pizza oven overseas?  (Read 6187 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Ideas for importing a BS pizza oven overseas?
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »
You could ditch the metal legs too....if you wanted to make it mobile for yourself there just fab up some better quick release legs with larger `tundra` type tires for easy roll around in grass or sand.   :chef:

Might as well make it worth your money.   :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2014, 09:57:51 AM »
Ditching any extras , such as side stands, legs , and shipping stones separately, could probably reduce weight to under 70lbs, but i ´d still be looking at around 400 usd for air shipping.  Somehow air shipping has to do with size and weight, not just weight in itself.  That would actually be the best option for someone traveling and carrying it on a plane. It would probably save him around 200$ on overweight fees.

As far as tax/duties goes, id still be looking at around the same . Item + freight, on top of that, i need to add 60%.  I'm convinced that my best shot would be ocean freight.

Ocean freight is the same, if it weights 115lbs or 65 lbs.  ( go figure!) It probably has to do with size, much more than weight.

I found a guy on Ebay, who says he ships worldwide, but the oven costs
543 USD
125 shipping usd
622 duties/tax  usd

While oven is way overpriced, shipping is way too cheap, and customs duties are accounting for approximately 100% which should be only 60%.
But at 1290 usd, that seems like a viable option.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:02:52 AM by vrumvrum »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2014, 10:15:49 AM »
Would you feel better about it if the oven was free and all you pay is shipping and handling of $1,290?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »
Order a pallet of them and sell the rest to pay for yours.

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2014, 05:59:36 PM »
Order a pallet of them and sell the rest to pay for yours.

Wish i had the resource ( $$), time and energy to do that. I could sell those ovens for around 1.8k a piece, as crazy as this sounds. I wouldn't be surprised if i´m the only one in Brazil who owns a BS oven.

I Contacted this guy on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACKSTONE-1575-PATIO-OVEN-60K-BTU-BURNER-FOR-QUICK-NEW-AUTH-DEALER-/271323751513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2c27e459, lets see if I get to go ahead and purchase the oven, or he will come up with different prices or even the inability to ship it to Brazil.  :-D

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 07:40:42 AM »
vruwvrum,  not sure what type of pizza you like, but have you looked at some other options.   I think the BS is a great item, and a great value at the price I paid, but with the costs of shipping you might want to look to see if something else would work for you at a better total cost.   The Mighty Pizza Oven gets great reviews, and a second version is being released soon - it comes it a much smaller package, and weighs much less, since the heat source is not included, so shipping may be much cheaper.  Another option is the Pizza Pronto,  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28378.msg297779#msg297779  which is also called the Pizza Que or PizzaCraft.
    it bakes a smaller pie, uses a smaller heat source, and the stones don't rotate, but you might be able to mod it.  Again, since it is smaller, and lighter, shipping may be much less.    I love my BS, but since size and weight are making the shipping outrageous, I would at least look at other options.   

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 06:58:07 PM »
vrumvrum,
You may want to take a look at MrDennyCrane's post in today's Pic of you Pie section. He is using a grill top oven that may suite your needs for being mobile, shippable in one box, and within your weight requirements. It's not a blackstone - but it might be a good lower cost option as is the MPO that Barryvabeach suggested.

Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #1236 on: Today at 06:44:27 PM »

[/size]
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2014, 10:14:30 AM »
vrumvrum,
You may want to take a look at MrDennyCrane's post in today's Pic of you Pie section. He is using a grill top oven that may suite your needs for being mobile, shippable in one box, and within your weight requirements. It's not a blackstone - but it might be a good lower cost option as is the MPO that Barryvabeach suggested.

Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #1236 on: Today at 06:44:27 PM »

[/size]

Hi Donjo and Barry, thanks for throwing some more ideas/options on the table. But I think the BS way of baking a pie, on a rotisserie stone, and Real flame as heat source is absolutely right in so many ways that my interest in BS oven is greater than just to make pizzas.  Its such a clever design, yet, so simple and effective.  Its just one of those things that for $ 1.2k ~ 1.3k , im willing to make the sacrifice.

The Ebay guy just replied me saying it its to large to be shipped to Brazil, and that he is sorry for the confusion.  :-\

Now im back to square one.

Its a shame Brazil has such a severe politics when it cames to import goods. Brazil is known for having the most expensive cars in the entire world. We are so used to paying overprice for so many things it just gets ridiculous sometimes.  As crazy as it sounds my second best option is an Oven made in Brazil called Pizzajet, and it costs around 2k usd.

Here is a picture:

http://assets.lwsite.com.br/uploads/widget_image/image/833/83377/Pizzajet_novo_painel.JPG

This thing does the job of making a decent pizza, but its far from what i would call Great and with an "artisan" aspect to it.

There are other options in Brazil that tried to use the concept of a Rotisserie stone (most likely trying to copycat the 2stone). I think they thought they could do an even better oven, but in my opinion they ruined it. Pizza oven done by engineers, not pizza makers if you know what i mean.   There is no flame on the sides, its a slower baking method and they use infrared heat on top .  Here is a link of this oven. The price in dollars is the equivalent to 2.4k.

http://www.albermaq.com.br/#!product/prd1/1855857515/forno-girat%C3%B3rios-01-pizza

What is the point of having the stone rotating if the heat source is evenly distributed? I just dont understand the design.  Here is a Youtube video if you want to see how this oven works in detail.  (please dont mind the pizza that is being baked =),

I rather pay 1.2k in a Blackstone oven than 2.4k on one of those ovens.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:27 AM »
What is the point of having the stone rotating if the heat source is evenly distributed?

Heat is almost never evenly distributed. The hotter you go, the more it matters.

I'm not feeling the love for either of those ovens.

Are you in a place where you could build a brick oven? Or maybe fund someone who could help you build something similar to a blackstone/2stone?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »
I'm not feeling the love for either of those ovens.

Are you in a place where you could build a brick oven? Or maybe fund someone who could help you build something similar to a blackstone/2stone?

Hey, Craig, I know what you are saying.  No love there  :D

Brick oven is not what I want.  As im looking for mobility . 

I thought about building a similar oven, I live in a large city with so many professionals capable of doing something similar, but its a long term project that whithout ever seeing a Blackstone up close, dismantled and so, I just lack knowledge, of what to tell theses workers, welders, stainless steel  cutters, and all , what to do.

Im heavyly considering going to US, but being near the End of the Year, air tickets are not at their best. 

I used to live in Texas Craig, north of Houston (The Woodlands).  :)

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Vrumvrum,
I was thinking about your comment about politics. US/Canada/Mexico have the North American free trade act. Perhaps a Blackstone dealer in Mexico would be an option? Geographically closer too.  If not, there may be an angle on having one shipped from the US (or Canada) to Mexico then shipped to you in Brazil. I have no idea about import taxes from MX to SA but it may be worth a shot.
Cheers,
Don

P.S. Do you live in Brazil permanently? Any chance you may be moving in the next 12 months anywhere? There may be a customs/tariff remedy if you are.
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2014, 11:02:31 AM »
Here is another question for you Blackstone owners.  Actually this is a bit technical.

I Understand Propane is used in US, usually 20lbs cylinders gas propane, and as far as I know, this is called LPG ( liquid propane Gas). right?

Here in Brazil we have a different standard. 

We also use LPG as cooking gas, but our gas is a mixture of 60% propane, and 40% butane. Because of that we use a different type of cylinders.

We have a 28lbs cylinder that looks like this .

Its also sold in Brazil the same cylinder used in forklifts, does this type of cylinder would attach to the Blackstone?

I know for a fact that the 28lbs standard cylinder we commonly use in our household will not fit, as there is a different attachment.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:13:36 AM by vrumvrum »

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2014, 11:09:35 AM »
Vrumvrum,
I was thinking about your comment about politics. US/Canada/Mexico have the North American free trade act. Perhaps a Blackstone dealer in Mexico would be an option? Geographically closer too.  If not, there may be an angle on having one shipped from the US (or Canada) to Mexico then shipped to you in Brazil. I have no idea about import taxes from MX to SA but it may be worth a shot.
Cheers,
Don

P.S. Do you live in Brazil permanently? Any chance you may be moving in the next 12 months anywhere? There may be a customs/tariff remedy if you are.

Donjo, its ok to import anything, we just need to pay outrageous custom duties. So, importing from Mexico, China, Japan or USA, its the same thing.

If anybody would take the BS oven to an ocean freight company, it would arrive in Brazil, with no problems, Just a lot of tax and duties.  At this point im not sure there are companies that accept packages to be sent directly to ocean freight carriers, and if they would receive the package and ship it to Brazil. 

Im writing emails and doing a couple of different quotes, if nothing works out , i probably go to US myself.  I could use a 3 day vacation.

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2014, 11:14:56 AM »
Vrum,  I can't help on the propane issue,  but it shouldn't be hard to get someone to fabricate something similar to a BS or 2Stone. Reading this post all the way through will give you plenty of ideas on how to design one.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28947.0

The main components would be a turkey fryer or similar burner,though it may have a different name in Brazil, http://www.bbqguys.com/category_path_11451.html      that you can source locally, that way you can be sure that it works with your propane   , then a platter, main body, and a method to rotate the platter.

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »
Thanks Barry, i´ll read all of this thread in a bit.   Is  Cordierite stone, the material the BS stone made of ? Maybe it wouldnt be so hard to build one, im just scared of trying it.

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
vrumvrum, the propane issue could be a deal breaker, hopefully not...
but you can add that to your research.

Have you considered the wood fired pizza party oven?
It seems somewhat portable, maybe you'd like to check the threads on it.
The taxes would probably still be burdensome.
Charles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »
The tank on your bottom pic looks close.......if necessary, I am sure there are plenty of adapters/fittings available.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
vrum, not sure if it was ever conclusively established the type of stone in the BS, but Norma tried a cordierite, and used firebrick, and had no problems.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg315265#msg315265   as long as you have an IR gun, and some time to practice,  I don't think the type of stone will be a problem for most types of pie.

wordpress