A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Do you know anyone who´s using a BS oven on a mobile business ?  (Read 6244 times)

Offline vrumvrum

I´m just wondering , if anyone is using it inside a food truck, or mobile, catering business? 
I think there are regulations in USA that prevents this from happening, am i correct?

Do you guys thing BS ovens can handle 4 to 6 hours of daily operation? 3 to 4 times per week?  Im just asking because a group of friends is really into the idea of starting a Food truck business in Brazil.  The market is just about to take off.  I think 2015 will be a fantastic year for anyone trying to launch a Foodtruck business in Brazil. 

What are your thoughts ?

Offline JD

Re: Do you know anyone who´s using a BS oven on a mobile business ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:45:59 AM »
I would think propane costs would keep you from making any real money, although I have no idea how much propane costs in Brazil...
JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
Really, propane cost?  Its pretty much the same, i guess,  about 17~18$ for 28lbs of propane.  That is not a deal breaker.

The food truck business is so incredible hot in Brazil right now, that we are talking about selling 100s of pies per day.  There is a food truck in Sao Paulo selling prebaked dough pizzas  thin crispy style ( although , w/ good ingredients) averaging 400 to 600 pizzas sold a day.  He sells 8" pies for about 8$ each + lots of beverages and desserts. 

Im just wondering if a "hobby" oven like BS pizza oven could handle so much.

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 11:09:55 AM »
I don't have a BS.  I just read a thread about what sounded like a known problem with the rotating motor going out.  I don't know... I'd check into the duty cycle for the motor and moving parts.  Perhaps BS owners, or BS directly, could provide data on that. It'd be rough to be out of service with a line of people at your truck.
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline JD

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
Really, propane cost?  Its pretty much the same, i guess,  about 17~18$ for 28lbs of propane.  That is not a deal breaker.

Did you create a business plan or are you just wingin' it? People on this board are getting 3-4hrs of use per tank, so you'll go through a couple tanks per day. Between that and cheese cost you may be surprised how much leftover money you actually have. If you're a one-man operation it may be a different story.
JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »
Did you create a business plan or are you just wingin' it? People on this board are getting 3-4hrs of use per tank, so you'll go through a couple tanks per day. Between that and cheese cost you may be surprised how much leftover money you actually have. If you're a one-man operation it may be a different story.

For now its only speculation.  I told a group of friends im going to USA just to buy a BS oven, and they all started to talk me into starting a food truck business, but I told them BS ovens are not meant to be on a commercial environment.

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
I have a BS, and think it should have no problem keeping up with that schedule, though I would upgrade the rotisserie motor.  I have never timed how long it would run on a bottle of propane  ( here we use 20 pound tanks, that are often only filled to 15 pounds if you use an exchange service).  I don't track how many pies I can make on a tank, but my guess is 10 or more. If it were less than that, I would have tried to convert it to natural gas.  Even if I tracked it, my record would not be a good indicator because you would only have to bring the oven up to temp once.   I don't know what the expenses would be, though if gas got expensive, you could probably double the efficiency pretty easy - put a door on the front to cut down on the heat loss there, and insulate the top and sides.  8 inch pies would be a little bit of a waste on the BS, since it is a 15 inch stone, I would be shooting for 12 to 14 inches, if you could sell at that size.  You could always look into the 2stone, which is probably much more durable, though it has a bigger burner, so that might run up the cost.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 10:56:16 PM »
It`s totally doable. Like Barry said, seal up the unit. Swap out that burner for a smaller more efficient low pressure one....maybe add an additional one to the left side....lower the ceiling...lot`s of things you could do with this oven and still make a fast bake street pie.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 06:54:22 AM »
Thanks so guys,  things are moving quite fast.  Last night,  we sat down and punch number thru the night,  trying to figure out how much money it would cost to be in business by January.  We estimated the whole cost to be around 70k usd.   I'll let you guys know if we decided to give this business a go.  Tonight we are going to work with a financial spreadsheet,  and try to figure it out if it's a viable business.  So far so good.  I'm excited. 

About 2stone, it's just so expensive,  I wouldn't be surprised if it would cost me around 12k a piece to bring one to Brazil. 

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 06:57:27 AM »
I think moddind and insulating the bs oven is the way to go. 

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 07:26:51 AM »
Don't forget you will need to mod it to handle being in a moving truck and going over bumps and such.  As currently designed, gravity holds both stones in place.  You will want to come up with a way to keep the lower stone from going up and down as you drive (   you might be able to put in a block of wood to wedge it in place, though you would have to wait a little to let it cool)  You would also need to devise straps to hold the upper stone down.

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 03:29:19 PM »
Don't forget you will need to mod it to handle being in a moving truck and going over bumps and such.  As currently designed, gravity holds both stones in place.  You will want to come up with a way to keep the lower stone from going up and down as you drive (   you might be able to put in a block of wood to wedge it in place, though you would have to wait a little to let it cool)  You would also need to devise straps to hold the upper stone down.
^^^

Good thinking Barry.  Last thing we need is stones flying  around the kitchen or arriving broken at the event.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
^^^

Good thinking Barry.  Last thing we need is stones flying  around the kitchen or arriving broken at the event.
Fasion a steel spring X shaped `bungee` cord to secure stone...that should do it.  I hope you are taking notes here vroom.  ;D

Offline Crispy Please

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »
I have had a Blackstone for a couple of months. I can't speak to what the effect of hours of continuous use would be but I kept a careful log of production on a standard 20lb tank of propane. 

I was able to make more than 40 pizzas (all between 12 and 15 inches) on one tank. More importantly, this was done in 13 separate sessions each of which required a 12 to 15 minute preheat. I think that would translate to more than 60 pizzas on one tank (perhaps even 80+) if you are cranking them out continuously. :o Cost effective? I'd say yes but just plug in your cost-per-gallon for an accurate P$PP (Propane Cost Per Pie).

The other question about all-day use is what will be the cumulative effect on the unit after a few months of this sort commercial production? 
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 07:43:15 PM »
I have had a Blackstone for a couple of months. I can't speak to what the effect of hours of continuous use would be but I kept a careful log of production on a standard 20lb tank of propane. 

I was able to make more than 40 pizzas (all between 12 and 15 inches) on one tank. More importantly, this was done in 13 separate sessions each of which required a 12 to 15 minute preheat. I think that would translate to more than 60 pizzas on one tank (perhaps even 80+) if you are cranking them out continuously. :o Cost effective? I'd say yes but just plug in your cost-per-gallon for an accurate P$PP (Propane Cost Per Pie).

The other question about all-day use is what will be the cumulative effect on the unit after a few months of this sort commercial production?
Excellent post Crispy....thanks for contributing.   :chef:

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 09:24:34 PM »
Crispy, thanks for the data point.  Was that a full 20 lb tank , or one of the exchange tanks that is only filled to 15 lbs.  Also,  I have one of those fuel level gauges for my tank, http://www.homewetbar.com/propane-tank-gauge-level-indicator-p-2287.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwkrmhBRD49Mbm_MvruWsSJAAEDt13FMflo4NYSojtkNh640zWlEaAyT9d8cVcy25yUjcWsBoCIfTw_wcB  and find that by the time it comes pretty close to empty -  the flames get pretty low, and  I don't get the roar.  I assume your numbers were for a full roar flame, or did you keep counting till the tank ran dry?

Offline Crispy Please

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »
Crispy, thanks for the data point.  Was that a full 20 lb tank , or one of the exchange tanks that is only filled to 15 lbs.  Also,  I have one of those fuel level gauges for my tank, http://www.homewetbar.com/propane-tank-gauge-level-indicator-p-2287.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwkrmhBRD49Mbm_MvruWsSJAAEDt13FMflo4NYSojtkNh640zWlEaAyT9d8cVcy25yUjcWsBoCIfTw_wcB  and find that by the time it comes pretty close to empty -  the flames get pretty low, and  I don't get the roar.  I assume your numbers were for a full roar flame, or did you keep counting till the tank ran dry?

My tank was my own, filled by the local lawn & garden company so I think it was "full" which I understand is really about 18 gallons.

I have one of those gauges and find it to be 100% unreliable! ???

Interesting that you mention the "roar", the degree of which I use to measure the gas rate rather than stoop over to look at the lines around the knob. My experience is that it will roar until the last minute of usable gas. I do not have it on full as this would bring my Black Stone into the 900 degree range which is much too hot! I just kept track of the sessions/pies until the tank ran out.

My biggest issue has been balancing the top and bottom temperatures to get the color I want on the underside with the desired doneness of the top of each pie. I should say that I make "NY Style" pizzas and not Napoletano. As a result I cook my pies longer and at perhaps somewhat lower temps (up to 4 minutes @ less than 700 degrees :o) than many other forum members.

I have tried several mods to my BS and think I may have found a simple way to achieve the top vs bottom balance for whatever style(s) of pizza one might be making. If it works out I will post the method with some pics.

-Crispy

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
My tank was my own, filled by the local lawn & garden company so I think it was "full" which I understand is really about 18 gallons.

I have one of those gauges and find it to be 100% unreliable! ???

Interesting that you mention the "roar", the degree of which I use to measure the gas rate rather than stoop over to look at the lines around the knob. My experience is that it will roar until the last minute of usable gas. I do not have it on full as this would bring my Black Stone into the 900 degree range which is much too hot! I just kept track of the sessions/pies until the tank ran out.

My biggest issue has been balancing the top and bottom temperatures to get the color I want on the underside with the desired doneness of the top of each pie. I should say that I make "NY Style" pizzas and not Napoletano. As a result I cook my pies longer and at perhaps somewhat lower temps (up to 4 minutes @ less than 700 degrees :o) than many other forum members.

I have tried several mods to my BS and think I may have found a simple way to achieve the top vs bottom balance for whatever style(s) of pizza one might be making. If it works out I will post the method with some pics.

-Crispy

Crispy, any pics of your NY style pies?

I've tried to do a longer bake too, but have not dialed in the top/bottom temps yet.
My first pie, which was a 2 minute Neo style, seemed easier to cook evenly.

Charles

Offline Crispy Please

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »
Crispy, any pics of your NY style pies?

I've tried to do a longer bake too, but have not dialed in the top/bottom temps yet.
My first pie, which was a 2 minute Neo style, seemed easier to cook evenly.

Here are

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »
Thanks...those look pretty good!
Charles