A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Temp control on WFOs  (Read 895 times)

Offline VivaSirena

Temp control on WFOs
« on: March 02, 2016, 05:32:23 PM »
Newbie question.  I've never owned or operated a  WFO.

If I bought/built one,  but I want to cook both Neapolitan pies in the usual 800-900 floor temp range, but also NY Street slices in the ~600F floor range (that's how I do it anyway),   how easy is temperature control using wood only in that scenario.  To me it would be challenging to manage two different temp regimes consistently, but I have no idea.

Thanks
Matt

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Temp control on WFOs
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 06:01:56 PM »
Do you mean make both NY and NP foe the same meal/party/etc? If so, you could probably do both with a low-mass oven like the Pizza Party. It would be much more difficult, if not impossible, with an oven with more mass that is slow to heat and cool.

If you mean make NP on some days and NY on others, yes, you can control the temperature. It's just a matter of managing the fire. That being said, it may only do one particularly well. For example, if your deck conductivity is balanced for 850F+, if may not be conductive enough at 600F.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline VivaSirena

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 06:38:51 PM »
Do you mean make both NY and NP foe the same meal/party/etc? If so, you could probably do both with a low-mass oven like the Pizza Party. It would be much more difficult, if not impossible, with an oven with more mass that is slow to heat and cool.

If you mean make NP on some days and NY on others, yes, you can control the temperature. It's just a matter of managing the fire. That being said, it may only do one particularly well. For example, if your deck conductivity is balanced for 850F+, if may not be conductive enough at 600F.

Thanks.  PP oven is exactly what I've been mulling over.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »
You can do it.  I usually start with a couple of Neapolitans, then let it cool down while we eat those and have a beverage or 2 and then do more NYish pies.  You do have to do it like that though, hot pies first then cool pies, not the other way around.  My oven is small though.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 11:34:14 AM »
When I had my Forno Bravo I use to do it like Tom but you can definitely do it the other way as well.  If the kids were hungry and wanted to eat right away I would do a few NY pie as the oven was heating up.  Just load the pie at the temp you want and keep a small fire going.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:06:53 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline old_alex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 03:40:09 PM »
Sorry to say but if you want both NY and Neapolitan in a short space of time, your best bet it a Blackstone (gas with a rotating stone very popular and more forgiving than a WFO, no turning better temp control, $300 on the net check out the thread). Cook your NY then crank it up to get your Neapolitan.

I bake my desert pizzas (apple or chocolate) at about 550-575, then crank it up for Neapolitan. It should take less than 10 min to go from 600-800F+ I cook mine (at about 800F).   

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 09:26:01 PM »
I have done the same. First the NP,then as the temp naturally falls,New York style. I check the temp with a pyrometer. If necessary, I will quickly brush the deck with a dampened brass brush. I have also placed a short piece of angle iron between the fire and pizza as my oven is not that big. I did the NP-New York routine
 during last years baking season and was pleased with the results. It is the best of both worlds.

bakerbill