A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Started another oven project. French gueulard.  (Read 1156 times)

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

Started another oven project. French gueulard.
« on: January 15, 2017, 02:13:17 PM »
Sort of off topic, but hey, dough!
So I'm building a little bakery in my barn, to that end I bought this old gueulard oven in France which I'm dismantling and rebuilding. It's for bread, but still, thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

Stuff that surprised me: they just piled a ton, or rather 5 tons, of sand on top of the oven as mass?, insulation?, all of the above?

They used two types of bricks, the curved one on the bottom and than these tongue and groove bricks, which they put one way leading from the curved brick to the 'flat' oven roof and than the other way in the oven roof.

Dismantling is a breeze thanks to the mortar not being hard, it seems the used this refractory clay/mortar/thing to mason the bottom of the bricks in place, and then just piled tons of lime (which I'm sure was lime slurry at the time) to fill up all the gaps and crevices, kinda like Ferrara does.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Started another oven project. French gueulard.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 03:25:37 PM »
looks beautiful!!  can't wait to see it when you're done!! 
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:34:18 PM »
Wow, that is awesome.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:17:56 PM »
The sand is what they call grog from my past reading, many European ovens are still built this way including le Panyol per their European install instructions.  Neapolitan ovens are very similar.  It takes a long time to get hot, but once it does its like mass.  Rebuild the modern way.  As much modern mass as you want then modern insulation. 

Is that the fire box in the bottom left?  Looks a lot like a scotch oven with all the doors, so much so I wonder if it was built with readily available scotch oven parts
-Jeff

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:30:18 AM »
The sand is what they call grog from my past reading, many European ovens are still built this way including le Panyol per their European install instructions.  Neapolitan ovens are very similar.  It takes a long time to get hot, but once it does its like mass.  Rebuild the modern way.  As much modern mass as you want then modern insulation. 

Is that the fire box in the bottom left?  Looks a lot like a scotch oven with all the doors, so much so I wonder if it was built with readily available scotch oven parts

Rebuilding the modern way was the plan, I'm re-using the bricks though, what do you mean with modern mass? I was thinking of using sand again (though not as much)

The firebox on the left, I actually have no idea what it's for other than reheating this cauldron that's above it, and I don't know what that's for either. The niche above that I think was just to put thing that need a little heat like to melt butter.  The surprising thing is, the big door underneath the oven door isn't actually the firebox but wood storage. The little door to the right of the oven door is the firebox, the flame than getting swirled around in the oven and exiting on the front left of the oven, though in total there where 5 'ouras' (dampers)  spread over the oven you can open and close with these levers. I'm rebuilding it with the firebox underneath and a proper gueulard though, try to throw in some rocket stove principles for wood economy.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 03:32:42 AM »
Oh and the big metal box above the firebox on the right is just to heat water I think. Which then could be used to put in that little cup next to it, which went to a metal box in the oven to provide steam.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 09:18:54 AM »
This'll be an interesting project to watch!
When we build, let us think that we build forever.
John Ruskin

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 11:06:45 AM »
This'll be an interesting project to watch!

^^^ any updates?

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 05:40:28 AM »
Fraid not, I'm travelling a lot lately  :(

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 04:07:28 PM »

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 08:43:48 PM »
Looks like it's coming together
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 09:38:38 PM »
Such a cool project! Way out of my league and/but I really admire your passion. How much sand did you end up using?
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream