Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by NinoDel on 25 Nov 2017
  • Purchased a used P44s-BL.  Couple stones are cracked.  Only replacements I have found are well over $100 per stone.

The oven will be for home use.  Is there a cheaper option that will work the same as what is already in there.

Thank you
  • #2 by norcoscia on 25 Nov 2017
  • If you were lucky enough to find a brick lined model (BL) there should be stones above and below where the pie cooks. Are the top stones broken or is it the one(s) you cook the pizza on?

You can buy lots of different types - if you do decide to replace the one you cook the pizza on I would try to do a test bake with the ones you have to see if you would be happier with stones that cook a bit faster or slower than the ones BP puts in from the factory - I think (not 100% sure) BP uses Cordierite Stones.

I'll be out of pocket most of the day but if you need more info there are lots of experts here to help....
  • #3 by NinoDel on 25 Nov 2017
  • Thanks for the response.  1 top stone for heat, and 2 bottom ones where the pies set on to cook are broken.  Not sure if its safe to cook where top one is cracked, where debris might fallon a pie.

What stones would cook faster?

• #4 by norma427 on 25 Nov 2017
  • Thanks for the response.  1 top stone for heat, and 2 bottom ones where the pies set on to cook are broken.  Not sure if its safe to cook where top one is cracked, where debris might fallon a pie.

What stones would cook faster?

NinoDel,

You might want to look at the thread I started about a cracked stone.  Tom Lehmann said it okay to bake on cracked stones.  I did for awhile till I got a new one.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=48976.0

Norma
  • #5 by norcoscia on 25 Nov 2017
  • I don't know if anything will fall - but (I assume) removing the top broken stone should not be an issue since they make the same oven w/o brick lining.

Cordierite stones are very good, most other stones are not as thermally conductive - but I think soapstone is faster, so is steel (of course) and I think silicon carbide is faster (link discussing silicon carbide below). But faster is not always better - it depends on the type of pie(s) you want to make and the temp you want to cook at for your recipe(s).

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7066.msg60711#msg60711
Pages:
Actions