Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by DoouBall on 31 Aug 2019
  • I found a few recipes that call for high hydration dough in the 70-75% range for round pizza. These recipes indicate keeping the dough balls in the fridge for about 5-6 hours after a long bulk ferment and then cooking either directly from fridge to oven or after only a 15-30 minute rest at room temperature.

I can see how this might benefit a high hydration dough because it will make it easier to shape such a wet dough, and may result in higher oven spring (some folks baking Tartine style loaves report that baking directly from retarded loaf in fridge to dutch oven gives them higher oven spring).

However, I'm concerned that the thermal shock of cooking a cold pizza dough on a hot stone might crack the stone. Is this a legitimate concern, or is the small difference between fridge dough at 40F and room temp at 70F make no difference to an oven stone that is substantially hotter at 700-750F? Thanks!!!
  • #2 by TXCraig1 on 31 Aug 2019
  • No risk at all. You can drop a fully-heated cordierite stone into a bath of cold water and it won't crack - not that I'm suggesting you try it.
  • #3 by TXCraig1 on 31 Aug 2019
  • #4 by DoouBall on 31 Aug 2019
  • Thanks Craig, you're the man, as always! Would you happen to know if the original stone in Blackstone is cordierite?
Pages:
Actions