A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Taylor Ham Pizza in New Jersey  (Read 437 times)

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
Taylor Ham Pizza in New Jersey
« on: January 25, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »
Taylor ham isn't ham. Its a close relative of baloney. It can only be found in New Jersey.

Discuss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll

http://www.roi-nj.com/2017/11/20/lifestyle/celebrity-chef-samuelsson-opens-first-n-j-restaurant-in-newark/

Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Re: Taylor Ham Pizza in New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 04:49:44 PM »
Funny to see Taylor Ham discovered by chic pizzerias.  I have been using it as a topping for years and think NYC discovered it recently.  My chef friend called it span on steroids when I turned him on to it.  People from NYC use to make fun of me all the time being from Jersey- so sorry to hear that, who the hell would live there, etc........  Now I get back at them as we get lots of NYC transplants/visitors come in.  They let me know they are from NY and want real pie.  I tell them I am from NJ and they usually give me one of those put down lines.  I respond there is a dominos a mile away and go knock yourself out :)  It is all in fun now but growing up outside NYC I took it personal and fired back some NY garbage.  I found food to be as good in the Newark NJ area as NYC without the hassles of tunnels, bridges, parking, high prices.   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:55:50 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:11:09 PM »
Funny to see Taylor Ham discovered by chic pizzerias.  I have been using it as a topping for years and think NYC discovered it recently.  My chef friend called it span on steroids when I turned him on to it.  People from NYC use to make fun of me all the time being from Jersey- so sorry to hear that, who the hell would live there, etc........  Now I get back at them as we get lots of NYC transplants/visitors come in.  They let me know they are from NY and want real pie.  I tell them I am from NJ and they usually give me one of those put down lines.  I respond there is a dominos a mile away and go knock yourself out :)  It is all in fun now but growing up outside NYC I took it personal and fired back some NY garbage.  I found food to be as good in the Newark NJ area as NYC without the hassles of tunnels, bridges, parking, high prices.

That's what I was going to say, closer to SPAM, in a casing instead of a can. Love them all btw!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:04:23 PM »
Taylor ham isn't ham. Its a close relative of baloney. It can only be found in New Jersey.

^^ Three sentences which don't exactly compel me to try Taylor Ham.^^

Rolls

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 07:18:18 PM »

Rolls

Yeah, well, peameal bacon isn't bacon.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »
Yeah, well, peameal bacon isn't bacon.

...nor is it rolled in peameal any longer.

Rolls

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 10:38:24 PM »

Rolls

You don't  like bologna or spam!?!? Go to confession, 10 Hail Mary's, 10 Our Father's, prone yourself.....SINNER!!!!!😂😄😎
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 11:25:19 PM »
You don't  like bologna or spam!?!? Go to confession, 10 Hail Mary's, 10 Our Father's, prone yourself.....SINNER!!!!!😂😄😎

Mea Culpa, Mea culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa!  :-D

Actually, I'm no food snob when it comes to processed meats and rather enjoy certain products (hot dogs, mortadella pepperoni etc.).  It's just that, if I knew nothing about Taylor Ham (I'm actually familiar with it), and only heard the 3 statements from the OP, I wouldn't exactly get excited about trying some.  I meant no disrespect to the state of New Jersey, its people, or its processed pork products :-[

Rolls

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 08:26:23 AM »
No saltpepperketchup on that pie?

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 08:11:17 PM »
No saltpepperketchup on that pie?

Well, how about this. I would take a taste...I think.
http://digg.com/video/ketchup-mustard-cake

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »
Well, how about this. I would take a taste...I think.
http://digg.com/video/ketchup-mustard-cake

I'd try it, but someone else would have to bake it. Didn't look like too much ketchup in the recipe but there was a good amount of mustard in that frosting. A first glance at the opening image made me think in was meatloaf layers with some kind of mustard glaze.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 07:47:57 PM »
Many brands to choose from for this particular delicacy
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:54:57 PM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »
Btw Lauren Scala is an angel
Have a Dangerous day!