A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sweets and Desserts  (Read 13472 times)

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Sweets and Desserts
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2018, 08:42:08 PM »
My first attempt at Canelles. Sure not as pretty as Bills! They did taste really good though.
Hans

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #221 on: January 24, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
Hans,

Well done, especially for your first attempt.  I think the key to this dessert are the copper molds which are very expensive unfortunately.  Have you ever been to the Dehillerin shop in your travels through Paris?  I'm sure you could find a good selection there but I have no idea on current pricing.

Rolls

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #222 on: January 24, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »
Hans,

Well done, especially for your first attempt.  I think the key to this dessert are the copper molds which are very expensive unfortunately.  Have you ever been to the Dehillerin shop in your travels through Paris?  I'm sure you could find a good selection there but I have no idea on current pricing.

Rolls

Thanks Rolls. I did get a few things at Dehillerin but I ended up getting the de Buyer silicone mold at BHV Marais as I didn't know how committed I'd be to baking sweets.
Hans

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2018, 07:31:21 PM »
Pastéis de Nata Portuguese Egg Tarts (inspired by Phil)

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »
Pastéis de Nata Portuguese Egg Tarts (inspired by Phil)

I just had them for the first time in Lisbon. Yours look better!
Hans

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #225 on: February 04, 2018, 09:40:21 PM »
I've got those caneles on my list too.  Here's my first attempt at the Kouign Amann. 

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #226 on: February 04, 2018, 11:06:24 PM »
I've got those caneles on my list too.  Here's my first attempt at the Kouign Amann.

Wow Chau!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #227 on: February 05, 2018, 05:03:26 AM »
I just had them for the first time in Lisbon. Yours look better!

hans, you can also find them in NYC's chinatowns, they are excellent. My favorite place is tai pan in manhattan and flushng though one could make an argument for the Flushing Bakery. good pizza nearby as well, flushing has amore pizza and tai pan manhattan isn't all that far a walk from prince st.

we live close to a small portugese community, two 20-year olds had a pretty good run with a portugese bakery and coffeehouse, I was probably there 3 times a week. Unfortunately, rent was too high and they didn't make it. anyhow, they made the best I've ever tasted, I was so sad to see them close. If interested, they shot a video of their goods included the portugese tarts:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:07:58 AM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #228 on: February 05, 2018, 09:02:52 AM »
hans, you can also find them in NYC's chinatowns, they are excellent. My favorite place is tai pan in manhattan and flushng though one could make an argument for the Flushing Bakery. good pizza nearby as well, flushing has amore pizza and tai pan manhattan isn't all that far a walk from prince st.

we live close to a small portugese community, two 20-year olds had a pretty good run with a portugese bakery and coffeehouse, I was probably there 3 times a week. Unfortunately, rent was too high and they didn't make it. anyhow, they made the best I've ever tasted, I was so sad to see them close. If interested, they shot a video of their goods included the portugese tarts:

Thanks, I've had egg tarts in Flushing after way too many dumplings. Tai Pan is on my list!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:09:01 AM by HBolte »
Hans