A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 238596 times)

Offline halfprice

Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #3680 on: May 11, 2017, 01:26:35 AM »
Mitch,
Thats why i put the shaped proofed dough on parchment paper.   Easy to put in the do without worrying about getting burnt.

Jerry

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3681 on: May 11, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
Love those DO's. I just have a good old Lodge cast iron 4 qt. But I've sure heard great things about their combo cooker too..in fact, in this thread  (Hi  MItch!)   Sometimes I use parchment, and probably should more often
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:39:21 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3682 on: May 11, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »
I've heard several others says good things about the combo cooker. Wish I had heard about it before devoting our only enameled cast iron DO to bread. It's a sight but small price to pay for the bread it turns out. I have a camping type DO with short legs on it in the basement. Have had it for years and didn't think about it when I started baking bread in a DO. Dumb.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3683 on: May 12, 2017, 04:46:40 PM »
After mismeasuring and having to toss my  first version of this, figured I'd better get back on the horse. Walnut Tartine-ish/Forskish-ish. 90% GMFS, 10% KAWW, 80%HR, levain at 80HR  DO Bake.  Thanks for looking

Online norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3684 on: May 12, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »
Wow, nice job, Bill, - that looks perfect  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Norm

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3685 on: May 12, 2017, 05:02:17 PM »
Thanks Norm...in Forkish's book, he said it's best toasted and that's true..really brings out the flavors. Actually this is part Ken Forkish, a bit of Chad Robertson, some Tim, a dash  of Trevor Wilson....and me? Nah, I just toasted it  :)

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3686 on: May 13, 2017, 05:43:47 PM »
Here's a good one for the Thread of Shame but it's not pizza. My Mother's Day panettone fell out of the mold while cooling upside down.
Tim

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3687 on: May 13, 2017, 07:27:32 PM »
Here's a good one for the Thread of Shame but it's not pizza. My Mother's Day panettone fell out of the mold while cooling upside down.
Whoops. Maybe you can stick it back together with butter.  ;D  Guessing it will be delicious and appreciated.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3688 on: May 13, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »
Whoops. Maybe you can stick it back together with butter.  ;D  Guessing it will be delicious and appreciated.

I wish there was something left to stick together. This happened in the first 15 minutes of cooling. All that's left is what you see, the rest fell on the floor. Good thing I had the dog out or he would have had a field day!
Tim

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3689 on: May 13, 2017, 09:31:50 PM »

Fill that bad boy with maple walnut ice cream and pretend you knew what you were doing.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3690 on: May 14, 2017, 02:11:46 PM »
Made a sandwich loaf and a pan of cinnamon rolls with my sandwich roll formula.

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3691 on: May 15, 2017, 10:21:15 PM »
A couple of 40% whole grain loaves.
Tim

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3692 on: May 15, 2017, 11:45:31 PM »
You guys are making the best looking breads! 

Online norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3693 on: May 16, 2017, 08:24:28 AM »
Tim, spectacular looking loaves (as usual) - I really need to get back to making some bread - fun and so so much better than 99.99% of what I can get near my home.

I know you said you are using a Dutch Oven, I think you said 5qt - for that size loaf / chamber, do you know about how may grams your finished dough ball weighs?

I have a crazy idea to put one of my pizza stones in my new smoker along with a SS mixing bowl lid - set it to 500 degrees and then slide in a proofed loaf and cover. I don't think I have seen anyone here try that so likely a stupid idea but I can not think of a reason it would not work.

If it does work -- I can attach a cabinet door handle to the top of the stainless mixing bowl and it would be a dream to load, cover and cook compared to a heavy cast iron Dutch Oven and not a fragile as a clay / stone Dutch Oven setup.

PS. Patent pending :-D
Norm

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3694 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:14 AM »
Norm, not a stupid idea, it' a fairly common technique in bread baking. You can keep the bowl over for the first 30 minutes, then remove to finish the bake. I use about 850-1000g in the DO.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:39:21 AM by HBolte »
Hans

Online norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3695 on: May 16, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
Thanks Hans - BTW, I have done the kabuki with a cast iron DO many times, many many years back - it was a tense dangerous few seconds which I would not want to do after drinking a glass of wine. Also, glad to hear my idea is not stupid since my stupid idea to good idea ratio is really not that impressive :-)
Norm

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3696 on: May 16, 2017, 09:12:21 AM »
Tim, spectacular looking loaves (as usual) - I really need to get back to making some bread - fun and so so much better than 99.99% of what I can get near my home.

I know you said you are using a Dutch Oven, I think you said 5qt - for that size loaf / chamber, do you know about how may grams your finished dough ball weighs?

Thanks Norm! These were a little bigger than usual for me at 700 grams each. Normally I make 600 gram loaves.
Tim

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3697 on: May 19, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »
Too much time went by without a fresh bread - so I had a bakeathon yesterday.

Hamburger buns and hot dog buns made with my newest fad - the KA potato hamburgerbun recipe.  Followed by a batch of Struan dough baked into a loaf and some rolls.

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3698 on: May 19, 2017, 07:52:04 PM »
Too much time went by without a fresh bread - so I had a bakeathon yesterday.

Hamburger buns and hot dog buns made with my newest fad - the KA potato hamburgerbun recipe.  Followed by a batch of Struan dough baked into a loaf and some rolls.

Where's the burgers and dogs?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans