A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Hermit's Pizza Fare  (Read 21215 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Hermit's Pizza Fare
« Reply #480 on: May 16, 2017, 07:05:03 AM »
Definite possibilities. I'm still wondering whether a good part of this is how you made this last dough. I took another look at the PJ clone you did recently (reply 413, link below). That was same oven location, same temp, and 1 extra minute, and the result was significantly less browning on the top and bottom. That one looked more like what I expect from a 7 min  500 degree bake, but you may have something really going with the latest dough formula.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=46120.msg479778#msg479778
Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #481 on: May 16, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »
Definite possibilities. I'm still wondering whether a good part of this is how you made this last dough. I took another look at the PJ clone you did recently (reply 413, link below). That was same oven location, same temp, and 1 extra minute, and the result was significantly less browning on the top and bottom. That one looked more like what I expect from a 7 min  500 degree bake, but you may have something really going with the latest dough formula.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=46120.msg479778#msg479778

Could be the browning agents, honey, oil, & LDM speeding things up.

Lately I've pulled out all my additional browning agents which seems to help keep the top and bottom bake relatively even, to the point my only main variable regarding "doneness" is oven/stone temp.

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #482 on: May 17, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »
I reballed one of the doughs about 20H prior to bake.  It kept a fairly relaxed state while in CF even after reball.  I brought the dough out to RT for about 3.5 hrs at 64F.

Stretched the skin, it was still easily getting away from me even after reballing so this dough for sure is going to need lower hydration.  Still struggling with low spots in the stretch.  I topped the skin with 4oz of the same sauce as last time, 0.5oz of tillamook extra sharp white cheddar, 4oz of boars head LMWM mozz, and 0.5oz of GV WM mozz, then a bunch of boars head pepperoni, pizza a casa sausage, white mushrooms, and fresh jalapeno.  Finished with a large pinch of reggiano pre-bake.

Pizza was baked on screen in 475F oven, 2nd from top rack for 9m.

The flavor of the dough really is starting to show up now, this is what I was getting with a similar recipe a few weeks back.  I need to reduce the hydration and try again.  Overall I think I get the flavor and texture that I like with this combination of ingredients.  Sadly the DMP is really an over-performer in the browning dept so I need to look at reducing that some without losing that nice flavor it brings.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #483 on: May 17, 2017, 10:05:30 PM »
Nice one Hermit!

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #484 on: May 19, 2017, 09:44:20 PM »
Here's the last dough from this batch.  4 day CF.  Great flavor, I stretched the skin after 2h RT of 63F.  Was much easier to manage.  The reballing seems to impart extra air in the dough.

I used 4oz of sauce, 5oz of GV WM mozz, and a pinch of reggiano pre bake.  Baked on screen in oven at 450F for 10m.

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #485 on: May 20, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
New batch of dough, less water and DMP.  Everything else left the same.  Mixed everything but the salt and yeast by hand and letting it rest for 2H, then will add in the salt and yeast, then begin CF.

KABF (100%):
Water (58%):
IDY (0.19%):
Sea Salt (2%):
Corn Oil (2%):
Honey (4%):
DMP 60-lintner (0.15%):
Total (166.34%):
Single Ball:
462.62 g
268.32 g
0.88 g
9.25 g
9.25 g
18.5 g
0.69 g
769.51 g | 27.14 oz | 1.7 lbs | TF = 0.08
256.5 g | 9.05 oz | 0.57 lbs

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #486 on: May 21, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »
First round of dough, 24H CF + 6H RT.  stretched very well, no issues.  Perhaps slightly underproofed, but close.  I may have let it go 7H at RT.

Giving the shur fine whole peeled tomatoes another shot.  I used 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper.  Really good sauce flavor, made sure to cook down the juice and blend it in on chop speed on my blender.  About 10 seconds and it was done.  Nice saucy/small chunk consistency.

Topped pizza with 3oz of sauce, 4.5oz of GV WM mozz slices, boars head pepperoni, black olives, green onion feta cheese and reggiano,  Baked at 475F on screen for 10m on 2nd from top rack.  Got a decent stretch this time.  Think the reduction in DMP allows for a longer bake but the pizza did seem a bit more crunchy than crispy as I prefer.  Might try and drop the temp a little more.  The cheese melt seemed really good with this.  Borderline too salty with the topping choices.

Crust flavor is decent at 24H.

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2017, 09:19:08 PM »
First round of dough, 24H CF + 6H RT.  stretched very well, no issues.  Perhaps slightly underproofed, but close.  I may have let it go 7H at RT.

Giving the shur fine whole peeled tomatoes another shot.  I used 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper.  Really good sauce flavor, made sure to cook down the juice and blend it in on chop speed on my blender.  About 10 seconds and it was done.  Nice saucy/small chunk consistency.

Topped pizza with 3oz of sauce, 4.5oz of GV WM mozz slices, boars head pepperoni, black olives, green onion feta cheese and reggiano,  Baked at 475F on screen for 10m on 2nd from top rack.  Got a decent stretch this time.  Think the reduction in DMP allows for a longer bake but the pizza did seem a bit more crunchy than crispy as I prefer.  Might try and drop the temp a little more.  The cheese melt seemed really good with this.  Borderline too salty with the topping choices.

Crust flavor is decent at 24H.

Love it, Hermit! :chef:   Oiled rim?
Jeff

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #488 on: May 22, 2017, 12:28:23 PM »
Love it, Hermit! :chef:   Oiled rim?

Thanks jvp123!  Sorta, I open my skins on the counter with oil, then use the oily side of the skin for the top.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #489 on: May 22, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
That pie looks awesome Hermit!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #490 on: May 24, 2017, 09:12:38 PM »
Thanks jvp123!  Sorta, I open my skins on the counter with oil, then use the oily side of the skin for the top.

How do you like opening the dough in oil? In one of Norma's videos, Frank said that once you learn how to use oil, you'll never go back to flour because it's faster. I was just observing Rose's pizzeria in penn station, and saw them open a dough in oil.
Matt

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #491 on: May 24, 2017, 09:37:02 PM »
How do you like opening the dough in oil? In one of Norma's videos, Frank said that once you learn how to use oil, you'll never go back to flour because it's faster. I was just observing Rose's pizzeria in penn station, and saw them open a dough in oil.

Yep that's one of the videos I watched before I started to really work on ny style pizzas, it makes it easier but I would like to try it with flour again I have a feeling I may prefer the overall elasticity of the dough in the stretch.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #492 on: May 24, 2017, 09:37:44 PM »

I don't know, Ive seen the video and done it too, but IMO oil can actually be sticky and kind of glue the pie to the work surface. Or at least my work surface.

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #493 on: May 26, 2017, 12:41:51 AM »
Last dough of the batch, baked on top rack on screen at 475F for 9m.  Pizza was topped with 3.5oz sauce, 0.5oz sharp white cheddar, 4oz of WM mozz, sausage, rehydrated portabelos and reggiano pre bake.

Also some PJ clone breadsticks =)

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #494 on: May 30, 2017, 09:37:32 AM »
Another new batch of dough, 3x 12" 0.08TF.  Trying butter instead of corn oil, thinking I should have dropped the hydration a hair and increased the butter a little bit.  I thought I read somewhere that butter is about 20% water?

One of the doughs for tonight.  I am doing a 2H autolyse like i did last time, it seems to help smooth the dough out.

KABF (100%):
Water (58%):
IDY (0.19%):
Sea Salt (2%):
Butter (2%):
Honey (4%):
DMP 60-lintner (0.15%):
Total (166.34%):
Single Ball:
462.62 g
268.32 g
0.88 g
9.25 g
9.25 g
18.5 g
0.69 g
769.51 g | 27.14 oz | 1.7 lbs | TF = 0.08
256.5 g | 9.05 oz | 0.57 lbs

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #495 on: May 30, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »
Are you going to bake on stone or screen?

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #496 on: May 30, 2017, 03:24:37 PM »
I am going to keep going on a screen for now as I've not found too much difference in my bakes.

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #497 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:44 PM »
Dough #1 with butter.  Didn't really notice any performance difference or flavor.  Crust had a nice crunch to it on the rim.  I gotta work on my stretch or bump my TF up.  I struggle with low spots on almost every pie anymore.  Maybe I should drop the hydration down some.  Straight RT (70F) is almost too warm to open without going too far.

Pizza was topped with 3.5oz of some mystery freezer ny style sauce, 0.5oz sharp white cheddar, 4oz of GV WM mozz, fresh jalapenos, black olive, hard salami, pepperoni, green onion, feta, and reggiano.  Baked at 475F on screen for 9.5m, last 2m with broiler on full.

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #498 on: June 01, 2017, 12:19:42 PM »
Dough #1 with butter.  Didn't really notice any performance difference or flavor.  Crust had a nice crunch to it on the rim.  I gotta work on my stretch or bump my TF up.  I struggle with low spots on almost every pie anymore.  Maybe I should drop the hydration down some.  Straight RT (70F) is almost too warm to open without going too far.

Pizza was topped with 3.5oz of some mystery freezer ny style sauce, 0.5oz sharp white cheddar, 4oz of GV WM mozz, fresh jalapenos, black olive, hard salami, pepperoni, green onion, feta, and reggiano.  Baked at 475F on screen for 9.5m, last 2m with broiler on full.

Nice one, Hermit!  :chef:
Jeff

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #499 on: June 01, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
Dough #2, flavor is getting there, too bad it's not spot on in 2 days.  The next doughball is the best one =)

This was just a 4 cheese pizza.  I did something different this time and opened the skin nearly completely on the counter with oil.  I think it had some adverse affects as I got some large bubbles that formed during bake.  I guess some trapped air in there.  I used 3.5oz of sauce, 0.5oz extra sharp white cheddar, 4.5oz of WM mozz, a few pinches of feta crumbles and reggiano on top.  Baked on screen at 450F for 10m.

wordpress