A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: South Side Thin Crust..  (Read 23367 times)

Offline vic311

• I Love Pizza!
Re: South Side Thin Crust..
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2017, 02:16:33 PM »
Here is the thread where PizzaGarage first talked about his V&N clone recipe:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36661.0

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2017, 02:53:29 PM »
Here is the thread where PizzaGarage first talked about his V&N clone recipe:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36661.0
vic311,

Thank you for pointing that out. I have added PizzaGarage's post on his V&N clone to the list I referenced earlier today.

Peter

Offline vic311

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2017, 02:54:40 PM »
Thanks Peter!

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »
What's really scary is the old school places that use milk and eggs then bulk ferment for extended periods of time.  I certainly would't want to eat the raw dough and better hope that after 12 or 24 hours that crust gets cooked all the way.  I used to be "Pizza Manager" at a place in Dekalb IL while going thru college and they had an amazing Pan pizza and "beer nuggets".  The dough was made in 50 lb batches and had 8 eggs, 1 pitcher of oil,  and 1 gallon of milk (whole) per batch.  Dough was made in the am then dumped in big bins.  They fermented all day and at close (10pm week days and 11pm weekends) into the walk in cooler the tubs went.  Dough sat in kitchen heat temps (80+) for like 14 hours.  Once in the cooler you know it's still warm and getting more dangerous through out the night.  Then, using that same dough by hand and making pizza's....never got sick that I remember....lol.  But have to say, the pan pizza was really great....

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2017, 04:02:11 PM »
Here is a fun site - all about the Chicago Pizza and the places around Chicago with reviews. 

http://www.pizzaclubchicago.com/

58 reviews so far and #50 is V&N.   Pizzacastle seems to be one of their favorites in the most recent review.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2017, 06:26:02 PM »
What's really scary is the old school places that use milk and eggs then bulk ferment for extended periods of time.  I certainly would't want to eat the raw dough and better hope that after 12 or 24 hours that crust gets cooked all the way.  I used to be "Pizza Manager" at a place in Dekalb IL while going thru college and they had an amazing Pan pizza and "beer nuggets".  The dough was made in 50 lb batches and had 8 eggs, 1 pitcher of oil,  and 1 gallon of milk (whole) per batch.  Dough was made in the am then dumped in big bins.  They fermented all day and at close (10pm week days and 11pm weekends) into the walk in cooler the tubs went.  Dough sat in kitchen heat temps (80+) for like 14 hours.  Once in the cooler you know it's still warm and getting more dangerous through out the night.  Then, using that same dough by hand and making pizza's....never got sick that I remember....lol.  But have to say, the pan pizza was really great....
i had those beer nuggets in dekalb, back in early 90s!  they were awesome!  do you remember how they were made?  what was the dough? i was told it was different than pizza dough?  were they then deep fried and dusted???  thanks Pizzagarage!  i have been looking for this for years!!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »
Here's a really interesting, old school midwestern-style thin crust recipe that uses milk and eggs: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15203.msg160388.html#msg160388

As for the V&N lady trying to hide her secret recipe -- NO WAY!   :chef:. Running a successful business isnt about having secret recipes, it's knowing how to run a business.  Anyone can replicate anything, few can turn that into a successful restaurant.  McDonakds published their big Mac recipe decades ago and even recently posted a video on their website showing how to make it.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2017, 07:49:15 AM »
As for the V&N lady trying to hide her secret recipe -- NO WAY!   :chef:. Running a successful business isnt about having secret recipes, it's knowing how to run a business.  Anyone can replicate anything, few can turn that into a successful restaurant.  McDonakds published their big Mac recipe decades ago and even recently posted a video on their website showing how to make it.

I agree with you, although we've seen plenty of Chicago pizza people throw out "red herrings" regarding cornmeal and everything else, so it's *possible* the milk could be a lie.  But as for everything else, you're spot on.  Being a good cook and being a successful restaurateur are two completely different skill sets. 

I'd even take this logic further, outside of the commercial realm, and say that there is no reason *not* to share recipes among people in general--because most people won't go through the trouble of making the recipe even once (!), let alone start a business and make a fortune off it.  There are some people who act like their own recipes or family recipes are some big secret.  I hate people like that.  I mean, if it is a family *business*, fair enough.  But the jagoff at the potluck who won't tell you what's in his potato salad?  There is no excuse for that.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
yeah...i agree.  i was disappointed by a lifelong friend whose father i was also great friends with, his father has long passed and he had his own italian sausage recipe that i loved.  i asked him for it because i was making homeade sausage (grinding a pork shoulder ourselves and trying our best) and he wouldn't give it to me....i know his father if he was still around would have...i mean i have been in Idaho now for over 2 decades....do i own a restaurant?  no!  am i going to make money off it?? no!!.....funny....and disappointing.....
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »
I agree with you, although we've seen plenty of Chicago pizza people throw out "red herrings" regarding cornmeal and everything else, so it's *possible* the milk could be a lie.  But as for everything else, you're spot on.  Being a good cook and being a successful restaurateur are two completely different skill sets. 

I'd even take this logic further, outside of the commercial realm, and say that there is no reason *not* to share recipes among people in general--because most people won't go through the trouble of making the recipe even once (!), let alone start a business and make a fortune off it.  There are some people who act like their own recipes or family recipes are some big secret.  I hate people like that.  I mean, if it is a family *business*, fair enough.  But the jagoff at the potluck who won't tell you what's in his potato salad?  There is no excuse for that.

Couldn't agree with you more Garvey!  :chef:

wordpress