A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: messing around in the uuni  (Read 2602 times)

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
Re: messing around in the uuni
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »
Hey! I tried another one the other day, it was a better result I think, I changed some of my techniques while baking but I am not sure I can do much more, I don't know how you get that really pale looking crust with the really black looking blisters, mine tends to look a bit more brown like you see in the picture but this last pizza I made wasn't bad looking at all. Maybe its just my recipe or my hydration that are doing these things, who knows. Of course it would help if I had a real WFO but I cant complain, at least I can make a margherita at home.

Please keep adding pictures as I think the pizzas in this thread look so good and help me on improving my own, plus I am very interested in the UUNI simply because I think it is a really nice oven, and of course whenever you bake pizzas in your "big boy oven" I am very interested in those as well.

I asked UUNI if the upcoming UUNI pro will have natural gas fitting and they told me they are working on it. This could be a game changer for me, I am big time charcoal/firewood guy, I don't like gas grills, etc. But I only grill about once a month so convinience isn't that big of an issue, plus one can really taste the difference between charcoal and gas. In pizzas however, baking 1 minute pizzas with wood or gas doesn't make much difference, then you add the fact that I am making pizzas about once a week and convinience starts becoming quite a factor.

Its starting to play with my mind a little bit, if the uuni pro has a natural gas fitting, I may very well get a really nice table for it and install it in my patio as a permanent house item.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:44:38 AM by kuhne »

Offline Stryda

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 06:17:12 PM »
I believe the gas conversion is being released for the 2s as well.
As for the blisters...If i let my dough rise in the kitchen (slightly cooler) I get them, but if I let them rise in the lounge (bit warmer) I don't get them!

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 01:19:26 AM »
That's interesting, i normally take them out of cold ferment 4 hours before use because if I try to stretch them any earlier I simply can't do it. But after those 4 hours the dough isn't cool anymore. It doesn't look bad, it looks like the picture I showed, I just want to experiment with something different to try it out and see if it affects taste

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
I don't know how you get that really pale looking crust with the really black looking blisters, mine tends to look a bit more brown like you see in the picture but this last pizza I made wasn't bad looking at all.

If you just want to do it because it looks cool, that's one thing, but if your goal is great pizza, that high-contrast leoparding is not what you want.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
Hey Craig, I think the current recipe I am using with the way I am baking them is turning out pretty decent pizzas, the one in the picture above tasted great, I was just curious to see if I could get a pizza to look the way some of those with high contrast, even though as you say, whenever I see pizzas coming out of WFOs from famous pizzerias in Naples they normally have more of a brown look and not that pretty spotted white and black pattern.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »
      Kuhne, you make a good point on the pro as its use as a more permanent oven. that might be a good market for them to go after. at 500.00 and the ability to make a pizza up to 17 inches might be a deal. lot of people on the uuni face book forum are making there own gas fired uuni's. using  a weed burner on idle seem to be the closest method to what uuni is planning. i have used a 6 inch low pressure round burner with pretty good results. check out the page for lots of ideas and experimental tweaks   https://www.facebook.com/groups/652135961591112/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:59:01 PM by thezaman »

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 11:24:41 AM »
Thank you all :)

Keep posting those pictures!

Offline jrs86211

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 08:13:33 AM »
Pizza at a brewery I did a week ago. I agree witH Craig that super black spots and pale crust isn't the greatest, I unfortunately do have to cold ferment my dough a bit because I work on a trailer. Anyway I have had pizza with super black leoparding that I have really liked, some not, food is relative what ohe u like I might hate and vice versa, all I know is I cook and serve to the people that buy my pizza is what I want to eat. Pretty simple.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »
that pizza looks perfect!!

Offline jrs86211

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »
Thanks Za!

Just about as half as good as your pies !

Offline jrs86211

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 02:40:10 PM »
A little more leoparding on this guy

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
I love those pictures! Awesome pizzas!