A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Camp  (Read 2408 times)

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Camp
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »
Larry that pizza looks great!
I really like the book. The photos are awesome and there's a number of toppings and cominations I plan on trying soon. I also like that it's a sort of a love letter to Philadelphia and that Joe's personality comes through.
Tim

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 08:39:54 AM »
Well thanks a lot Tim for the glowing review! 

Just when I told myself no more pizza books...  >:(
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:26:38 AM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
Tim, are you the same Tim from Cochon and Square Pie in Philly??? I miss Cochon dearly and still need to get to Square Pie. Beddia himself said in an interview recently how much he likes Square Pie.

I'm very excited to get this book. What a year for pizza books with this and Bianco coming.

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 04:42:27 PM »
Tim, are you the same Tim from Cochon and Square Pie in Philly??? I miss Cochon dearly and still need to get to Square Pie. Beddia himself said in an interview recently how much he likes Square Pie.

I'm very excited to get this book. What a year for pizza books with this and Bianco coming.

My brother Gene is the man behind those spots but I did work at Cochon for a while. Square Pie gets a little shout out in the book too where Joe lists some of his favorite places. I've only been once at the old location because I moved to Chicago just before it opened but it was good stuff.
Tim

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 06:34:23 PM »
Well thanks a lot Tim for the glowing review! 

Just when I told myself no more pizza books...  >:(

Hans, you need something to read when flying around the country. it really is a good book has a nice section on creams,and sandwiches. cannot wait to try the roasted pork hoagie.the pizza recipe seems legit no home oven conversions.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 08:34:46 PM »
so whats actually the book about... is it dough recipes mainly and how to knead the dough or different toppings/combos he likes? The amazon kindle sample didnt show much.

rrpizza,

The book does have a dough recipe.  The water and flour are by weight.  The salt, yeast and oil are in volume measurements.  Also the book tells how to knead the dough with photos and how to dress the pizzas.  Amount of cheese and other things are in the book.  Yes, there are different toppings/combos and how to make them.

Norma

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 10:14:42 PM »
I also count myself as a skeptic of PB, but am happy to have it in my town.

Any operation that is so small by literal design can afford to take steps to ensure quality beyond a more substantial place. Would Beddia be just as "good" if it was as big as Paulie Gee? Could anyone on this forum produce equally great pizza if they only made 40 per night?

Still takes singular dedication and tremendous skill, though.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 07:43:24 AM »
MR,

Have you been there to try it?

PS..re 40 pizzas: Norma makes 40 pizzas on her break...and she doesn't get a break! :-D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:45:06 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 08:09:57 AM »
  Hans, you need something to read when flying around the country. it really is a good book has a nice section on creams,and sandwiches. cannot wait to try the roasted pork hoagie.the pizza recipe seems legit no home oven conversions.

I do Larry! My copy will be here today.
Hans

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
I had it long ago as take out and it was good, but I want to try to go there and eat in as I think that will be a better representation. It wasn't hauntingly good as I find Tacconelli's or even Roberta's pizza to be.

Question about takeout at some new restaurants , including Beddia:

Why are they folding the printing to the inside of the pizza box? Has every other pizza place I've been to done this wrong forever? Pretty sure that isn't foodsafe printing on a pizza box and they go from hot oven to box. I am totally not the kind who gets up in arms about most inevitable restaurant food safety risks, but cheap, pizza box ink is not something I want to ingest. Huge pet peeve especially because he uses the white sided cardboard boxes, but folds them inwards. So much ink I'm surprised he doesn't charge 3 dollars for the extra topping.

Offline IcebergShorty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 01:11:37 PM »
Just got my copy of Joe Beddia's new book Pizza Camp. I've only had the chance to flip through the first few pages but it looks really detailed and very interesting.

New member here, been cooking pizzas for a while, just followed the Beddia recipe last night, very happy! The crust had a great snap.

:D

Offline dineomite

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 10:52:32 PM »
I think it's a really good book.

Offline THEBBQMAN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2017, 11:03:44 AM »
 just received my copy of Pizza Today magazine and it has a short article in it about Joe Beddia and his now famous pizzeria in PA.
The article says he ferments his dough for 36 hours and cooks his pies for 10 minutes at 600 degrees.
Says he will be a featured speaker at the Pizza & Pasta Northeast trade show October 17-18 at the Atlantic City Convention Center.

Offline kramer73

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 06:51:44 AM »
For those of you who have tried the dough recipe, what did you think?  I couldn't bring myself to use the amount of salt that he used.  The pizza still tasted great though.
Andy

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »
I really enjoyed reading this book.  Joe Beddia really revealed a lot about himself and his philosophy of pizza and life (the same thing I guess!).  I think the pizza dough recipe he gives is the same one he uses in the restaurant.  And he does give pretty detailed instructions as to how to make the pizzas.  Overall it is a great and quick read and very helpful to pizzamakers. Highly recommended!